Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Official Kentucky vs. Louisville Thread (Pigskin Edition)....

The Official Kentucky vs. Louisville Thread (Pigskin Edition)....

If you think this game only matters during hoops season, then you are in a time warp. Nowadays, big-time recruits hang in the balance for this game--not to mention Louisville's BCS hopes.

On television, I have seen two of the four halves that Louisville has played thus far. I have personally witnessed both of UK's wins this season. The truth is that both offenses are really going to create problems for their opponents--and both defenses are going to give their own fans nightmares.

I agree with this article that, other than their run defense, UK's real weak spot appears to be with their special teams....and no, I am not just talking about their kicking game either. Both their return team and their kickoff team have been less than stellar at this juncture of the season.

All I know is that Saturday's may be the toughest ticket that Commonwealth Stadium has seen in many, many years. While they have been averaging a little better than last year's crowds for the first two home dates (around 66,000-67,000 per game), most experts are saying that the Louisville game may set stadium attendance records. All that, with Barnhardt jacking the face value on the ducats to $70 per....

Go Big Blue!

http://www.kentucky.com/287/story/171558.html

Posted on Sun, Sep. 09, 2007

Next up: exciting offense vs. defeatable defense
    By Mark Story
    HERALD-LEADER SPORTS COLUMNIST

Like the rest of us, Brian Brohm and Andre Woodson have listened all summer as a whole state bubbled with anticipation over the quarterback matchup for the 2007 Kentucky-Louisville grudge fest.

Two homegrown stars with legitimate national profiles.

In terms of hype, this one could do the WWE proud: Andre the Giant vs. Brian the Brilliant.

Except the two players in the glare of the bright lights want none of it.

"Uhh, it's not me vs. Andre Woodson," Brohm said Thursday night after Louisville had beaten Middle Tennessee. "I know that's what everyone is going to say, but we're playing against the Kentucky defense. I won't watch one second of film on Andre Woodson."

After Kentucky fended off pesky Kent State last night in Commonwealth Stadium, Woodson sang from the same hymnal.

"A lot of people talk about us," he said of the two QBs. "But there's no telling what's going to happen. We could come out with a good feel for the running game and just hand off. This isn't about (the quarterbacks). It's all about getting the win."

At last, we turn to the most-anticipated (modern) UK-U of L matchup since the first one back in 1994. After two blowout wins over over-matched foes each, both teams enter as mirror images of the other.

A U of L defense that was expected to be stout has instead been a sieve. Against Murray State and Middle Tennessee -- not exactly Florida and USC -- the Cards are surrendering 6.8 yards a play and 413 yards a game.

When the Cards' D allowed 35 points to Middle in the first half, Cardinals fans were transformed to a different type of fowl -- boo birds.

But there remain ample questions about the Kentucky defense, too.

The Cats -- who struggled mightily against mobile quarterbacks in 2006 -- were torched by Kent State's Julian Edelman last night. He scrambled and juked his way to 135 yards on the ground.

Heisman candidate Brohm has thrown for 795 yards and nine touchdowns in two games. Yet, crazy as this sounds, UK is probably fortunate that Brohm is a pocket passer.

As an offense, Louisville has been ruthless. The Cardinals are averaging 65.5 points a game, 8.9 yards a play, 692 yards a game.

For new Kentucky defensive coordinator Steve Brown, the question is how to get Brohm -- who has not been sacked yet this year -- out of rhythm. Rutgers did it a year ago with relentless blitzing.

Asked if he'd watched that Rutgers tape, Brown said "oh, about 1,000 times. Ideally, you'd like to get pressure with four. But if you can't, then you have to keep bringing another and another until you do."

Given time to throw, Louisville can flood the field with big-time receivers -- Harry Douglas, Mario Uruutia, Gary Barnidge.

"Offensively, they are a machine," UK Coach Rich Brooks said of U of L. "Defensively, they had 30 minutes (vs. Middle Tennessee) like we had tonight. They're much more capable than they showed."

On the other side, Kentucky brings more offensive weapons to a game with U of L than it's done since Couch and Yeast.

UK's three-headed running back attack of Rafael Little, Tony Dixon and Alfonso Smith could be the weapon that keeps the Louisville offense on the bench.

