Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can Bruce play in center??

Re: Can Bruce play in center??

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Bruce and Stubbs are the two most productive OF the Reds have. Impossibly high bars set by hopes and dreams notwithstanding. They're good young players. They contribute positively. Best of all, they're under the Reds control for years to come and inexpensive.

If Heisey played more instead of Gomes, the Reds would likely be a better team.
    Gomes must've ran over your dog 'cause you definitely have a jones on for running him down. There's no doubt that Bruce and Stubbs can "D" it up with any other tandem in the league BUT "the most productive"? gimme a break. The comparison is as far apart offensively and it is defensively. Offensively Gomes is superior in every cateogory to both of those guys(shouldn't Bruce have another run or two batted in at this point considering his total of ab's?) and is actually prone to getting a hit with runner's on which is something the Reds haven't had alot of the past several years.

Also I love the fact that everyone just throws out there how Jonny is killing the team defensively. If your LF defense is the difference in making the postseason or not then that is gonna be one hell of a race. I do agree with those of you who say that improved defense has led to improved pitching but I also believe better arms and a deeper supply of them could possibly have a little to do with it also. For all the chatter about Gomes and his defense I was glad to at least see some people switching gears and moving over to the Janish camp(which was a very small camp this offseason).

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    Gomes must've ran over your dog 'cause you definitely have a jones on for running him down. There's no doubt that Bruce and Stubbs can "D" it up with any other tandem in the league BUT "the most productive"? gimme a break. The comparison is as far apart offensively and it is defensively. Offensively Gomes is superior in every cateogory to both of those guys(shouldn't Bruce have another run or two batted in at this point considering his total of ab's?) and is actually prone to getting a hit with runner's on which is something the Reds haven't had alot of the past several years.

Also I love the fact that everyone just throws out there how Jonny is killing the team defensively. If your LF defense is the difference in making the postseason or not then that is gonna be one hell of a race. I do agree with those of you who say that improved defense has led to improved pitching but I also believe better arms and a deeper supply of them could possibly have a little to do with it also. For all the chatter about Gomes and his defense I was glad to at least see some people switching gears and moving over to the Janish camp(which was a very small camp this offseason).
    I think most posters here believe that an OF of Heisey/Stubbs/Bruce is likely better than an OF where Gomes is the LF and Heisey replaces one of the other two guys.

Gomes OPS of .795 simply doesn't make up for the defensive and running downgrade he brings to the table.

When Gomes was OPS'ing .900 it was a different matter.

But he isn't; he's the weak link in the OF now.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I think most posters here believe that an OF of Heisey/Stubbs/Bruce is likely better than an OF where Gomes is the LF and Heisey replaces one of the other two guys.

Gomes OPS of .795 simply doesn't make up for the defensive and running downgrade he brings to the table.

Yep.

At the very least, hasn't Heisey warranted more playing time? He's the one I want to see more of. Let Gomes thump one off the bench and start a couple times a week but get Hesiey more starts.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

I don't doubt you on that at all...it's not cool to praise 'ole Jonny here....unfortunately I don't care about being cool. I'm guessing Gomes true OPS number lies somewhere between that .795 and .900. I'm a Jonny fan and even though I really haven't seen guys pitch around him any I'm still thinking he'd be closer to the high end with someone pulling their weight behind him.

btw...IMO finding someone to get on base at the top of the order is the biggest need this team has at the moment. Don't know if Dickerson can be that guy for any sustained period of time but I'm anxious to see him give it a shot.

This time last year I was in agreement about Heisey playing over Gomes and I still see some reasons to play Heisey. That said it's not as slam dunk as last year the gap has definitely shrunk in the offseason for me. Watching Heisey his swing doesn't seem conducive to being effective day in and day out right now (but hopefully soon), his selectivity isn't quite where I'd like to see it either which I didn't expect. Gomes OTOH I feel has actually improved in the offseason, could be a mirage I suppose but he looks like he has gotten to more balls than last season and his ineffectiveness vs. certain pitches isn't as extreme.

Heisey would still be a starter for me next season unless someone else was added in the offseason. But at this juncture I think I could be content with either of them starting but since we need offense I think Gomes is a slightly better fit right now. I could get behind swapping out Stubbs for Heisey/Dickerson for the month of August at least. With Stubbs taking some hacks in Louisville until the deadline for playoff rosters are set. I don't know Heisey would be more productive (I'm thinking he might be) than Stubbs but I'd like to find out.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Who is Parker Perry?
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Just another man with an internet connection and an opinion.
    So it could be you?

Or me!

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    or me?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    I don't doubt you on that at all...it's not cool to praise 'ole Jonny here....unfortunately I don't care about being cool. I'm guessing Gomes true OPS number lies somewhere between that .795 and .900. I'm a Jonny fan and even though I really haven't seen guys pitch around him any I'm still thinking he'd be closer to the high end with someone pulling their weight behind him.
    Jonny's OPS is .795 right in line with his career average. It's not like we've seen better before, we haven't.

One would think that if he was being "pitched around" he'd have the occasional walk.

But as you say, you haven't seen him pitched around so I'm guessing he hasn 't been.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Spider-Man would make a great Center fielder.
    Lots of web gems from him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I AM PARKER PERRY!

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Lots of web gems from him.
    Dude...

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Spider-Man would make a great Center fielder.
    He would probably be considered lazy because all he would have to due is shoot a web to catch a ball.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

I AM PARKER PERRY!

but if you are Parker Perry, does that make me Nate?
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

I'm not down on any of these guys, really, but Bruce and Stubbs are both young, and, as good as the offense has been for the season, the number of shutouts is worrisome. The team's in a pennant race, and picking up another solid bat while rotating the kids would be a solid move, imho. If the goal's to win, there's no better time than now.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    I'm not down on any of these guys, really, but Bruce and Stubbs are both young, and, as good as the offense has been for the season, the number of shutouts is worrisome. The team's in a pennant race, and picking up another solid bat while rotating the kids would be a solid move, imho. If the goal's to win, there's no better time than now.
    I agree. The offense has been good, but it's impossible to deny that they're both struggling terribly. Add in the struggles of vets like Phillips and Rolen and the regression of Hanigan, and they're going to need reinforcements. But, of course, they're going to need pitching reinforcements too. That fact hasn't changed either.

Turn Off Ads?