Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 All-Time Television Shows

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Top 10 All-Time Television Shows

Get Smart (Mel Brooks at his best).
    South Park
    Star Trek
    Star Trek TNG
    Batman (I used to have to get permission to stay up an watch)
    Laugh-In (veeerry interesting.....)
    Thunderbirds! (I was a kid..OK?)
    Jeopardy! (Questions....more questions)
    NBC Mystery Movie (Columbo, McCloud and Banacek were my favorites).
    The Simpsons

Honorable Mentions: Wacky Races, The Jetsons, The Flintstones, Rodger Ramjet and his friends (Superchicken, etc.), Rocky and Bullwinkle, Cool McCool and a few others that escape my memory.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?
    La Dolce Vita

ah, Jeopardy, so ubiquitous, that I completely forgot about it. But then, I wasn't thinking in terms of quiz shows. I'm sure I've watched it as much or more than any other television show.
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop View Post
    ah, Jeopardy, so ubiquitous, that I completely forgot about it. But then, I wasn't thinking in terms of quiz shows. I'm sure I've watched it as much or more than any other television show.
    Yeah, I didn't include game shows or "old school" cartoons like Tom and Jerry, although Tom and Jerry, Jeopardy, and Old School Wheel of Fortune probably would have made the list.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Curb Your Enthusias
    Family Guy
    Different Strokes
    Andy Griffith
    South Park
    Rome- HBO series
    Sapronos
    Happy Days
    Magnum PI
    Prison Break
    Don't smoke'em if you got'em

Northern Exposure
    Taxi
    Cheers
    St. Elsewhere
    All in the Family
    Andy Griffith Show
    Star Trek
    3rd Rock From the Sun
    SNL(the early years)
    Firefly
    Last edited by flyer85; 03-23-2007 at 10:08 AM.

1. The X-Files - number 1 in my book by a mile. First show I remember watching that didn't treat the audience like our IQ was in single digits.

I can't really rank the others, but here is my listing

Stargate SG-1
    Quantum Leap
    Seinfeld
    Northern Exposure
    MASH
    Everybody Loves Raymond
    ER
    The Young and the Restless (yeah, I know it's a soap, but I'm a girl..haha)
    Adv of Brisco County Jr.

Senor Votto

1. The Sopranos
    2. Seinfeld
    3. Friends
    4. Family Guy
    5. Star Trek Voyager (the best of the Star Trek series IMO)

seinfeld
    golden girls
    honeymooners
    survivor
    the munsters
    heroes
    check please
    mad money
    60 minutes
    cheers

1. St. Elsewhere.

This one's easy. I even loved the ending. Dr. Morrison (David Morse, in the ultimate sad sack role--playing an innocent, and he seems to have been cast against this type ever since (see the recent arc on House). He's still one of my favorite character actors)and Dr. Fiscus (a surprisingly good Howie Mandel) were my favorites characters. 'course the show also featured Denzel Washington, Ed Begley, Jr., Ed Flanders, a great performance from William Daniels (who was doing the voice of KITT at the same time), the wonderful Friend-of-Hitchcock, Norman Lloyd, Mark Harmon, Alfre Woodard, Christina Pickles, Eric Laneuville (yeah, I had to look up the spelling, but he was one of my favorites, too), etc. It didn't hurt that Tom Fontana, who also appears in show number two, wrote much of the series.

Inside jokes such as Betty White being called Sue Ann Niven by a mental patient made the show surreal. Conversely, this was, along with Hill Street Views, one of the shows that pioneered realistic plots. Well, realistically absurd, at least.

An interesting sidenote: Ronny Cox's role as the man who came in, took over for a beloved character, and was universally disliked was ridiculously similar to the role he would later play on Star Trek:TNG.

I could say much more. I caught the series in repeats a few years back, and loved it as much as I did originally. Funny, Mark Tinker, who came in and took over from executive producer Bruce Paltrow, iirc, said in an interview that it didn't stand up. I disagree.

