Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boston Acquired RHP Brendan Donnelly

Boston Acquired RHP Brendan Donnelly

From Rotoworld:

Red Sox acquired RHP Brendan Donnelly from the Angels for LHP Phil Seibel.

Donnelly isn't the answer in the closer's role for the Red Sox, but at this price, it's a pretty good pickup. The 35-year-old Donnelly's ERA has gone up each of the last three years, reaching 3.94 last season. Still, the league still batted just .240 against him and he struck out 53 in 64 innings, suggesting that he's likely to remain a decent sixth- or seventh-inning guy for another year or two. Also, he's due to make only about $2 million in arbitration. Dec. 15 - 2:29 pm et
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Red Sox Acquired RHP Brendan Donnelly

And we couldnt match or beat that offer?

Once agan..

Sitting on your ass does nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post

Once agan..

exactly how many over 35 middle relievers do you think the Reds need?

Now if they acquired another decent starting pitcher, that would hack me off.

This? pheh.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Good pickup for the Sox.

Once agan..

We just signed his clone, David Weathers, to a similar deal. We don't need another aging bullpen guy. Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post

Once agan..

Yes, without a doubt not acquring Brendan Donnelly is what will cost the Reds the pennant.

I don't know. He has a funny timeline.

The guy flounders ten years in the minors/becomes unhittable major league set-up/Grimsley busted/decrees in velocity/reportedy about to be DFA/traded

I'd pass on the guy. Even if his statistics remained pretty consistent, he was demoted to a lesser bullpen role when his velocity disappeared.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

i'd rather have Donnelly than Cormier or Stanton.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

I desperately wanted Donnelly, what the heck is the matter with Krivsky

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Yes, without a doubt not acquring Brendan Donnelly is what will cost the Reds the pennant.
    If Donnelly were to have been picked up last year the Reds would have been in the playoffs and the Cardinals would not have been. He was better than at least 50% of what we had last year and all those blown games by the bullpen could have been stopped by just one or two really good relief pitchers. Keeping Hancock probably would have meant a playoff spot last year and Kearns or Lopez might have been traded for something else later... Yes the little pickups can mean a lot.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    If Donnelly were to have been picked up last year the Reds would have been in the playoffs and the Cardinals would not have been. He was better than at least 50% of what we had last year and all those blown games by the bullpen could have been stopped by just one or two really good relief pitchers. Keeping Hancock probably would have meant a playoff spot last year and Kearns or Lopez might have been traded for something else later... Yes the little pickups can mean a lot.
    Let me just repeat: Donnelly would have been, hands down, the best bullpen pitcher on the team last season and probably this season.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Let me just repeat: Donnelly would have been, hands down, the best bullpen pitcher on the team last season and probably this season.
    I totally disagree. The guy's velocity disappeared last season. I can't explain his stats, but talk to anyone who saw him pitch. Bingo-bang, it was there suddenly after ten years in the minors, then, just as suddenly, it was gone.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

his velocity or whatever you call it, resulted in an effectiveness that exceeded our detritus

White Sox Fan

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    I desperately wanted Donnelly, what the heck is the matter with Krivsky
    Donnelly never played for the Twins

good point maybe krivsky will acquire Carl Willis, Jim Merritt and Gerry Arrigo along with the resharpened blade, Tom Hall

Turn Off Ads?