Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jared Burton

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Jared Burton

His last 10 outings:

10.2 innings, 7 hits, 1 earned run, 6 walks, 9 K's.
    Opponents are batting .197 against him.
    His ERA is down to 3.48.

It appears that if he can get his walks down that he's putting things together.

Let's hope.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jared Burton

At the game tonight. He struck out a pair and got a fly out [IIRC]. He looked really sharp....unlike a certain Cuban import.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I would not be surprised at some point to see him back up in Cincy taking the place of an injured arm or Jordan Smith.

Getting him back to the form of two years ago would go a long way to us winning the division. The guy we need to get back on track is Herrera now. That situational lefty.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I would not be surprised at some point to see him back up in Cincy taking the place of an injured arm or Jordan Smith.
    JMO but I think I'd rather have Jordan Smith on the roster than Ondrusek. Yeah Ondrusek has looked much better as of late but Smith has really looked just as good with better control from what I have seen.

On Herrera, not sure you can get him back on track I think people are on to him now and unless he finds a couple more MPH not sure he will ever get close to how he looked last season.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    JMO but I think I'd rather have Jordan Smith on the roster than Ondrusek. Yeah Ondrusek has looked much better as of late but Smith has really looked just as good with better control from what I have seen.

On Herrera, not sure you can get him back on track I think people are on to him now and unless he finds a couple more MPH not sure he will ever get close to how he looked last season.
    I think the problem with Herera is exactly the opposite. His screwball is coming in around 75 MPH. With his FB sitting at 81,83 there just isn't the velocity difference there once was. He needs to figure out how to take MPH OFF his screwball and get it back into the 60's like it initially was.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Regarding Herrera, I think the problem boils down to control. His BB/9 is better this year, but I think that's because he's getting hit instead. Some guys can get away with the occasional mistake. Not Herrera. His stuff is so slow that it's virtually impossible for him to get away with mistakes.

He gets guys out by have them jump at his stuff. But guys have learned to just wait for something in the zone and that they can react to it.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 07-08-2010 at 06:29 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    At the game tonight. He struck out a pair and got a fly out [IIRC]. He looked really sharp....unlike a certain Cuban import.
    What was his velocity? IIRC, there was some concern about it on RZ.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    What was his velocity? IIRC, there was some concern about it on RZ.
    I've seen him throw up to 85 for sure and I think maybe an 86er in there a few times (in the past, not sure where he is sitting currently). But as RMR said guys are just sitting and waiting on slow stuff and that's about all he has got. He might be able to slow down his scroogie a bit and that may help but until he does something to space out those MPH's he isn't gonna be effective. Problem is he barely gets those pitches up to the plate at that speed as is, which costs him alot of low pitches (even some strikes) being called balls.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

I think Red Van Hot was asking about Burton's velocity, not Herrera.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Turn Off Ads?