Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Buster Olney says Reds looking for outfield help!!

Re: Buster Olney says Reds looking for outfield help!!

The Reds really are just one big bat in LF away from being a serious contender. That bat is needed even more now that Votto is out.

Jocketty has already said as much, and he usually accomplishes what he desires. The Reds will get a big bat this year, it just is a matter of who and when.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    The Reds really are just one big bat in LF away from being a serious contender. That bat is needed even more now that Votto is out.

Jocketty has already said as much, and he usually accomplishes what he desires. The Reds will get a big bat this year, it just is a matter of who and when.
    I think its a long shot at best that the Reds will increase payroll significantly and it's likely they'll try to ride out the storm by relying on their rotation.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I think its a long shot at best that the Reds will increase payroll significantly and it's likely they'll try to ride out the storm by relying on their rotation.
    I agree with the first part, and kinda the second. If the Reds start to falter, even a bit, Cast will tell Jocketty to pull the trigger.

There are decent upgrades available for not much salary addition. And even guys like Holiday, would only be for a few months. This close to a winner, I can't see Cast letting the team fade away. But I've been wrong before.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    The ballpark has something to do with that too: ERA+ 112, OPS+ 92. The pitching has been significantly better than the hitting so far.

I really feel like the hitting was due to slip too even before Votto went out, with Votto, Phillips, Hairston, Nix, Hanigan all performing above expectations (and just EdE and Gonzalez due for improvements).

It's not that I think the pitching is anything amazing, IMO it will end the year as an average to slightly above average bunch, but I think that will be enough to make the Reds significantly better at preventing runs than scoring them.
    We might not yet be where we'd like to be. However when I look at our staff the next thing I look at is the opposition. And frankly that makes us one of the better (starting) staffs in the NL. If we don't finish in the top 3rd I'll be shocked and that too me is better than slightly above average.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I agree with the first part, and kinda the second. If the Reds start to falter, even a bit, Cast will tell Jocketty to pull the trigger.

There are decent upgrades available for not much salary addition. And even guys like Holiday, would only be for a few months. This close to a winner, I can't see Cast letting the team fade away. But I've been wrong before.
    I don't know. I haven't really seen any evidence of Cast wanting to spend the kind of money it's going to take. If he was willing to spend the kind of money to get a big bat why didn't he do it before the season? He went with the cheap cop-out and signed Willy T. So instead of spending more money and getting value he wasted six million so he could say "hey, we tried."
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

High five!

I dunno. I'm thinking the Reds are more like two big bats (and that's if Votto comes back), one rotation arm and a bullpen arm away from being SERIOUS contenders.

To be "if everything goes right" contenders, maybe the one bat will be enough.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I dunno. I'm thinking the Reds are more like two big bats (and that's if Votto comes back), one rotation arm and a bullpen arm away from being SERIOUS contenders.

Thats a pretty good assessment, IMHO.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Good assessment. I think one bat could be enough if Votto comes back, Phillips maintains a decent level of OPS against righties, and EE can get back in a couple of weeks and put up something like 2008 numbers the rest of the way. Since I think it's unlikely all these will happen, I think it's more like 2 additional bats. I'm not sure we need another rotation arm as much as we need more experience across much of the rotation (3/5 of it to be precise) and we're going to need more bullpen depth. Also, the division is pretty strong and I just don't see the wildcard coming from the Central this year--or, to put that otherwise, I don't see how both Phil. and NYM don't make it, particularly with all those games against Wash.

If Holliday does come here via trade in the next month or two, what are the chances he signs here long-term ala Mark McGwire in St. Louis in the '90s? Similar situations: both big right-handed sluggers, both with the A's, both traded to a Midwest team that wears red

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Bingo. We're much closer than we've been in the past, but not there yet. I prefer if we just hold down the fort for the majority of this year and let the young players develop. The only transactions I want to see are minor leaguers getting the occasional shot. If we're really in the thick of things come the trade deadline, I wouldn't mind us going for a bat...but only if it's not too expensive in terms of young talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    If Holliday does come here via trade in the next month or two, what are the chances he signs here long-term ala Mark McGwire in St. Louis in the '90s? Similar situations: both big right-handed sluggers, both with the A's, both traded to a Midwest team that wears red

Who is his agent again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Who is his agent again?
    Satan (Scott Boras).
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Who is his agent again?
    Touche.

But then again, the Yankees/Red Sox/Cubs/Dodgers can't sign everybody.

And the Mets. Don't forget the Mets.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Bingo. We're much closer than we've been in the past, but not there yet. I prefer if we just hold down the fort for the majority of this year and let the young players develop. The only transactions I want to see are minor leaguers getting the occasional shot. If we're really in the thick of things come the trade deadline, I wouldn't mind us going for a bat...but only if it's not too expensive in terms of young talent.

My position exactly.

Turn Off Ads?