Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 4/10/13 - Reds at Cardinals

Re: 4/10/13 - Reds at Cardinals

This thread is amusing

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    That is true. Because like LaRussa, Matheny is an idiot.
    haha dude please get me to your dealer man. Is LaRussa Machiavellian? Yes. Was he easily the most hate-able manager in baseball? Yes. However an idiot he was not.

I will make an assumption that the Angels, Nats, and Cardinals will all finish above .500 this year which isn't far-fetched. If this occurs, the Reds would have a .555 winning percentage against teams with a winning record thus far which is excellent. If this continues, the Reds will easily win the division again.

You Sir, are ignorant of the facts. Beltran far and away the better defensive player. He glides to the balls while Jay starts one way, changes his rout and
    gets to balls, ending up on the ground on plays that Carlos would catch in stride.

The toe argument is rediculas. Would his toe bother him more in CF? Look at Jay's numbers compared to Kosma. It's a no brainer. Bottom line: you gotta get Adams in the lineup every day. Jay should sit.
    The toe argument isn't ridiculous considering that it's still broke and Beltran has shown early this season that he's had diminished range because of it. Besides, Jay put up almost a 4 UZR last season at CF so I don't know why you would want to sit a player who's clearly a plus defender in CF.

I'm glad you're a fan of small sample sizes because I'm not. Right now Kosma is putting up better numbers than Jay, but Jay has proven to be a great OBP guy at the top of the lineup where as Kosma hasn't really proven anything. You also forget that Kosma is generally hitting 8th, which means he will see better pitches due to the pitcher spot being behind him. Adams will get his playing time. If he starts 2-3 times per week, that will be good enough right now in his young MLB career.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    haha you're really going off of last year's numbers when he had to spot start from AAA due to Craig's injury? Yes, he struggled last year, which most players do when being called up from AAA. He's made the team this year, lost some weight, changed his stroke slightly, and continues what he was doing from Spring Training. You're right in saying that the PCL is a hitters league but to deny he has power is silly. A good hitters park doesn't also account for his high OBP and batting average either. You're not giving Adams enough credit. However, you still won't give guys like Allen Craig credit for being a good hitter by using the same "he played in hitters parks" argument.

EDIT: I guess if Oscar Taveras gets called up and starts raking, you're going to come up with the same "hitters league" argument that you've been using for a while now on this forum.

You want to discredit his 2012 MLB numbers but want to use some ST stats? ST stats mean nothing its minor leaguers trying to make a team, vets working on things and tons of wind. Belt from the Giants hit .410 tied for the ST lead in hits with 8 HR and 7 doubles and a .833 SLG but in the season so far he is 3-for-24 with 1 XBH. Also Adams doesn't really have a high OBP he has an inflated BA that keeps his OBP higher and has several IBB mixed in, he has a very poor walk rate without those intentional walks.

Yes two those players are getting overrated by putting up big numbers in parks that are not only hitters parks, in hitters leagues but also favor LH power hitters. Its no random occurrence that both Adams, Taveras and also Wong all jumped over the one park in their system that is a pitchers park in a pitchers league.

Quote Originally Posted by Maker_84 View Post
    Cardinals starting pitching looks flat out nasty and better than cincys, besides the 9th inning aberration by them they've looked like the better team in this series. Make you beat them cause they aren't beating themselves. Scary to think what they'll look like when Motte comes back to them

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    In fairness, ill take 5-4 over these first three series. All day.
    I agree completely.. Very tough first 9 games, Very happy with 5-4.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I can deal with a blowout....but the amazing feat of not being able to hit off Westbrook, after striking out 10 times in 6 innings against Lynn......makes me very annoyed.
    I know it's frustrating, but Westbrook does pull out gems at times. When he's on, he's very difficult to hit. I think some people here are underrating Westbrook (when he's on).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I know it's frustrating, but Westbrook does pull out gems at times. When he's on, he's very difficult to hit. I think some people here are underrating Westbrook (when he's on).
    Westbrook is a hopeless bum. If properly used, say, for 4 to 5 innings MAX he would be like a 15 and 11 type pitcher. But like LaRussa, MM leaves him in 'till he has his meltdown in the 6th.

W/O looking it up, I think it's safe to say that he has pitched only 2 compelte games in 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I understand that. I just think when people say the Reds are still going to win this easily.....seem to not notice how much younger talent they have.

The Cardinals lead the majors with 25 2-out RBI, 5 teams have yet to score 25 total this year. They also have at least 3 more non RBI runs with 2 down since all 3 of the runs that scored on Choo's drops in game one came in the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    You want to discredit his 2012 MLB numbers but want to use some ST stats? ST stats mean nothing its minor leaguers trying to make a team, vets working on things and tons of wind. Belt from the Giants hit .410 tied for the ST lead in hits with 8 HR and 7 doubles and a .833 SLG but in the season so far he is 3-for-24 with 1 XBH. Also Adams doesn't really have a high OBP he has an inflated BA that keeps his OBP higher and has several IBB mixed in, he has a very poor walk rate without those intentional walks.

Yes two those players are getting overrated by putting up big numbers in parks that are not only hitters parks, in hitters leagues but also favor LH power hitters. Its no random occurrence that both Adams, Taveras and also Wong all jumped over the one park in their system that is a pitchers park in a pitchers league.
    Obviously the Cardinals used Spring Training as a metric to determining if Adams could make the club or not. I'm not just using ST. I'm using his entire minor league career and the trends he shown there.

le sigh... I guess practically every single scout, prospect rating system, etc have it wrong when they label Taveras the best hitting prospect in baseball. In your eyes, his #3 ranking in Baseball America is just fluky and inaccurate. What Taveras did with his 10.5% strikeout rate had nothing to do with actual skill but rather it was all ball park....SMH

You're ball park argument, that you have been using ever since I've seen you post here, is old and stale especially when players maintain the type of numbers in a pitcher friendly park that they put up in a hitters friendly park. By all means continue to discount all the things the Cardinals do in the minors when it comes to development.

Meh, a bad day. Forget about it after today and move on. :shrug:

Westbrook is a hopeless bum. If properly used, say, for 4 to 5 innings MAX he would be like a 15 and 11 type pitcher. But like LaRussa, MM leaves him in 'till he has his meltdown in the 6th.

W/O looking it up, I think it's safe to say that he has pitched only 2 compelte games in 3 years.
    Yep what a bum 5th starter with his 3.97 ERA last season...

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Meh. Reds whooped up on the Cards early last season and it pretty much meant nothing. I'm not going to care one way or the other about losing 2 of 3 at their place. It means nothing.

Votto, Cozart, Hanigan have yet to start hitting. Not sure why Dusty tinkered with the lineup the last 2 days after having success. But oh well.

And Bailey was due for one of these games after being otherworldy for a long while now.

Cards will have their dog days. It's a marathon, not a sprint. (tired of hearing that one yet?)

Turn Off Ads?