Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bruce for Upton?

Ya can't teach speed...

Re: Bruce for Upton?

Doug:

I would concur. I met Jay in Chattanooga during his brief stay there, and was able to speak to him for a couple of minutes. Ironic thing was I didn't know who he was; he was just introduced to me as Jay. At first I thought it was Jay Garthwaite until he turned around and I saw the name on the back of his jersey. When I realized who I was talking to I was even more impressed by his demeanor and his maturity. He was very respectful to both my wife and me. His parents should be commended for his upbringing.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I can't really comment on Upton, but I just wanted to chime in with Jay for this one. I met him back when he was playing in Dayton, and the kid was about as down to Earth as he possibly could be. Everytime I read something he says, or something he has done off the field, its always the right thing.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I can't really comment on Upton, but I just wanted to chime in with Jay for this one. I met him back when he was playing in Dayton, and the kid was about as down to Earth as he possibly could be. Everytime I read something he says, or something he has done off the field, its always the right thing.
    Nice Guys

http://www.redszone.com/forums/attac...1&d=1189012659

Senor Votto

Tough question I like them both. I don't know why but I'll stick with Bruce

it's still early on...but you have to be more impressed with upton right now as opposed to bruce (even with the injury).

Sure, Upton is better right now but let's revisit this in two years. Upton may still be better but I bet Bruce isn't far behind.

Jay plays better defense. That's about all he has on Upton, and I don't see that changing.

No way!! Upton and his brother have both been offered contract extensions and have said they would both rather go year to year. So in the end it's NY, Bos, L.A. ect. With Jay if we keep Joey and some how figure out how to win I think he might stay.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Sure, Upton is better right now but let's revisit this in two years. Upton may still be better but I bet Bruce isn't far behind.
    Maybe so...but the original post was made 2 years ago. And Upton has proven more in those 2 years. You can't discount the value that Upton has already brought currently to what he (vs. Bruce) projects 2 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    if you saw the throw Upton made in the futures game you wouldn't worry about his arm, he has a cannon. I have never seen Bruce throw.
    NM, I failed to notice this thread originally started 2 years ago.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 08-10-2009 at 03:01 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Maybe so...but the original post was made 2 years ago. And Upton has proven more in those 2 years. You can't discount the value that Upton has already brought currently to what he (vs. Bruce) projects 2 years from now.
    I don't really think so I mean yeah he's hitting well now but he never showed anymore than Bruce of that until about 2-3 months ago. He has about a half a season worth of PA's on Bruce so too soon to say. If Bruce doesn't get hurt maybe he's hitting closer to his ceiling right about now. Upton takes a few more BB's I'll give him that but he strikes out more too and with less power.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 08-10-2009 at 03:10 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Looking back ... IMO this thread is an excellent example of the bias in evaluating your own.

Who will be the better player? That still remains to be seen but I think the difference between them is a lot less than the 2009 numbers indicate(although I have always liked Upton's peripherals a bit better but the difference is certainly not huge).

Good point flyer... If you were to pose this question to an unbiased fanbase, you would probably get a 60/40 to a 70/30 split in favor of Upton...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Good point flyer... If you were to pose this question to an unbiased fanbase, you would probably get a 60/40 to a 70/30 split in favor of Upton...
    I would bet the ratio would be much more drastic then that. What have you done for me lately is all that matters to most fans and I can't say I would disagree in this case. Upton over Bruce by a pretty wide margin until Bruce proves he can hit consistently in the majors.

IIRC, even when Bruce hype was at a full-blown level and he was about to be named BA's player of the year, while Upton was struggling at the pro level, even guys like Callis still said Upton over Bruce.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Seeing Upton's name mentioned in that other thread reminded me of this thread, which it looks like hasn't been resurrected in a while!

It's still early in the careers, but...

Bruce's total WAR - 12.6
    Upton's total WAR -15.5

Turn Off Ads?