Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: This Reds team is 2 moves from winning a WS

This Reds team is 2 moves from winning a WS

But they are going to do what they always do. Sit on their thunmbs and let their young talents value go down the drain. I dont get it. Make a move Walt get us to a WS. Sure this team is good but they are not great. Get us at least a LF because Gomes isnt the answer there my friend. Get off your thumbs and do your job.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: This Reds team is 2 moves from winning a WS

3 moves.

1. Good leadoff hitter. Choo
    2. Good hitter behind Votto. Beltran
    3. Ace starter. Lee, Greinke, or other.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    3 moves.

You're barking up the wrong Tree with Beltran unless they eat his Salary and take Cordero and his contract. Then it still is a bad move... He is not that great of an Outfielder anymore and moving to Left would just add...

I think Gomes hits as many Homers and Drives in as many runs as Beltran in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    You're barking up the wrong Tree with Beltran unless they eat his Salary and take Cordero and his contract. Then it still is a bad move... He is not that great of an Outfielder anymore and moving to Left would just add...

I think Gomes hits as many Homers and Drives in as many runs as Beltran in 2011
    Gomes is done. He had a 6 week hot streak and he was figured out from that point on.

Rolen won't hold up all season.

If we don't get a better bat behind Votto, we may not even win the division next season.

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    But they are going to do what they always do. Sit on their thunmbs and let their young talents value go down the drain. I dont get it. Make a move Walt get us to a WS. Sure this team is good but they are not great. Get us at least a LF because Gomes isnt the answer there my friend. Get off your thumbs and do your job.
    And you know he is not how? You are assuming that he is just sitting there and doing nothing. Could it be there is no one available at this time that is worth anything or worth giving up anything for? What proof do you have that he is not trying?

Gomes is done. He had a 6 week hot streak and he was figured out from that point on.

If we don't get a better bat behind Votto, we may not even win the division next season.

put Bruce there

3 moves.

want no part of Beltran, we don't need an ACE and can't afford Lee and don't want to give up what it would take to get Greinke, plus not convinced he is better then what we have and have cheaper.

Jay Bruce.

What deal so far would you take?

Werth - terrible contract. Would probably not fit in the team budget
    Theriot - Reds have better on the team now
    Berkman - Maybe. Yet again, I am not sure an extra $8 million fits in the budget (that is not Walt's decision).
    Mark Reynolds - No thanks

There are more but I don't want to go into all of them.

The only one that would have been nice is Marcum, but I am not sure where he would fit in an already full rotation. Cueto and Arroyo are locked in. You would add Marcum to Wood, Leake, Bailey, Chapman, and Volquez for the final 3. He might not even make the rotation.

Just because something has not been done does not mean nothing is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post

Berkman - Maybe. Yet again, I am not sure an extra $8 million fits in the budget (that is not Walt's decision).

The only one that would have been nice is Marcum, but I am not sure where he would fit in an already full rotation. Cueto and Arroyo are locked in. You would add Marcum to Wood, Leake, Bailey, Chapman, and Volquez for the final 3. He might not even make the rotation.

Could you please never again mention this team and Theriot in the same post again. He can rot over there where he plays ball now...

Marcum? Give me a Break. I think that acquisition is about as poignant of a move as signing Randy Wolf last year...

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post

I agree with everything you said. I wouldn't have liked any of those moves.

Marcum wouldn't have upset me, but he is not an ace, and we have comparable pitchers already.

Beltran has one year left on his contract. I don't want him unless the trade equals out salary-wise. A one year risk I'm willing to take if we're able to unload Cordero in the deal.

More than anything I want Choo from the Indians. They have so many needs that one guy isn't going to save that organization. If we can give them several quality building blocks, I think they would listen.

An Ace is going to be hard to come by, but without one, if we make it to the playoffs, we will continue to not go far because we lack a true Ace.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Marcum? Give me a Break. I think that acquisition is about as poignant of a move as signing Randy Wolf last year...
    Well, I was only picking out the one deal the Reds could have pulled off, and was for a player of any value. Yet he is not needed for the Reds.

Anyway, my point is you can only evaluate what is being done by what has been done in MLB. So far, there is nothing that stands out where I think "damn, Walt should have gotten involved and offered as much if not more."

Until then, I am not going to get worked up about any lack of movement. So many people just want an acquisition or trade just for the sake of an acquisition or trade. That makes no sense, and in no way would show Walt is busy, nor does a lack of one mean he is not busy trying to make a deal.

Few, getting to your original point, there are a lot of teams out there that are one or two players away from being a WS contender. Heck, there are teams that have everything a WS team needs but don't make it past the first round of the playoffs. However, its just not that simple. As scott pointed out, there isn't much out there right now. Its just fantasy baseball to say add this guy and that guy.

From an outsiders perspective, I think the one thing the Reds truely need is an Ace in the front of the rotation. All of the teams that advanced to the LCS had ace pitchers. It is just essential right now in todays game if teams are going to get a sniff of the WS. It is almost at the point now where teams need almost 2 ace type pitchers. Arroyo is a nice pitcher but he isn't the type of guy you want starting in Game 1 of a playoff series. Volquez and Cueto are too wild and inconsistent, in my opinion, to be aces right now. The young pitchers you have might be aces in the future but they are too young at this point to qualify as aces. I know I'm not saying anything new that nobody hasn't already stated, its just that not having an ace is such a glaring need.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of and the very reason I wish the Reds would add another big bat to the lineup.

I'm not sure now what the greater need is. If you were Walt would you be going after Greinke or a left fielder if you could only have one?

Turn Off Ads?