Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Team USA Basketball Thread

Re: Team USA Basketball Thread

Gotta be honest, I loved the game today. It was exactly what they needed. Russia kept them in the half court and forced them to work for points. They still dominated.

Very good to see.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Have to set a good impression for my soon-to-be 5 year old.

Root against all things Duke, Michigan, and North Carolina.

Always.

I'm hoping K's back goes out on him in Beijing like it did during the 94-95 college season. Then I'll be able to root for the 'Mericans with a clean conscience.
    Coach K is a great coach. Period. End of discussion. I'm not a Duke fan by any means, but give the man his due. And asking for his back to go out is a bit much

This whole thread is crazy. I mean who roots for the USA to lose in the Olympics? I guess we know a few people now.

We are talking about he name on the front of the jersey not the one on the back.

GO USA!

Any thoughts on the Kidd not playing/benching in the 2nd half? Is it just Coach K giving a veteran some rest or something more. It is very obvious that Williams has been a more effective all around point especially in splitting the middle of the zone and applying ball pressure on the opposing guards. Paul has also been much better on the offensive end than Kidd,but has also been caught flat footed several times on defense. While I think Williams and Paul are much better options at the point than Kidd, I like the idea of bringing them off the bench for a change of pace much like is being done with Wade.

The play of the bigs has been puzzling as well. Howard can be a manchild down low at times and then disappear for the whole game like today. Bosh seems like an okay option but I would have liked to see him at the 4 in place of Boozer and another true 5 brought in to compliment the athletic Howard when he comes out. The problem is I cannot think of any American who fits that description right now. Oden, Bynum, or Hibbert have the potential to fit that bill, but non of them have any business playing in the Olympics right now.

Finally, I would have loved to seen Rasheed Wallace put on the team just to see how he reacts to some of these calls from the international officials.

Cincy: Brad Miller comes to mind as does Jermaine O'Neal but I think O'Neal is focusing on coming back strong next season from his injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    We are talking about he name on the front of the jersey not the one on the back.
    Then why do they have names on the back?

Quote Originally Posted by cincy jacket View Post
    Any thoughts on the Kidd not playing/benching in the 2nd half? Is it just Coach K giving a veteran some rest or something more. It is very obvious that Williams has been a more effective all around point especially in splitting the middle of the zone and applying ball pressure on the opposing guards. Paul has also been much better on the offensive end than Kidd,but has also been caught flat footed several times on defense. While I think Williams and Paul are much better options at the point than Kidd, I like the idea of bringing them off the bench for a change of pace much like is being done with Wade.

The play of the bigs has been puzzling as well. Howard can be a manchild down low at times and then disappear for the whole game like today. Bosh seems like an okay option but I would have liked to see him at the 4 in place of Boozer and another true 5 brought in to compliment the athletic Howard when he comes out. The problem is I cannot think of any American who fits that description right now. Oden, Bynum, or Hibbert have the potential to fit that bill, but non of them have any business playing in the Olympics right now.

Finally, I would have loved to seen Rasheed Wallace put on the team just to see how he reacts to some of these calls from the international officials.
    Great post. I have the sinking suspicion that Kidd is done. He was horrendous for the Mavs towards the end of the season. I want to see Paul and Williams at all times. Kidd should be a "coach".

Finally, you mentioned 'Sheed (my favorite player). He would be the perfect post option for this team. He can D' any international big (especially the Gasol boys, Dirk, or Okur) and he can shoot (an international game requirement). Really, when you think about it, Rasheed is the most complete post player in the NBA in the last 20 years. He can shoot, pass, post-up, defend, and is a selfless teammate. It's just unfortunate that he has a "slight" temper.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Most complete post player? That is absurd! Rasheed rarely if ever even plays the post. He is too busy shooting long jumpers and 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    Then why do they have names on the back?
    So you have something to complain about?

Most complete post player? That is absurd! Rasheed rarely if ever even plays the post. He is too busy shooting long jumpers and 3s.
    Sheed has a terrific turn-around baseline jumper from about 6-8 feet. It is his most deadly weapon.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    So you have something to complain about?
    Good response, if you are in 4th grade. I'm not complaining about anything. I just don't like some of the players on the Team USA roster. All the complaining is being done by those of you who refuse to accept the fact that some people just don't care about the Olympics, especially a team made up of street thugs.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Sheed has a terrific turn-around baseline jumper from about 6-8 feet. It is his most deadly weapon.
    That is fine, it doesn't make him the most complete post player because he can execute one post move. The guy averages about 15 PPG. 90% of his time is spent on the perimeter or yapping at the refs. It takes one call to get him off his game. A complete player wouldn't let the refs get under his skin.

Rasheed is like Derrick Coleman. The ability to be the best but just not the head to do it. 20 years is a long time. You are spanning the careers of Karl Malone and Charles Barkley, two guys who should be considered much better players (and complete) than Wallace. Barkley could kill you inside and out. He could dribble by you or go thru you. Malone might be the best 4 to ever play the game and he too could hit the outside shot.

Street thugs? Carmelo is the only one on the roster that you could easily label that. Do you want them to recruit white guys? Ask Larry Bird how well that works.

I'd really rather not have Sheed on the team either lol... They need Shaq to come in for a few minutes a game

Also, I'd avoid Brad Miller too with his current drug suspension.

Malone might be the best 4 to ever play the game and he too could hit the outside shot.
    Tim Duncan has a whole lot of hardware in his living room that might dispute that assertion.

Yeah, I thought the thug factor on Team USA was way down for the 2008 version. With guys like Prince, Battier, etc. it seemed that the team concept was being emphasized more. I was much happier with the roster makeup of this team over previous years.

However, I get distinctly uneasy when the US emphasizes fast breaks and who can make the most spectacular dunk. Y'all can do that against Turkey or Iran, but when you play the big teams, those fast break points just won't be there. Like Russia did, teams know they can't run with the US so they'll do everything they can to slow down the pace of play.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?