Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "It's Just Sports"

Re: "It's Just Sports"

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    "You play to win the game."

Call me a simpleton or a neanderthal, but I find no joy in losing. There are no moral victories in competitive efforts, and there is no point in competing if you're going to be satisfied with any result short of winning.
    Of course there is no joy in losing. But on the flip-side of losing - don't allow it to drive yourself into utter despair and depression either. Especially over circumstances that you, as a fan, have no control over. You're outside looking in.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Call me a simpleton or a neanderthal, but I find no joy in losing. There are no moral victories in competitive efforts, and there is no point in competing if you're going to be satisfied with any result short of winning.

No offense, but all this "It's not the destination, it's the journey" and "I cherish the season, the playoffs are just random luck" sounds like the kind of garbage Cubs fans have fed themselves for a century.
    If you set yourself up so that the only thing that counts is winning it all, a World's Championship, an NCAA title, whatever, then you have set yourself up for a lot of heartache and angst.

I'm sure I'm rationalizing, but there is enjoyment to be had in the season itself; CE, you are here all the time, reveling in the successes and wallowing in the defeats of the regular season. If you truly only cared about winning it all, then we would only see you during playoff season.
    sorry we're boring

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    If you set yourself up so that the only thing that counts is winning it all, a World's Championship, an NCAA title, whatever, then you have set yourself up for a lot of heartache and angst.
    How about just advancing in the playoffs. I'm not too picky.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    How about just advancing in the playoffs. I'm not too picky.
    fair enough- I'd prefer that too!
    sorry we're boring

No offense, but all this "It's not the destination, it's the journey" and "I cherish the season, the playoffs are just random luck" sounds like the kind of garbage Cubs fans have fed themselves for a century.
    Or it is reality. No one is saying that they are happy to lose. But maybe expectations should be calibrated properly as many teams who put together long stretches of success start with some postseason pain.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    If the reds lose will your wife stop having sex with you? Will your days be empty because you have no friends? Will your bank account drop and your mortgage percentage be tripled?

No... You'll find some other team to invest your emotion in and wring your hands when they underperform

Want to root for a winner?

Go to a Globetrotters game
    woy, you've been one of my favorite things on this board for the better part of ten years now. Posts like this just reinforce it.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

But when they went up 2-0, expectations increased and that's why the 2 straight losses seem to hurt more. Before the series, being at 2-2 with the 5th game at home would have seemed acceptable, but once they were up 2-0, going to 2-2, though the same in the previous scenario, is not so good. At least that is why it is bothering me so much and I think that applies to others as well - all the momentum seems negative and there is no more "tomorrow" for this team anymore - no more room for error. This is it.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Or it is reality. No one is saying that they are happy to lose. But maybe expectations should be calibrated properly as many teams who put together long stretches of success start with some postseason pain.

It's not "just" sports. But it is sports. There's some perspective implied in the definition, or there should be.

I'm sure that one of the reasons I became such a die-hard sports fan is because of the way it connects me with people. I didn't realize it at the time, but I'm cognizant of it now. I really take some things hard in sports, depending on my mood, the day, what else is going on in my life. But even in my lowest points of sports misery, I have people commisserating with me, or people who take care of me, or something to talk about with the next stranger I meet who's a fan of the same team. It's an immediate connection, the depth of which is rarely made with people I know on an otherwise superficial level. And it adds color and lightness to the relationships I have that otherwise run deep. Even at my most miserable sports moments, that connection remains. If my fandom didn't entail that, I think perspective would force me not to take sports so seriously. But that's the wonderful, positive aspect of fandom even in the depth of sports misery, so I allow the sports misery, because it all balances out.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 10-11-2012 at 10:40 AM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    It's not "just" sports. But it is sports. There's some perspective implied in the definition, or there should be.

