Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prospect: NL Pitchers for 2008 - Cueto #1

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Prospect: NL Pitchers for 2008 - Cueto #1

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg- View Post
    Good call. But I think I'd also have to say that Bailey will have a better career than Cueto. Yet, anything can happen and I haven't seen Cueto pitch much.
    I would take Bailey's career over Cueto's as well. Nothing against Cueto, I just think Homer is on a slightly different level than Johnny is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

So, I assume Cueto starts in AAA next year? What are the chances of him getting the call at some point in 08? Barring a major shakeup of the rotation this year I'd say it's pretty likely Cueto sees the Reds rotation by the trading deadline. Thoughts?

Rick Sweet said it could be a Bailey type situation. Half a year in AAA and up to the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    So, I assume Cueto starts in AAA next year? What are the chances of him getting the call at some point in 08? Barring a major shakeup of the rotation this year I'd say it's pretty likely Cueto sees the Reds rotation by the trading deadline. Thoughts?
    I'd have to agree with you that Cueto will start the year in AAA.

However, the Reds could do worse by signing someone along the likes of Kyle Lohse to take a spot in the rotation.

I wouldn't be opposed to having him start in the rotation but I'd have to think that he will be one of the first call ups in case of injury, unless he struggles to start the year.

People, this thread was originally about Johnny Cueto. Bring the Junior talk to one of the other 100 threads dedicated to him.

This thread is about Johnny Cueto and his chances in 2008. Eeeeek.
    I'm sorry. It was just the first thing that popped into my head.

How bout that Cueto though? He's a beast.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I'd have to agree with you that Cueto will start the year in AAA.

However, the Reds could do worse by signing someone along the likes of Kyle Lohse to take a spot in the rotation.

I wouldn't be opposed to having him start in the rotation but I'd have to think that he will be one of the first call ups in case of injury, unless he struggles to start the year.
    What about Carlos Silva? Should we try and see if we can get him to a 1-2 year deal?

Silva for a 2 year deal might be alright. Depends on if hes going to get 4 to 5 million or 8 to 9. He has been a innings eater the last few years so thats nice.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    They suspect that he may have durability issues because he's listed at 5'10"? What a bonehead statement. I imagine that half of the Hall-of-Fame pitchers and 70% of the pitchers before 1940 were 5'10" or less.

Height has nothing to do with durability in any sport. I can't believe they said that.
    If you look at the stats of shorter pitchers over the last 20 or so years, you'll find that they are less durable.

Before 1940 everyone was shorter

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    If you look at the stats of shorter pitchers over the last 20 or so years, you'll find that they are less durable.

Before 1940 everyone was shorter
    Thats not true. THT did a study on this. What they came to the conclusion of, is that skinny pitchers tend to break down more often than thicker pitchers, but that height had very little to do with anything.

A big enthusiastic NO to Silva. He is horrible.

Put Cueto in the rotation if we are that desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Thats not true. THT did a study on this. What they came to the conclusion of, is that skinny pitchers tend to break down more often than thicker pitchers, but that height had very little to do with anything.
    Pedro is listed as being 5'11", 170 lbs. Having seen him up close I'd be surprised if 5"11" is accurate, in fact, I was stunned by how "diminuitive" he is. Until the last two years he has been durable. It's a technique as well as a physical thing, some guys pitch so as to not hurt themselves, or are just put together in such a way as to be durable. If Cueto could be another Pedro for anything similar to 15 years, I would wear a smile so big for so long that my face would hurt

A big enthusiastic NO to Silva. He is horrible.

Put Cueto in the rotation if we are that desperate.
    I agree. plus Silva will get a deal like Marquis, Meche, etc.

If the Reds want to compete in 2008 they need to turn their excess outfielder/1B players into a #3 starter who is as good as Arroyo. Then Bailey-Belisle-Shearns-etc can fill out the 4/5 slots. Cueto starts 2008 in AAA.

Note - The only free agent starter on the market who fits this mold is Schilling and I can't see him coming to the Reds.
    However I would be happy to see the Reds give him a one year deal at say $15M rather than pay Silva 4 yrs/$40M.
    Lieber is another guy who would likely take a 1 year deal.
    The Reds will have to overpay to get quality free agents to come here but overpaying on a 1 year deal beats overpaying on a 3-4 year deal.

^^^I agree. I'd much rather overpay for one year of Curt Schilling (and the fans he'd bring to the ballpark) as opposed to overpaying for multiple years of a lesser pitcher. This would also allow us to give Cueto and maybe Bailey (if needed) a little more time as opposed to rushing them up. If they don't need the time then they can take Shearn and Belisle's spots.

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    ^^^I agree. I'd much rather overpay for one year of Curt Schilling (and the fans he'd bring to the ballpark) as opposed to overpaying for multiple years of a lesser pitcher. This would also allow us to give Cueto and maybe Bailey (if needed) a little more time as opposed to rushing them up. If they don't need the time then they can take Shearn and Belisle's spots.
    I think everyone that mentioned Silva would take Schilling for 1 year no matter what the cost.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I'm very excited by everything I hear about Johnny Cueto. It sounds like he's the total package, raw stuff, control, AND a pitcher's head. This makes me even more anxious to sign Greg Maddux...if Cueto can add a plus circle change to his repertoire from working with Mario Soto, I'd love to see what he can learn from Maddux. He sounds as if he has the tools to become a Maddux-type pitcher. No matter what, I'm looking forward to my first sight of this kid on the mound...sounds like it will be a special treat.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Turn Off Ads?