Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: This is a first for me, got fired from my job today

This is a first for me, got fired from my job today

2 weeks away from a move back to Cincinnati, with an apartment there waiting on me and my family, and my company fires me today...for doing extra work and helping other co-workers get caught up with their work when I had all of my work completed. I know it doesn't make sense, it doesn't make sense to me either, or the remaining co-workers in the office I left. They said I should have gotten a raise, not gotten fired for being a nice guy, but some were upset that I was helping one person get higher commissions and bonuses than they were, and complained about it which got me a write-up last week (giving them the opportunity to show I was fired for cause and deny me unemployment, the company hasn't paid a former employee unemployment one time in the last 67 years, I saw this coming, as I've fought unemployment claims for them myself) and fired today.

I've never been fired, never had to write that word "terminated" on an application for reason for leaving last job, and I'm struggling with how to walk into an interview and tell the recruiter with a straight face that I was let go for doing extra work and helping out my co-workers and get them to believe me.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: This is a first for me, got fired from my job today

Ouch.

Been there man. There isn't a lot of advice I can give other than polish the resume right away and get to applying, especially if you aren't going to get unemployment or severance or anything.

I got fired two years ago this past April. I applied for the job I have now the next day. Now I didn't get officially hired for a couple months, but it was the first job I applied for right out of the gate.

Unless you've got a nest egg to rest on, i wouldn't spend a lot of time licking my wounds, I'd jump right back in the game as quick as you can.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

File for unemployment anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

Unless you've got a nest egg to rest on, i wouldn't spend a lot of time licking my wounds, I'd jump right back in the game as quick as you can.
    No nest egg to rest on, but a lot of debt to motivate me.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    File for unemployment anyway.
    This. The worst that can happen is you get denied.

Don't worry to much about what you have to tell a recruiter, most are professional liars. 99% of them will lie directly to your face, so that works both ways. Just tell them you were laid off.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post

Don't worry to much about what you have to tell a recruiter, most are professional liars. 99% of them will lie directly to your face, so that works both ways. Just tell them you were laid off.
    This is probably true. I know I've been lied to by recruiters, and when I was recruiting for this company, I know I lied then as well.

Only 14, so I haven't gotten my first job yet, but good luck, man. God bless!

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Consider yourself lucky for lasting this long with getting fired. Recruiters know this, so it really won't be much of an hinderance. And the entire job hunting world is based on "embellishment," so considering you're a comedian, I'd say play it up the best you can, you might even be able to spin it to your advantage with the right story.

Best of luck!
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    And the entire job hunting world is based on "embellishment," so considering you're a comedian, I'd say play it up the best you can, you might even be able to spin it to your advantage with the right story.
    That's what I've been doing all day.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    That's what I've been doing all day.
    You've always struck me as a stand up guy sava, sorry to hear. How long were you employed, and in what field?

Few things I'd throw in...
    Employers are only allowed to share dates of employment...not reasons for terminations, rehire status etc.
    Not sure how the state unemployment is....but typically it doesn't matter if the company wants to or not.....they have to term for cause, and if not, you should be eligible for unemployment.

Wordsmith however you want, but honestly is always the best course of action. Some of the best employees I've had were 'fired' from their previous job. It happens, and I appreciate someone being honest up front.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I was a legal assistant in a collection law firm for 2 1/2 years, spending some of that time as the support department supervisor.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I was a legal assistant in a collection law firm for 2 1/2 years, spending some of that time as the support department supervisor.
    no wonder they fight so hard on unemployment cases

Keep your head up sava, I'm sure theres a great job out there that will appreciate someone with a great team attitude and loyalty like yours.

good luck~
    vr
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Sava,

I echo the smart advice given to you by everyone else.
    Just curious though, you said you were moving to Cincinnati, were you going to be working for the same firm in Cincy?

Good luck, and keep your head up.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post

Few things I'd throw in...
    Employers are only allowed to share dates of employment...not reasons for terminations, rehire status etc.
    Not sure how the state unemployment is....but typically it doesn't matter if the company wants to or not.....they have to term for cause, and if not, you should be eligible for unemployment.
    Not to be nit-picky, but that isn't true. It might be company policy to not give anything more than dates of employment, but it's not the law. Employers can give more information if they choose to do so. There is a myth that employers can't give bad references, that is 100% incorrect. They can give you a bad reference, IF, it's factual or without malice. The issue of slander or defamation comes into play only if your former employer knowingly gives false information that prevents you from gaining future employment. If you were to sue, you'd also have to prove they knowing gave false information to a prospective employer and prove damages (that their reference cost you the position, which no hiring company is going to admit to you), and most states have held harmless laws for employers in this area in any event.

With that said, most companys don't bother, they don't feel like paying the legal bills (even though the employer would probably win 99% of the cases).
    Last edited by Reds4Life; 07-16-2010 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Sava,

I echo the smart advice given to you by everyone else.
    Just curious though, you said you were moving to Cincinnati, were you going to be working for the same firm in Cincy?

Good luck, and keep your head up.
    I was, yes.

Turn Off Ads?