Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Cam Newton or his handler wanted money?

Re: Cam Newton or his handler wanted money?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Its going to go away in the sense that the NCAA is going to make ruling and end it.

I don't know what the NCAA will do because one has to assume that they know more than we know but right now Auburn is sitting where they want to be considering the story. I think they feel like this is not going to end in the explosion that many seem to expect.

We'll see.
    That's got to be the most optimistic statement I've ever seen on the matter. When have you ever known the NCAA to "make ruling and end it." That's never been how they operate.

They gather. And gather. And gather. And deliberate. And deliberate. And deliberate some more. Then they rule.

If the FBI is now involved, as reported, you can bet they will milk their coattails for all it's worth.

This won't likely end well for Auburn. It's not going away and it stands a very good chance of getting worse.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think the NCAA ought to make an effort to rule on this more quickly than they normally do. I don't think it's in their best interests to have Auburn playing for a national title with the possibility of having it revoked shortly after the t-shirts are printed. That sort of uncertainty can make a mockery of the BCS championship, not to mention the unfairness to the #3 team who missed out on a chance to play for it all. If it's Boise then it could be a once in a lifetime chance missed

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think the NCAA ought to make an effort to rule on this more quickly than they normally do. I don't think it's in their best interests to have Auburn playing for a national title with the possibility of having it revoked shortly after the t-shirts are printed. That sort of uncertainty can make a mockery of the BCS championship, not to mention the unfairness to the #3 team who missed out on a chance to play for it all. If it's Boise then it could be a once in a lifetime chance missed
    It's a fairness issue that is driving the quickness. Not only to #3 but to #2 in the SEC West.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Auburn wants them to take as long as possible. You think they are going to give back all their t-shirts printed for SEC Champs? How about National Championship Champs? They will take all that money to the bank and wish Cam luck in the pros.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Auburn wants them to take as long as possible. You think they are going to give back all their t-shirts printed for SEC Champs? How about National Championship Champs? They will take all that money to the bank and wish Cam luck in the pros.
    No doubt it's in Auburn's best interests to have a slow investigation but that's it. The other 100 or so football programs should be pushing for a quick resolution

It's a fairness issue that is driving the quickness. Not only to #3 but to #2 in the SEC West.
    #2 in the SEC West isn't going to play for a national championship and I doubt they can wrap up this investigation in the next week which is what they'd have to do in order to keep the #2 SEC West team from getting screwed

#2 in the SEC West isn't going to play for a national championship and I doubt they can wrap up this investigation in the next week which is what they'd have to do in order to keep the #2 SEC West team from getting screwed
    But #2 would become undefeated if the worst case scenario happens and Auburn's season was vacated. LSU would be guaranteed an additional game that gave them a chance for a conference championship (i.e. it's not just another game) and given #2 is #5 in the BCS rankings, it's not a huge leap that an NCAA ruling could have BCS implications not just limited to Auburn being removed from the picture.

BTW, I don't think Auburn's season will be vacated.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

But #2 would become undefeated if the worst case scenario happens and Auburn's season was vacated. LSU would be guaranteed an additional game that gave them a chance for a conference championship (i.e. it's not just another game) and given #2 is #5 in the BCS rankings, it's not a huge leap that an NCAA ruling could have BCS implications not just limited to Auburn being removed from the picture.

BTW, I don't think Auburn's season will be vacated.
    #2 wouldn't become undefeated. Teams don't get wins when their opponent has to vacate wins.

BTW, I think that Auburn's season will be vacated and the program be placed on probation at best.

#2 wouldn't become undefeated. Teams don't get wins when their opponent has to vacate wins.

BTW, I think that Auburn's season will be vacated and the program be placed on probation at best.
    If the decision was made during the season, the loss would revert (assuming the NCAA forfeits them rather than vacates).

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...stics+Policies

There's a lot of ifs and unknowns but if the NCAA declares Cam ineligible, it's tough to predict how they would interpret the infraction and how they would deal with records. This is an unusual case.
    Last edited by jojo; 11-18-2010 at 11:40 AM.

If the decision was made during the season, the loss would revert (assuming the NCAA forfeits them rather than vacates).
    Ok makes sense. I know when teams like USC and Memphis had to vacate their wins the team that lost didn't get a W instead.

Also on a different SEC note, weren't there rumors about UF having to vacate their Sugar Bowl win against UC?

Ok makes sense. I know when teams like USC and Memphis had to vacate their wins the team that lost didn't get a W instead.

Also on a different SEC note, weren't there rumors about UF having to vacate their Sugar Bowl win against UC?
    Vacating a season doesn't effect the record of opponents-forfeiting does. My language wasn't accurate in post #157.

I am of the opinion that voters wouldn't allow LSU to benefit from Auburn's misfortune but it will be a hot topic of discussion

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp

The reports are starting to get more detailed. Now there was a payment plan in place for Cam's services.

Bell told ESPN.com he is publicly talking about the payment plan to make clear Mississippi State did not break NCAA rules.

Yeah, THAT'S why you're talking.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

IF Auburn gets nailed to the wall and set on fire by the NCAA, it will probably be because the rumors are true about the FBI wiretapping McGregor (gambling proprietor, Auburn booster and business partner of Bobby Lowder, a name every SEC fan knows) and having Auburn dead to rights on a lot more than Cam Newton, information they happily shared with the NCAA once the figures involved were indicted and the wiretaps were unsealed.

Or that could all be a bunch of hooey. Guess we'll find out eventually.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?