Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who is the most impactual bat to likely break onto the 25-man squad by 2015?

Re: Who is the most impactual bat to likely break onto the 25-man squad by 2015?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    The sad answer is almost certainly "none".
    I agree with the answer, though I'd stop short of calling it sad. I think they might have a few guys on a 2016-17 arrival schedule. Development requires patience. It just means the team needs to go out and get itself LF for a couple of years.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

HokieRed (05-30-2014),Old school 1983 (05-30-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is the most impactual bat to likely break onto the 25-man squad by 2015?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I agree with the answer, though I'd stop short of calling it sad. I think they might have a few guys on a 2016-17 arrival schedule. Development requires patience. It just means the team needs to go out and get itself LF for a couple of years.
    I agree with both of you. None-- but the situation isn't sad or bleak. The Reds just got Hamilton up through their farm system this year, and while there isn't anyone ready for next year per se, they still have Winker who I think will be a really good hitter for the big club in a few years. I really like that kid. Ervin had a wrist injury last year, so that could still be hampering him. Junior Arias is an interesting prospect, but he's out injured. Yorman is what he is, a C+ prospect who could go either way-- SMB is performing better than expected and could make it. They signed Reydel Medina from Cuba for $400,000 who is an interesting prospect.

The Reds depth in the minors is pitching which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Everyone is always looking for pitching. It would be nice if the Reds didn't draft a Dog in the 2nd round this year. I'll give Franklin a pass last year--- but their 2nd round picks the previous 3 drafts brought these awesome hitters. Rahier, Rosa and LaMarre. Of course they got BH and Cozart in the 2nd round the 2 drafts before that-- so fingers crossed they hit on a 2nd round pick this year.

After reading what I wrote-- if the Reds didn't have Winker in their farm system-- I would call the hitting prospects the Reds have as sad. But with 2 solid draft's and international signings,you can replenish your farm system quick. (Not that the Reds have a bad one-- middle of the pack- but just heavy on pitching)

But the good news potentially (for the farm system that is, not the big club) is that the Reds probably can't resign Latos, Leake and Cueto--- and trading someone like Cueto away for Joc Pederson and Corey Seager would really help the Reds out adding a MLb ready OF and a very good SS prospect.

5. Likes:

Benihana (05-29-2014)

Winker should be ready sometime in 2016.
    After him, it's anyone's guess.

Ladeda,

Completely disagree with you about Yorman,

1.) He is the 2nd youngest position player in AA. He was born August 15, 1992 while the #1 pick last year Ervin was born July 15, 1992 making Yorman a month younger than Ervin while 2 levels higher.
    2.) He can play all 3 out field positions he projects to be able to play good defensively in CF in the majors which is a huge boost.
    3.) Guy strained his abs and has been off since then, earlier this year he was hitting over .300 in AA with under a year in AA. Florida is a pitchers league dominated by 22 to 24 year old prospects.
    4.) He is still growing into his body.

Doug's take and I agree with him on this is we will bring him up to play outfield and the Reds will not see the full impact of his ability until the 3rd or 4th year. When he hits his prime in his 5th year we will have to make an expensive decision on him, and more than likely his best ball will never be played in Cincinnati. The other issue here is Winkler who projects as a 25/90 guy in the majors and can only play LF. We will have a log jam in 16/17 with Ervin, Yorman, Billy, and Winkler, along with Bruce who is signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladeda View Post
    I agree with both of you. None-- but the situation isn't sad or bleak. The Reds just got Hamilton up through their farm system this year, and while there isn't anyone ready for next year per se, they still have Winker who I think will be a really good hitter for the big club in a few years. I really like that kid. Ervin had a wrist injury last year, so that could still be hampering him. Junior Arias is an interesting prospect, but he's out injured. Yorman is what he is, a C+ prospect who could go either way-- SMB is performing better than expected and could make it. They signed Reydel Medina from Cuba for $400,000 who is an interesting prospect.

The Reds depth in the minors is pitching which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Everyone is always looking for pitching. It would be nice if the Reds didn't draft a Dog in the 2nd round this year. I'll give Franklin a pass last year--- but their 2nd round picks the previous 3 drafts brought these awesome hitters. Rahier, Rosa and LaMarre. Of course they got BH and Cozart in the 2nd round the 2 drafts before that-- so fingers crossed they hit on a 2nd round pick this year.

I think you are underselling Rahier quite a bit, or at least giving up on him too soon.

His plate discipline is much improved so far this season, and he does have a little pop in his bat. He is holding his own in Dayton as a 20 year old, there are worse prospects out there.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Jesse Winker may be ready at some point later in 2015. Yorman Rodriguez could be an impact bat down the road, but I doubt he is an impact bat in the next few years even though he may reach the majors in the next two seasons. Lutz is currently up, and he is intriguing. Probably not an all-star caliber bat, but there is a chance he can be a quality bat in the lineup who brings some real pop.
    He must have heard you.

He has been particularly hot over his last 10 games, hitting .452/.549/.881 with three doubles and five home runs, and is hitting .320/.417/.558 for the season.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?