Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Ludwick: I'm calling fans out

Re: Ludwick: I'm calling fans out

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post

Watch a game from San Francisco or Boston or even Texas. Those fans are on heard every pitch. When the opposing pitcher runs the count to 3-0 they're screaming on their feet. On the other hand, we barely clap for singles anymore.
    Interesting comments from Gary Cohen the other night. Said he really appreciated games at the GAB because it was so quiet. Described it as a real baseball atmosphere, not one of these other venues where a lot of noise can distract from the game. Don't know if I necessarily agree with his sentiments, but I did enjoy listening to him for three days.

2. Likes:

Always Red (09-26-2013),KittyDuran (09-26-2013),OC_Red (09-26-2013),texasdave (09-26-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    2 wins 6 losses.

0 for GABP

I'd hate to see how bad it has to get to meet your definition of failure.
    Look at how many teams actually made the playoffs during those four years, and how many did it three times.

It seems you have unrealistic expectations for starters, and should appreciate winning baseball over the first six months of the season a little more than you apparently do.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

5. Likes:

Homer Bailey (09-27-2013)

I'll post these numbers again because they're awfully important:

2010 CENSUS COMBINED STATISTICAL AREAS:

1. NEW YORK (Yankees & Mets) - 23.08m
    2. LOS ANGELES (Dodgers & Angels) - 17.88m
    3. CHICAGO (Cubs & White Sox) - 9.84m
    4. WASHINGTON-BALTIMORE (Orioles & Nats) - 9.05m
    5. SAN FRANCISCO-OAKLAND (Giants & A's) - 8.15m
    6. BOSTON (Red Sox) - 7.89m
    7. PHILADELPHIA (Phillies) - 7.07m
    8. DALLAS-FORT WORTH (Rangers) - 6.82m
    9. MIAMI-FT. LAUDERDALE (Marlins) - 6.17m
    10. HOUSTON (Astros) - 6.11m
    11. ATLANTA (Braves) - 5.91m
    -- TORONTO (Blue Jays) - 5.58m (2010 CMA Canadian Census)
    12. DETROIT (Tigers) - 5.32m
    13. SEATTLE-TACOMA (Mariners) - 4.27m
    14. PHOENIX (Diamondbacks) - 4.19m
    15. MINNEAPOLIS-ST. PAUL (Twins) - 3.68m
    16. CLEVELAND (Indians) - 3.52m
    17. SAN DIEGO (Padres) - 3.10m
    16. DENVER (Rockies) - 3.09m
    18. ST. LOUIS (Cardinals) - 2.89m
    19. TAMPA-ST. PETERSBURG (Rays) - 2.78m
    20. PITTSBURGH (Pirates) - 2.66m
    21. KANSAS CITY (Royals) - 2.34m
    22. CINCINNATI (Reds) - 2.17m
    23. MILWAUKEE (Brewers) - 2.03m

Comparing attendance for sports teams unilaterally to judge fanbases is utterly ridiculous. You should not and cannot compare a city drawing from a 2 million metropolitan area to that with one of 5 million.

Here's a fact: two thirds of Major League Baseball has more than double the population core that Cincinnati does. So when the point that people can't get down to the ballpark on a school night is made, it's a pretty big freakin' deal. Why? Because when other cities have a school night, there are a LOT more unmarried or childless people to go to the ballpark on a given night. It's a heck of a lot easier to draw more fans when you have 2-8 million more people living in proximity to your park.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

7. Likes:

1940757690 (09-26-2013),BuckeyeRedleg (09-26-2013),HeatherC1212 (09-27-2013),Homer Bailey (09-27-2013),KittyDuran (09-26-2013),mdccclxix (09-27-2013),NebraskaRed (09-26-2013),RadfordVA (09-26-2013),Red Raindog (09-26-2013),REDREAD (09-26-2013),texasdave (09-26-2013)

Schnickelfritz

I love the Reds. They drive me crazy sometimes, but they also make me very happy. It would be great to see more fans at the ballpark. It would also be great to see the team not sleepwalk through games. But the fans will show up and the team will beat the bad guys.

Anything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Look at how many teams actually made the playoffs during those four years, and how many did it three times.

It seems you have unrealistic expectations for starters, and should appreciate winning baseball over the first six months of the season a little more than you apparently do.
    This might be relevant if my original post had anything to do with the regular season.

Ludwick was whining about a big game atmosphere for the stretch run. My point was that many people are probably a little gun shy given the Reds recent track record of spitting the bit in the playoffs and that if they wanted to fix it they should start by winning.

Not sure why that offends your sensibilities so.

This might be relevant if my original post had anything to do with the regular season.

Ludwick was whining about a big game atmosphere for the stretch run. My point was that many people are probably a little gun shy given the Reds recent track record of spitting the bit in the playoffs and that if they wanted to fix it they should start by winning.

Not sure why that offends your sensibilities so.
    It doesn't offend my sensibilities. It's just silly, is all.

If people aren't going to the park during the stretch run just because the Reds took an early exit from the playoffs a couple times prior (which I don't really believe is the case), then a person is a miserable excuse for a "fan."

11. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (09-26-2013),KittyDuran (09-26-2013),Tom Servo (09-26-2013)

If people aren't going to the park during the stretch run just because the Reds took an early exit from the playoffs a couple times prior (which I don't really believe is the case), then a person is a miserable excuse for a "fan."
    I think people are less inclined to invest time and energy watching this team because this team can be perceived as not investing energy and focus itself.

So people who don't see it exactly as you do are "silly" and "miserable excuses for a fan."

Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    I think people are less inclined to invest time and energy watching this team because this team can be perceived as not investing energy and focus itself.
    22 time the Reds have had 90 wins in 131 seasons, a whopping 16.8% of the time and folks still can't enjoy the rarity of it enough to derive pleasure from it.

15. Likes:

Brutus (09-26-2013),HeatherC1212 (09-26-2013),Homer Bailey (09-27-2013),jimbo (09-26-2013),KittyDuran (09-26-2013),Revering4Blue (09-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Ludwick is both right and wrong.

He was wrong to call the fans out - that's not his job. And he and his team, when they go into one of their all-too-familiar offensive funks, doesn't give fans much to cheer for.

But, yes, Cincinnati fans are lame. The attendance continues to be pathetic, and too many of those that go couldn't care less about wins/losses. The loudest cheers come for the 11th strikeout which gives away free pizzas.

Even earlier this year, super fan Chuck D was chastised by the Reds for being too boisterous and loud when a whiney Cards fan complained (go figure).

Watch a game from San Francisco or Boston or even Texas. Those fans are on heard every pitch. When the opposing pitcher runs the count to 3-0 they're screaming on their feet. On the other hand, we barely clap for singles anymore.
    Yep...the record setting attendance numbers are just pathetic aren't they...

Watching a game on TV and trying to judge crowd noise and energy based on the broadcast feed is completely inaccurate.

Chuck D wasn't chastised for being boisterous. He was chanting at opposing fans and they reported him. All the Reds did was draw a literal line in the sand (concrete) and tell him not to cross it.

It's been a while since I've been to a home Reds game, but the crowd always seemed almost pensive to me. Like people want to cheer, but there is some fear of going overboard. I think it is a partial function of basically a generation growing up with a terrible baseball team that didn't have much to cheer for. Now the crowd shows up, but doesn't always know how to act.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Something like 15 games not on weekends since 1938 they have had 30k plus

That's weak

That's not a baseball town
    Cleveland became a baseball town after multiple world series appearances and superstar players in the 90's...it could happen in Cincinnati just as easily. Problem is they need to actually win games...

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    It's been a while since I've been to a home Reds game, but the crowd always seemed almost pensive to me. Like people want to cheer, but there is some fear of going overboard. I think it is a partial function of basically a generation growing up with a terrible baseball team that didn't have much to cheer for. Now the crowd shows up, but doesn't always know how to act.

It's funny you say that, because I'm a huge Reds fan, always have been - but I've never been one to cheer or act like an idiot at a ballpark. It could be a difference in culture and mentality, too?
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

19. Likes:

remdog (09-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    22 time the Reds have had 90 wins in 131 seasons, a whopping 16.8% of the time and folks still can't enjoy the rarity of it enough to derive pleasure from it.
    Honest question but do you really think people don't know that 90+ win seasons are rare? Perhaps that rarity leads people to feel an even stronger sense of urgency because they know the window for a championship won't be open forever. Perhaps that is why the feel so much angst about a team that's clearly shown it has championship caliber talent but, as of right now, an equally clear non championship psyche.

Of course people aren't morose over the team winning 90 games but until they start awarding the title "World Champion" for 90 win seasons it really isn't the end all be all. It's fantastic that they are getting to the playoffs but like it or not, teams are judged by what they do once they are in them.

21. Likes:

remdog (09-28-2013)

Honest question but do you really think people don't know that 90+ win seasons are rare? Perhaps that rarity leads people to feel an even stronger sense of urgency because they know the window for a championship won't be open forever. Perhaps that is why the feel so much angst about a team that's clearly shown it has championship caliber talent but, as of right now, an equally clear non championship psyche.

Of course people aren't morose over the team winning 90 games but until they start awarding the title "World Champion" for 90 win seasons it really isn't the end all be all. It's fantastic that they are getting to the playoffs but like it or not, teams are judged by what they do once they are in them.
    Yes I do think people don't get how rare they are.

Moan, moan, moan I read it daily, he sucks, they suck, they are stiff, the offense sucks, so and so is a flash in the pan, so in so is a dog, no flags, no respect from espn, no respect from MLB channel.

All even before the playoffs have even started.

No one appreciates the process, only the result. Yeah I get that and I think it's a shame.

23. Likes:

Brutus (09-27-2013),George Anderson (09-26-2013),HeatherC1212 (09-26-2013),Hoosier Red (09-28-2013),KittyDuran (09-26-2013),Roy Tucker (09-26-2013)

Ludwick just put Cincy on blast

Turn Off Ads?