Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Chris Wells the best OSU back since Archie?

Is Chris Wells the best OSU back since Archie?

I think he is. His competition is Keith Byars and Eddie George and I think he's better than both. He's definitely one of the special players I've seen in my lifetime. If the OSU line wasn't so bad, and if he stayed healthy, he would be a lock for 2,000 yards, IMO. He's a rare talent and very under-stated as well. I'm going to miss him when he's gone.

How many 240 pound men can leap over a defensive back and keep going? That was awesome to watch today.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Chris Wells the best OSU back since Archie?

I think he's the most talented back since Archie, for sure. He can do things Eddie and Byers couldn't. His stiff arm should probably be illegal. It's just not fair.

Unfortunately, he'll go down as an underrated OSU back because the team couldn't get the national title last year, he was robbed of a Heisman run because of his injury this year, and he'll almost certainly leave his senior year on the table.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

No

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    No

Who's better?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Eddie George was better.

Better NCAA player.

And I have a feeling Eddie will have a better NFL career than Beanie Wells.

Robert Smith wasn't bad either, for what it's worth.

And Archie was a crappy NFL back, but a decent NCAA back. So take that for what it's worth as well.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Yes, he is.

I have to put him just a notch over Byars.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

I agree with highlife....Eddie George.

I'd have to go with Eddie. Maybe in terms of pure talent, Beanie would win. But when you're talking best OSU back since Archie, you have to consider a number of things, including durability. Beanie at his best is as good as ANYBODY, anywhere. Unfortunately, his propensity to get nicked up as kept him from putting up really scary stats.

I hope he comes back for his senior season. I know it's unlikely, but give him and Pryor another year together and another year of being familiar with each other, and I think Beanie could run for 1,500+ and that Pryor could top 1,000 on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    How many 240 pound men can leap over a defensive back and keep going? That was awesome to watch today.
    My wife and I were over in Columbus yesterday eating at Texas Roadhouse and watching the game. When Beanie did that the whole restaurant exploded. Even my wife, who isn't a fan of sports, said "Wow!"

I still have to give it to Archie, with George 2nd, and then Byars.

I still remember that Illinois game Byars put in like it was yesterday....

Keith Byars earned first team All-America honors, was Big Ten MVP and runner-up for the Heisman Trophy (to Boston College’s Doug Flutie) in 1984, when he rushed for a then-school record 1,764 yards and 22 touchdowns. That season, he led the nation in rushing, scoring (144 points) and all-purpose running (2,441). Included in those totals were 274 yards and five TDs against Illinois in one of the most brilliant individual performances in OSU annals. The Fighting Illini led 24-0, but Byars’ fourth TD was a spectacular 67-yard run in which he completely reversed his field and lost a shoe at the Illinois 35, but still outran the Illini secondary. His fifth touchdown of the day was the game winner. Byars, who missed most of his senior year with a foot injury, is still fourth on the all-time rushing list with 3,200 yard.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-16-2008 at 04:13 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I gotta go #27 he was a phenomenal back which was proven in the NFL. And it's interesting that Illinois keeps coming up in this debate because Eddie had perhaps the worst game of his career vs. them and probably his best game 323 yds I believe en route to his Heisman Trophy. Which is still the best single game rushing effort in school annuls (yardage wise, can't recall his TD's that game I wanna say 2 or 3). I just think Eddie's will was greater than most any Buckeye I have ever seen. And he had plenty of talent as well although not quite as fast as Beanie equally as good or better everywhere else except perhaps agility.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I'm in the Eddie George boat. He was so great, and so consistant. I just ddon't see him being trumped, atleast not yet.

Eddie George, people remember his senior season when he won the Heisman but his junior year was also tremendous. Chris Wells has had two good seasons but neither match up with Eddie's best two. Chris has more physical talent, Eddie played with more grit. You can't go wrong either way. I choose Eddie George, but not by much.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I guess my issue with Eddie George is that he wasn't anything special until his senior year when he won the Heisman. I always loved Eddie because he was the perfect example of hard work and determination and how a player can get better with both. But he was never viewed as anything more than an average back until his senior campaign. I don't think there were tons of big Eddie George fans until that year. As a matter of fact, I distinctly remember thinking back then following the Buckeyes that they needed a better RB and George was frustrating to watch. That was all the more reason why his senior year was such a surprise. He wasn't even an all Big Ten selection until his senior year. Beanie was an All American as a sophomore.

Eddie was great, but I think Wells is just a better back. George wasn't anywhere near Beanie through his junior year. My personal opinion is that Wells is a good deal better than George, although I am a big fan of Eddie. But Beanie is just a beast. If he can stay healthy and be in a decent situation in the NFL, he's going to be a great one as well.

And highlife, Archie Griffin was a "decent" NCAA back? Come on, dude.

Archie was a "decent" back? Lord. This is one case where I think a guy's NFL career influences how his college career is remembered. Griffin was phenomenal for OSU.

I'm a die-hard Penn State fan and even I know Archie was a great back. In fact when ESPN did their 25 greatest college football players of all time. Archie ranked 21st on the list.

I always thought Robert Smith had the most untapped talent. Dude could flat out run with the football. Unfortunately he never reached that potential due to his "philosphical" differences with the team and coaches.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?