2. Homicide. Life on the Streets.

Another Tom Fontana show. I was a big fan of Pembleton, Lewis, and, for the time he was on there, Kellerman. Realism with a shaky camera. Compelling characters in a classic police procedural.

3. X-Files.

Would be higher if the quality had stayed up. Still, an excellent show. I've been watching repeats and gaining a new appreciation for it. Better than anything on TV now.

4. Fawlty Towers.

Best Comedy Ever. Period. John Cleese doing a slow burn, then erupting--brilliant. He's said he never did another sitcom because he didn't think he could ever top this. Too bad there were so few episodes. otoh, what's there is undilluted.

5. Lost.

This might have slipped off the top ten at one time, but I think it might be back. One of the most compelling shows I've ever seen.

6. Jeopardy.

The absolute perfect quiz show. One of my life's goals is to be a contestant.

7. Get Smart.

The second best sitcom I've ever seen. Winner of a Nobel Prize. Would you believe, a Peabody? How 'bout two close-up boxes in TV Guide?

Sorry about that, Chief.

8. The Adventures of Briscoe County, Jr.

Too short. Created by Carlton Cuse, now one of the executive producers of Lost, and starring Bruce Campbell. Great sci-fi western. Let this one stand for Wild, Wild West as well, since that should be here somewhere.

9. Ken Burns' The Civil War.
    Brought the docucmentary form to the people, and made the Civil War itself seem more urgent. Deserves all it's accolades, even though it's not a complete telling. I'd love to see someone sink money into a Civil War drama series, with historians ensuring accuracy. There are so many great stories to be told.

10. (tie--I cheated)Dr. Who

The Tom Baker years. Cheesy, but fantastic.

The Simpsons

What does it say that the smartest comedy of our time is a cartoon?

There's my list, fwiw. My biggest omissions are Northern Exposure (from St. Elsewhere creators Brand & Falsey) and Rocky & Bullwinkle.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Kellie Martin is still hot, BTW.
    You can thank me later.......

I can't just do 10. I could do a top-10 for like each decade from 1960-present.

The best I can do is the following -

Mission-Impossible - (The old one with Peter Graves)
    MASH
    WKRP
    Sports Night
    The Bob Newhart Show & Newhart (since it was the same show)
    Mary Tyler Moore (Rest in Peace, Chuckles)
    Scarecrow & Mrs. King
    The West Wing (If it contains Jimmy Smits, it jumps the shark)
    The Avengers - (BBC)
    The Red Green Show (CBC)

Honorable mentions to The Dick Van Dyke Show (The baby switch episode was the best), Whose Line is It Anyway, Dukes of Hazzard (for sheer silliness), The Muppet Show,

Lifetime Achievement Award to Cheers/Taxi/Seinfeld/Night Court - The Charles Brothers with Larry David & Ed. Weinberger

Good stuff.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

HBO squashes most of the opposition, so I separated them from network.

Rome
    Deadwood
    Sopranos
    Six Feet Under
    Entourage

Network:

Northern Exposure
    Cheers
    Saturday Night Live
    SCTV
    Andy Griffith
    Twin Peaks
    Simpsons
    WKRP
    All in the Family
    Monty Python's Flying Circus
    News Radio
    Curb your Enthusiasm

And since I live in the sitcom "Green Acres", I have to disqualify myself on that one. I am Mr. Douglas. My wife is Lisa. My dog is Arnold. My son is Eb. Ralph and Alf just remodeled my house.

They live to drive me crazy, just like on the show.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