Woodson has not been as sharp overall as Brohm in the first two games. It had to be worrisome to the UK brain trust last night when a MAC team sacked the Cats' QB four times in the first half.

Given time in half two, Woodson made big-time throws (a 51-yard TD in stride to Keenan Burton and a bullet slant to Steve Johnson that set up a second score) as UK moved from a 14-14 halftime tie to a 59-20 blowout.

Kentucky, too, has big-time receiving weapons in Burton, Johnson, Dicky Lyons Jr. and Jacob Tamme.

One factor that seems to heavily favor Louisville is the place-kicking. Art Carmody is more automatic than the sun rise. Let's just say UK's Lones Seiber is somewhat less than certain, even on extra points.

In a close game, that could be the difference.

So now it's here.

A nationally ranked Louisville vs. a Kentucky that has won seven of its last eight.

Says Woodson: "This is a huge statement game. We have to get this game to show people we really are turning this thing around."

It's big-play offense vs. big-play offense.

It's questionable defense vs. questionable defense.

And, sorry Brian and Andre, it's Brohm vs. Woodson.

This is going to be fun.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Official Kentucky vs. Louisville Thread (Pigskin Edition)....

This is UK's best chance to win this game in a LONG time.

I really like this UK squad. I've really enjoyed watching all of their games so far.

Okay, I've got the most important question of all: Is the game going to be on in HD?

I'm assuming it's not, since the main carrier is ESPN Classic, and they don't have an HD channel (is that correct?) WHAS 11 is carrying it locally and it's not showing up on the Directv guide as HD.

Now I'll let you guys get back to the less important matters, like what actually happens on the field.

GO CARDS!!!

Oh wow, Mac, I think you may be right; and that is a real shame. ESPN Classic isn't broadcast in HD... Why couldn't they get this game on ESPN2 at least?!?!

Middle Tenn scoring 35 points in the 1st half on Louisville showed the fact they can be scored on and often. However they have the best offense in the Country.

For UK to win they must score early and not get behind. Get a turnover. a couple of "3 and outs." UK's defense must "believe" they can win the game and if Louisville scores on their 1st 3 touches....no chance.

It's going to be a offense pissing match and Louisville has the advantage. UK is going to need some luck. This is their best chance to win in years.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Vegas has Louisville as a touchdown favorite:

http://covers.usatoday.com/data/odds.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Vegas has Louisville as a touchdown favorite:

http://covers.usatoday.com/data/odds.aspx
    That is a good line. It's going to be a great game to watch...lot's of scoring.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

I'll be tailgating near the stadium starting at about 10:00 am. I'm not much of a fan of either team, but I have a good friend whose daughter is a UK alumnus and they go to most of the football games, and tailgate all day. There will be much drinking and eating.

Anyone else going?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Oh wow, Mac, I think you may be right; and that is a real shame. ESPN Classic isn't broadcast in HD... Why couldn't they get this game on ESPN2 at least?!?!
    I think UK messed it up by wanting to move it to the third week of the season.

This will come down to if UK can put pressure on Brohm. If they can do that they will win but if they let Brohm have all the time he wants they will get picked apart and it will become ugly. This should be high scoring game but you know with everyone predicting a 45-42 type game it will be a 7-6 defensive slugfest.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by AccordinglyReds View Post
    I think UK messed it up by wanting to move it to the third week of the season.
    Not necessarily.

Playing a top team like Louisville to start out the season would destroy their confidence and probably have a negative effect on the rest of the season. Get two early wins to build up momentum and see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I'll be tailgating near the stadium starting at about 10:00 am. I'm not much of a fan of either team, but I have a good friend whose daughter is a UK alumnus and they go to most of the football games, and tailgate all day. There will be much drinking and eating.

Anyone else going?

I'll be right outside Gate # 2 in the parking lot (my seats are in section 109). Look for the big blue tent....well, one of them anyway

Could be a very exciting game. I agree that KY will have to score early if they want to have a chance. It could be a real good back-and-forth game but I sure hope the Cats are on the winning side of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Not necessarily.

Playing a top team like Louisville to start out the season would destroy their confidence and probably have a negative effect on the rest of the season. Get two early wins to build up momentum and see what happens.
    I think he was referring to the fact that the game was only on ESPN classic. And yes, UK moving the game (some might say running scared) did result in the horrible TV situation.

Turn Off Ads?