Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Directv Genie

Directv Genie

Anyone have this?

I've been a Directv user for almost 7 years. I really have no huge beefs in comparison to other cable providers I've had over these many years.

Anyway.... I got a call from them yesterday... you know, one of them calls where every five seconds they are constantly thanking you for being a LOYAL Directv customer... and they offered me the Genie, and three mini Genies ... again, because I've been such a loyal customer.... absolutely free.

When I asked them about hidden charges/fees, do I have to pay for installation, they said it was all free. I haven't been under any contract with them for years, so the only "catch" was I had to enter into a 2 yr contract. I had no problem with that because I wasn't planning on leaving them anyway.

And while I had them on the line I juked them on the NFL Sunday ticket. I'm getting it for $25/month (payable over 6 months).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Directv Genie

The 2 yr thing could turn out to be a big catch. Also, I know she looks thin on tv but she has to eat something.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

4. Likes:

BillDoran (06-24-2013),wolfboy (06-24-2013)

The 2 year agreement is pretty standard for DirectTv. GAC I'm in the same situation as you but holding off for a bit. Here's why. They have 2 different DVR's referred to as Genies. The HR-34 and the HR-44. The 44 is brand new and just rolling out. My DVR's are the relatively ancient Hr-20's.

If I'm going to upgrade I want to ensure I upgrade to the latest/greatest (the 44). So I'm waiting a bit to e\nsure I get a 44.

Also GAC about 5 weeks ago they changed the price on maintenance to $7.99 a month and said everyone on maintenance whose equipment was over 2 years got new equipment so it's a pretty standard thing.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 06-23-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The 2 yr thing could turn out to be a big catch. Also, I know she looks thin on tv but she has to eat something.
    Yeah, but if the service includes this, it's totally worth it:

For some reason I suspect it does not.
    Last edited by wolfboy; 06-24-2013 at 03:22 PM.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I don't understand why they just don't go wireless. The swim they use to power the genie is using some serious electric power. Would say its adding 15.00 a month to your electric bill if you have to use a swim with the Genie.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Wireless from what point to what point? The word on the street is that the new genie (HR-44) will have the ability to go wireless to the clients.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Wireless from what point to what point? The word on the street is that the new genie (HR-44) will have the ability to go wireless to the clients.
    Wireless box to box and to DL content.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

They were suppose to come out on Monday and install it, but the rep called me and said he was running behind. It was getting late so I told him to reschedule it for sometime later this week. Still waiting for them to give me the call-back. I told them that if it's not done this week sometime they're gonna have to wait because next week we're gone on vacation.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

Can you keep an HD-DVR and other HD receivers with the genie or are you required to get those mini genies?
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

You can mix and match a Genie and regular DVR but at least for now, only 1 genie

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Anyone have this?

I've been a Directv user for almost 7 years. I really have no huge beefs in comparison to other cable providers I've had over these many years.

Anyway.... I got a call from them yesterday... you know, one of them calls where every five seconds they are constantly thanking you for being a LOYAL Directv customer... and they offered me the Genie, and three mini Genies ... again, because I've been such a loyal customer.... absolutely free.

When I asked them about hidden charges/fees, do I have to pay for installation, they said it was all free. I haven't been under any contract with them for years, so the only "catch" was I had to enter into a 2 yr contract. I had no problem with that because I wasn't planning on leaving them anyway.

And while I had them on the line I juked them on the NFL Sunday ticket. I'm getting it for $25/month (payable over 6 months).

If your paying anything more than 10-15 bucks a month for the ticket then they are screwing you.....I have had the ticket for 7 straight years now and have never paid more than 15 a month....last 2 years I got it free....that's right, 100% free of charge with all the bells and whistles. All you have to do is call the retention department and tell them your mad that people you know are getting it cheaper....on rare occasion you might have to accept nothing and call back the next day and get someone different on the phone. You'll be shocked at how much more other people can give you.....the retention dept can give out free deals all the time, but sometimes you simply get a stubborn person. Honestly GAC, you should easily get it for free if you've been a member for more than 5 years and had no contract with them. I would call back and complain.

I've actually gotten the NFL ticket free in the last few years, but this past year I must have gotten one of those "stubborn" people because I couldn't get them any farther down then $30/month. I took it, and then went into my account and took off around $30/month in programming to off-set it.

How do you get a hold of this Retention Department? I'll give it a try. I've been pretty good at juking Directv over the last few years on getting discounts, etc. All you have to do is mention the competition, and they're making you a sweet offer, and Directv will give you stuff.

I always ask for the retention dept when I get customer service on the line....soon as they get on the line I tell them that I was talking to some people who got the NFL ticket for free and that it ticks me off because I have been with them for 15 years and I have to pay for it....like I said, you might have to try a different person from time to time but normally you can get it for free.....I even had the guy last year start laughing, then I started laughing and asked him if he was laughing at the fact that I call every year with the same story and get the ticket for free!!!!, he just kind of laughed some more and told me it was oK that I am not the only person who does this. Granted, he was a pretty cool retention employee, he told me some other tricks I could do at certain times of the year to get free HBO and other movie channels...

For instance, always call and do the buy 3 months of movie channels and get 3 months for free....then after you have paid your 3 months call them and cancel, I always put a reminder in my phone calendar to remind me a few days early....then when you cancel, they will almost always give you 3 more months for free, sometimes 6 months...so you basically pay for 3 months and end up getting 6-9 months for free...

another trick the guy told me is to call them and tell them your box is making noises that are to loud for your comfort level and have them send over a installer to check it out...he will find that nothing is wrong and he will love you for the call because he gets paid for the visit by DTV and he will spend 15 minutes tops at your house.....then call again in a few weeks and tell them its still happening at different times of the day, you will almost always be given a new box and most of the time you get the newest model they have....you only want to do this if you have older equipment.

another one the guy told me to do is call and actually cancel and set it up for a date, like 2 weeks away and tell them your switching to Dish, dont let them talk you out of it either....then a few days before the switch is supposed to be made, call them back and tell them that Dish is screwing you over on the price and your thinking about staying with DTV and he said the retention dept will give you every free option that they can.....I did that once and I got the highest package you could get for a year for the price of the lowest package, free HD for life and 10 free movie rentals.

Like I said, some people in the retention dept are pretty cool and they know all the tricks and they understand you are just trying to save money...other people in the retention dept also know all the tricks and are there to try and stop you from getting one over on them. in my 5-6 years of doing all these tricks and complaining about something i have only had to call back 3 times to get what I wanted....

some might call it fishy or whatever, but I call it saving money.

16. Likes:

LexRedsFan (07-19-2013)

I did eventually get my new equipment. Got the HR-44. It is about 1/3 the size of my old HR-720. And the clients are incredibly small. About the size of an 8 track tape.

Is this truly free over existing DVR setups? No hidden Genie fees? I got this notice for a free Genie system, and have had DTVwDVR for 7 years. The fine print looked a little shady. Something about a SuperDVR fee of $25 and then $10 per receiver. I have 3 TVs. That could tack serious fees on my setup. My current bill lists "plus HD DVR. I pay $10 in receiver fees currently.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?