Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Girardi 4 Manager 2008

Girardi 4 Manager 2008

I know that he's gonna require millions of dollars and probably will end up in New York but it's worth a shot! He would be great for all of the young talent that we could be bringing in.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Girardi 4 Manager 2008

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassOH View Post
    I know that he's gonna require millions of dollars and probably will end up in New York but it's worth a shot! He would be great for all of the young talent that we could be bringing in.
    Unfortunately, with Wayne in the cockpit, this is the word that needs to be emphasized here.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I would like Girardi. He was doing great in Florida but their owner is a fool.

If you're takin petitions for this bandwagon, count me in!

If Steinbrenner gets a little more itchy, Girardi might be wearing a pinstripe uniform instead of a pinstripe suit in the booth with the Yankees free-fall...

He was outstanding last year IMHO and cultivated the young talent down in FLA nicely...

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

If we firesale, Girardi is our man. If not, I can't see Joe managing a bunch of old guys.
    Witty signature.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    If we firesale, Girardi is our man. If not, I can't see Joe managing a bunch of old guys.
    Yep. Come onnnnnn, firesale.....

Girardi,would be a great fit for the reds organzation exspecially the players.It was'nt just a few years ago that he retired and I really do think the reds players need a guy like him to manage them.They would listen to Girardi more b/c he is one of them b/c he knows how the game should be played, he knows how they feel,and knows how to coach them.He took a terrible team in the Marlins and turned them into a team that could beat anybody on any given night. These are the main reasons why the reds should go and sign him.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

He ain't coming here with the Yankees job opening up in 08 or 09. He's sitting on a winning lottey ticket and is about to cash in.
    Don't smoke'em if you got'em

Quote Originally Posted by Marge'sMullet View Post
    He ain't coming here with the Yankees job opening up in 08 or 09. He's sitting on a winning lottey ticket and is about to cash in.
    I wouldn't be so sure. Don Mattingly is also highly favored by the Boss.

And Girardi ain't going to be working with a major youth movement in NY either.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure. Don Mattingly is also highly favored by the Boss.
    Right, if Torre goes it will be Donnie Baseball that replaces him, not Girardi.

I'll go ahead and jump on the bandwagon as well, this team needs a quality manager with previous success, coming from outside the organization. I'm still not sure why Castellini and Krivsky didn't hire their own man when they had the chance instead of sticking with Narron when they first came in.

Not so fast. Here's a post from a Marlins fan about Girardi around the time he got canned:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...mp#post1173472

From what I've read here and in other places, he had to be told to play the young guys. To me, Girardi seems like another Narron, only with a little more fire.

No thanks.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

He took a terrible team in the Marlins and turned them into a team that could beat anybody on any given night.
    The Marlins in '05 managed by Jack-Mac 83-79 (.512)
    The Marlins in '06 managed by Girardi 78-84 (.481)
    The Marlins in '07 managed by Fredi G. 23-27 (.460)

While these numbers indicate the Marlins weren't terrible before Girardi was hired, the vast amount of players on the '05 roster did not return for the '06 season. Girardi did a very nice job of mentoring the young roster in FLA and teaching them how to be big leaguers.

If the Reds choose to "go young" I believe they wouldn't be a better option than Girardi. However I disagree with this assessment...

It was'nt just a few years ago that he retired and I really do think the reds players need a guy like him to manage them.They would listen to Girardi more b/c he is one of them b/c he knows how the game should be played, he knows how they feel,and knows how to coach them.
    Often this can create problems. If a team (like the current '07 Reds has a majority of vets a younger manager can become too "buddy-buddy" with the vets. Thus creating a unhealthy environment. I assume by "one of them" yu mean a big league player. Jerry Narron was also (8 seasons) so I believe Narron knows what the players go through etc.

Joe Girardi will be avaliable, because Donnie Baseball will get hired in NYC. If the Reds "go young" Girardi would certainly be a respectable hire.

Turn Off Ads?