In no particular order (maybe I'll figure out a ranking later):
    "Bonanza"-growing up in the 1960s, we only got one TV channel, the NBC affiliate (WSAZ-3). My dad and I both liked westerns. It was a family tradition that, after church on Sunday nights, at 9 p.m. we all had a big bowl of popcorn and gathered around the TV to watch the latest adventures of the Cartwright clan.
    "Star Trek: The Next Generation"-I was a fan of the original series, but I thought that ST:TNG, once it started to hit its stride, had better scripts and much better acting, and was the better show.
    "Spenser: For Hire"-smoky music, great Boston locations, and a wonderful cast. Robert Ulrich (R.I.P.) was good, and Avery Brooks as "Hawk" was great-I loved how Hawk would say "Spens-sah"
    "Newhart"-Heath said that "The Bob Newhart Show" and "Newhart" were the same show. Nah...I liked the "The Bob Newhart Show" but "Newhart" made me laugh even more; best final episode ever.
    "The Wonder Years"-Fred Savage's character was only one year younger than I was during the same era depicted in the show. Funny and poignant at the same time--Kevin still should've married Winnie in the end.
    "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson"-the king of late night has had no successor IMO.
    "Petrocelli"-this show is little remembered today, but I enjoyed Barry Newman's depiction of an idealistic lawyer madly in love with his wife, played by Susan Howard. When this show was originally broadcast, I was in college, a prelaw major, and madly in love with someone I thought (incorrectly) would eventually be my wife.
    "Night Court"-this show always made me laugh, and would do anything to get a laugh-terrific cast.
    "Remington Steele"-I bought my first VCR just so I wouldn't miss a show back in the 1980s. Pierce Brosnan and Stephannie Zimbalist didn't get along, but they had great chemistry on screen.
    "Cheers"-great ensemble, amazingly consistently funny.
    "M*A*S*H"-ditto.
    "Alias"-one of the few shows I watched much of in recent years. Jennifer Garner was very good; Victor Gabler stole every scene.
    "Magnum P.I."-who wouldn't want to be Thomas Magnum?
    Last edited by RedsBaron; 03-23-2007 at 08:09 PM.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I had to go 20

1. The Dick Van Dyke Show
    2. Star Trek
    3. Everybody Loves Raymond
    4. Rocky & Bullwinkle
    5. Star Trek TNG
    6. Bob Newhart's 2 shows
    7. All in the Family
    8. Saturday Night Live
    9. Baseball Tonight
    10. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    11. Andy Griffith
    12. MacGyver
    13. Batman
    14. The Big Valley
    15. The Wild Wild West
    16. Friends
    17. Cheers
    18. Frasier
    19. Murphy Brown
    20. The Dean Martin Roasts
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    HBO squashes most of the opposition, so I separated them from network.

Rome
    Deadwood
    Sopranos
    Six Feet Under
    Entourage

Network:

Northern Exposure
    Cheers
    Saturday Night Live
    SCTV
    Andy Griffith
    Twin Peaks
    Simpsons
    WKRP
    All in the Family
    Monty Python's Flying Circus
    News Radio
    Curb your Enthusiasm

And since I live in the sitcom "Green Acres", I have to disqualify myself on that one. I am Mr. Douglas. My wife is Lisa. My dog is Arnold. My son is Eb. Ralph and Alf just remodeled my house.

They live to drive me crazy, just like on the show.

As you know, I agree w/ you about HBO ruling the tv world.

Larry David would be hurt if he knew you didn't consider his "Curb" part of the kingdom.
    teach tolerance.

Raisor's top ten:

01 Magnum PI

All time greatest show in the history of everything. Tom Selleck is a man among men. Everything you could possibly want in a tv show.

02 Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Only thing keeping this from number one is that Tom Selleck never once made an appearance.

03 The Andy Griffith Show

Don Knotts: Comedic genius. Aunt Bea: Good pie.

04 Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Best of all Trek.

05 Quantum Leap

I cry like a baby every time I see the last episode. "Dr Beckett never returned home". AAAAARRRGGGG!

06 Arrested Development

Would be rated higher if it had lasted longer. Probably the single greatest episode of any series ever was in season 3. Giant Mole Man attacking model town while Japanese business men watch in horror. Oh, and a kid with a jet pack too.

07 Seinfeld

Michael Richards is a goof, but I heart Kramer.

08 The Sorpranos

If it had just a little more violence and nudity, it'd be ranked higher. Or something.

09 24

Jack Bauer is a radioactive vampire who had died multiple times. Which is just about awesome. I still don't want to live in a world that Jack isn't a supreme dictator of.

10 Scrubs

Raisor+Zack Braff=True Love

Puffy: phtphtpht

Turn Off Ads?