Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jared Burton: Reds bullpen or AAA?

Jared Burton: Reds bullpen or AAA?

I know this is going to stir up a Hornets Nest, but Burton has not been the best reliever in spring training so far. 4 games, a 9.00 ERA, 8 hits, 4 runs, 4 earned, 2 HR, 0 walks, and 3 strikeouts. I know everyone has considered him a lock, but he really has not been overpowering in spring training.

I am not aware of whatever options he may have, but I think you might consider sending him to AAA. Bullpen spots are at a premium, and you don't let him go north if he will not be ready. He has spent his year on the roster, so I believe he can be sent to AAA now if we need to.

I do hope he does better and is one of the players to start Opening Day in Cincinnati, but I think you have to consider starting him in Louisville as well.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    part of BBN

Re: Jared Burton: Reds bullpen or AAA?

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I know this is going to stir up a Hornets Nest, but Burton has not been the best reliever in spring training so far. 4 games, a 9.00 ERA, 8 hits, 4 runs, 4 earned, 2 HR, 0 walks, and 3 strikeouts. I know everyone has considered him a lock, but he really has not been overpowering in spring training.

I am not aware of whatever options he may have, but I think you might consider sending him to AAA. Bullpen spots are at a premium, and you don't let him go north if he will not be ready. He has spent his year on the roster, so I believe he can be sent to AAA now if we need to.

I do hope he does better and is one of the players to start Opening Day in Cincinnati, but I think you have to consider starting him in Louisville as well.
    I agree.
    I have high hopes for Burton to pick up where he left off but frankly with the spring he is having , it sorta surprises me how many writers still list him as a lock. I mean they do that with most vets but he is coming off a first year.
    He certainly has the stuff our bp needs coming into a game late.

Burton is a lock. Did you watch him in the 2nd half of the 2007 season?

I think he needs to be on the team. I mean, I was under the impression that the Reds were counting on him as a late inning reliever this year. If he struggles in the first four to six weeks, then I'd send him down.

3 of those runs came in 1 outing.

Give me a break.

If Burton doesn't make the team, that's the stupidest move ever. He was our best second half pitcher.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

It's spring training. He should be with the club.

Quote Originally Posted by big boy View Post
    Burton is a lock. Did you watch him in the 2nd half of the 2007 season?
    I did. I also realize he is not exactly an established player, and may not be the same player he was last year. I don't think you can discount the possibility of AAA. There is no doubt he has outstanding stuff and will be a part of the Reds for a long time to come, but there may be other players who might be better on the Reds bullpen this year.

well at least some of these people on redszone have enough sense to throw out the spring training stats and accept he'll be on the opening day roster.
    [U]
    "I suppose that if stats mongers want to sit at their computers and play with these things all day long, that’s their prerogative. But their attempt to introduce these new-age statistics into the game threatens to undermine most fans’ enjoyment of baseball and the human factor therein. People play baseball. Numbers don’t."[35]-Murray Chass[/U

"I suppose that if stats mongers want to sit at their computers and play with these things all day long, that’s their prerogative. But their attempt to introduce these new-age statistics into the game threatens to undermine most fans’ enjoyment of baseball and the human factor therein. People play baseball. Numbers don’t."[35]-Murray Chass

part of BBN

Another tough outing for Burton.
    Despite what some in this thread insist on, I dont think he is a lock unless he turns it around quickly.
    Will he be good ? Ithink so.
    He wouldnt be the first pitcher however that had to spend some of his second big league season in Triple A.
    Last edited by jmac; 03-21-2008 at 02:15 AM.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by sweetsport06 View Post
    well at least some of these people on redszone have enough sense to throw out the spring training stats and accept he'll be on the opening day roster.
    [U]
    "I suppose that if stats mongers want to sit at their computers and play with these things all day long, that’s their prerogative. But their attempt to introduce these new-age statistics into the game threatens to undermine most fans’ enjoyment of baseball and the human factor therein. People play baseball. Numbers don’t."[35]-Murray Chass[/U
    Stats are one thing.
    Pitching results are another.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I did. I also realize he is not exactly an established player, and may not be the same player he was last year. I don't think you can discount the possibility of AAA. There is no doubt he has outstanding stuff and will be a part of the Reds for a long time to come, but there may be other players who might be better on the Reds bullpen this year.
    While he may not be established, he is more established than the players competing with him. He will likely pitch the seventh, leaving Weathers the eigth, and Cordero to close it out.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Reds1990

Anybody Concerned about Burton?

I know he finished strong last year. He gave up three more runs on four hits in an inning lastnight. The thing that is working aginast him is all the guys in camp. Lastnight was only his fifth inning ini camp this spring. I hope some cuts are coming and that more work in the next week means he'll be in a groove to start the season. Last year he seemed to be a slow starter. I'm a little concerned! Hopefully he gets it worked out by opening day!

He will make the roster. Bottom line is, we don't have enough RIGHT HANDED bullpen guys - unless you're counting on a Belisle/Fogg (loser of the #5 SP spot).

* - for sure locks
    . - IMO the other 3

Righties:
    *Cordero
    *Weathers
    .Coffey
    .Burton
    Belisle/Fogg(?)

Lefties:
    *Affeldt
    *Stanton (ugh, but the writing is on the wall)
    .Bray
    Cout
    Mercker (has looked pretty good in ST so far)
    Capellan

No way we are going with 4 Lefties in the Bullpen, and IF we were - it would be at the cost of a 13th position player, and you've got Cout and Mercker who might get it instead.

Burton is a lock - unless you want to look at Majewski or someone they already sent down (Roenicke, McBeth) for a righty bullpen guy.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Turn Off Ads?