I'm sure that one of the reasons I became such a die-hard sports fan is because of the way it connects me with people. I didn't realize it at the time, but I'm cognizant of it now. I really take some things hard in sports, depending on my mood, the day, what else is going on in my life. But even in my lowest points of sports misery, I have people commisserating with me, or people who take care of me, or something to talk about with the next stranger I meet who's a fan of the same team. It's an immediate connection, the depth of which is rarely made with people I know on an otherwise superficial level. And it adds color and lightness to the relationships I have that otherwise run deep. Even at my most miserable sports moments, that connection remains. If my fandom didn't entail that, I think perspective would force me not to take sports so seriously. But that's the wonderful, positive aspect of fandom even in the depth of sports misery, so I allow the sports misery, because it all balances out.
    +1

I love sports.

As I get older, and now with a family, sports cannot demand as much of my time and energy, and in some sense it's been a relief to find more balance that way.

But this time of year, I must explain to my wife, is so special that I cannot be so detached. I was downright morose for a minute after the loss yesterday. There is a time and place for things.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    +1

I love sports.

As I get older, and now with a family, sports cannot demand as much of my time and energy, and in some sense it's been a relief to find more balance that way.

But this time of year, I must explain to my wife, is so special that I cannot be so detached. I was downright morose for a minute after the loss yesterday. There is a time and place for things.
    This is me. I felt bad about feeling bad on Wednesday morning. That loss was heartbreaking. There obviously are way more important things in life, but I still can't quite get over it. It is what it is.

I guess on the bright side, people like us cherish the wins that much more.

I do agree with you to a point. Sports give me something to do and an outlet from life that helps keep my sanity. I will look up splits and chastise Dusty like many others, but when the rubber meets the road I do realize family, health, and my God are more important than if the Reds win or lose. That being said if the reds lose today I will be depressed for a day or two, but as anything else upsetting I get over it and move on. We have too! Anyway you slice it this has been a special season and mucho to look forward too through the next 4-5 years.

Go Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    This is me. I felt bad about feeling bad on Wednesday morning. That loss was heartbreaking. There obviously are way more important things in life, but I still can't quite get over it. It is what it is.

I guess on the bright side, people like us cherish the wins that much more.
    I was a sulken, sullen hot mess last night, until I sat down here and tried to talk others off the ledge. Then I began to feel a bit better.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    I would let my wife deny me for the next year for a win tomorrow.
    That's not much of commitment. For most married men, that wouldn't be much different than if the Reds lost
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I was a sulken, sullen hot mess last night, until I sat down here and tried to talk others off the ledge. Then I began to feel a bit better.
    This board is therapeutic for me. Sometimes just reading someone else vent about something that I was thinking about is all I need. Sometime I need to vent. I think that's why we see more postings when crazy bad stuff is happening. It's just human nature.

Worth The Wait

A few points in response to GAC and others:

1. Anyone who gets actually clinically depressed or has thoughts of ending their life as a result of sports needs professional help. I think even the most rabid and emotional among us would agree with that. I think when people say "I'm gonna be depressed for weeks if they lose," they are just talking. Sort of like saying, "I hope we kill them tomorrow." Probably not meant to be taken literally.

2. I am not a believer that "there is only one winner" at the end of a season. The Buffalo Bills never won it all but from 1988-1995 they gave their fans an incredible ride and those memories and experiences can't be taken away and they are real and meaningful. The 1999 Reds didn't even make the playoffs, yet I remember that team very fondly. It was not a wasted year because they didn't win. However, 13 years later, I can still see Marquis Grissom making that diving catch on Friday night of the Brewers series. It still stings and I still wish that ball would have dropped. Take that however you want to take it.

3. Part of the reason winning matters is because you don't want the ride to end. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who have tentative plans to attend NLCS games, have watch parties, etc...those are fun things and there is no guarantee we will ever get back. So, if its taken away, it hurts and it is disappointing.

4. Hopefully, everyone realizes that none of this matters if you don't have yor family, health, etc. There should always be perspective. But if you lose your job and are upset and scared, you don't necessarily need to hear "at least you aren't dead." Of course things can always be worse. There are far greater tragedies than anything that happens on an athletic field. But there is a time and place for everything...and I think sulking for a bit or being very disappointed when your team loses is acceptable assuming you keep it under control.

Turn Off Ads?