Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Out-of-left-field trade idea.....

Re: Out-of-left-field trade idea.....

Mench seems to be in decline, sub .700 ops on the year. I'll pass

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=5088

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    For the 80th time... Cordero has a full no trade clause!!!!!!!
    That doesn't mean he doesn't want to go to another team. So he could waive it.

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    I know this is going to soumd a little nuts, but I had this trade idea whilst watching the Cubs game.

Reds trade: Adam Dunn, Homer Bailey, David Weathers and CoCo Cordero

Cubs trade: Sean Marshall and type A prospect.

I know there are probably hundreds of arguments against this, but I see the Cubs beginning to falter without Kerry Wood.

I think the Reds could make either Jared Burton or Josh Roenicke a closer next year.

The Reds use the saved moeny from Cordero and Dunn to sign a couple of FA outfielders and a high end pitcher.

"I know this trade makes no sense, and is counter to any kind of rational thought, and additionally, there are 100 reasons why it fails to help the team.... however, would you do it?"

No.

I know this is going to soumd a little nuts, but I had this trade idea whilst watching the Cubs game.

The Reds use the saved moeny from Cordero and Dunn to sign a couple of FA outfielders and a high end pitcher.
    Heck, throw in Votto and Bruce while you're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Mench seems to be in decline, sub .700 ops on the year. I'll pass

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=5088
    But he'll be cheap, which seems to be the most important thing!

I know there are probably hundreds of arguments against this...
    At least.

No offense, but they'd be right.

I know there are probably hundreds of arguments against this, but I see the Cubs beginning to falter without Kerry Wood.

I think the Reds could make either Jared Burton or Josh Roenicke a closer next year.

I'd like to support this trade proposal -- it's not doable (Cordero does have a no-trade clause) -- but it makes a good point. It certainly doesn't deserve the harsh criticisms of this thread.

Fans, Adam Dunn's contract as a Red ends in two months. At that point, he is worth nothing to them except two draft choices if they offer him arbitration. And who knows how draft choices pan out. Repeat -- In eight or nine weeks the Reds don't own Dunn any more.

Weathers is a free agent. He won't be Reds property in two months.

Bailey's value is, well, you saw the game tonight.

Cordero is owed about $40 million over the next three plus years. That's a lot of dough for a closer with his 2008 numbers.

Why does anyone think this collection of contracts would bring a big return? And why is a good young pitcher and an A prospect insufficient?
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-26-2008 at 11:21 PM.

So what is the official ruling on trading Cordero. I think everyone knows he has a no-trade but he is always mentioned in proprosed trades. Would the no-trade be able to waived? If so, how realistic is it that that would happen???

Whats the final Redzone verdict...can we bring him up in proposed trades or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'd like to support this trade proposal -- it's not doable (Cordero does have a no-trade clause) -- but it makes a good point. It certainly doesn't deserve the harsh criticisms of this thread.

Fans, Adam Dunn's contract as a Red ends in two months. At that point, he is worth nothing to them except two draft choices if they offer him arbitration. And who knows how draft choices pan out. Repeat -- In eight or nine weeks the Reds don't own Dunn any more.

Weathers is a free agent. He won't be Reds property in two months.

Bailey's value is, well, you saw the game tonight.

Cordero is owed about $40 million over the next three plus years. That's a lot of dough for a closer with his 2008 numbers.

Why does anyone think this collection of contracts would bring a big return? And why is a good young pitcher and an A prospect insufficient?

Why would the Cubs want Dunn and why would they want to take on Corderos contract when he hasn't pitched that well?

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Why would the Cubs want Dunn and why would they want to take on Corderos contract when he hasn't pitched that well?
    Because the Cubs lack a LH power bat and want to win the WS....in case that hasn't been real obvious to this point.

Cordero, no matter how bad he had looked right now, is a dominating closer for periods of time......if that period is September and October like is was April and MAy, then he sure helps the Cubbies.

Would Cordero, now that he has seen what he is getting as a Red want to waive his clause so he could be a Cubbie and pitch in the WS? I don't know. But he is very expensive, and a left over (in a way) from a previous regime.

Because the Cubs lack a LH power bat and want to win the WS....in case that hasn't been real obvious to this point.

Cordero, no matter how bad he had looked right now, is a dominating closer for periods of time......if that period is September and October like is was April and MAy, then he sure helps the Cubbies.

Would Cordero, now that he has seen what he is getting as a Red want to waive his clause so he could be a Cubbie and pitch in the WS? I don't know. But he is very expensive, and a left over (in a way) from a previous regime.

I don't see room in the Cubs outfield for him. They already have Soriano, Fukudome, Reed, DeRosa, Edmonds and Ward has played some outfield.

The Cubs already have a good closer in Wood and a closer of the future in Marmol. Wood is on the DL though, but its not like its injury that will keep him out for the season. I could see the Cubs picking up another bullpen arm, but not someone with the type of contract Cordero has unless the Reds pay a chunk of it for them.

Give the Reds Abreu and Burrell or Dunn to go along with Bruce and you have the best OF in baseball (offensively).

I have to figure the Yanks may want Abreu back.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Maybe the Reds should try to rework his contract in order to allow him to go back to the minors. :

Even if it's not for the entire length of the contract, people need to keep this in mind.

By the way, let us also not forget that we're talking about a trade within the division that significantly helps the other team. The Reds are only a couple pieces from truly competing--it's not time to completely rebuild and hand the division to the Cubs for years to come.

This proposal/thread is something I'd expect to see on the Sun Deck.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?