Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Try Leake in LF 2-3 nights a week

Re: Try Leake in LF 2-3 nights a week

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post
    Didn't Leake play SS on days he wasn't pitching back in the day?
    This is in his sophomore year at ASU:
    He also batted .340 with 2 homers and 11 RBI in 47 at bats while playing first base, second base, shortstop, left field, center field, and right field.
    I cannot find the quote but I distinctly remember during the College World Series they were speaking with Pat Taylor about Leake's athletic ability. I am paraphrasing here but Taylor said something along the lines that 'Leake would have been the best player on that ASU squad at any position he would have put him in'.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Let's see how Leake would react to curves and sliders then we will revisit this idea.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Let's see how Leake would react to curves and sliders then we will revisit this idea.
    Or he gets injured chasing a flyball or running out a groundball. Of course we all know there is always a great(er?) risk of injury when pitching, but the man is a pitcher. He is also in our starting staff (like that or not). Much easier to accept if he goes on the DL due to pitching than playing OF.

I have heard Chapman is a heck of an athlete and even runs very fast. Does not mean you'd use him as a pinch-runner. His importance to this team lies elsewhere.

Now I'd be supportive of Leake occasionally being used as a PH!

How about DH when the team is @AL parks?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    .648 career OPS in 200 PA not including tonight.

Don't let the smooth taste fool you.

Reds current LF collective is sporting a .583 OPS

I agree that Leake is not an everyday MLB caliber OF but neither are Heisey/Paul.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post

I agree that Leake is not an everyday MLB caliber OF but neither are Heisey/Paul.
    Xavier Paul had 14 plate appearances this year. He is hitting .286/.286/.500.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    How about DH when the team is @AL parks?
    I can't think of a worse plan than having the one opportunity to get one of your bats off the bench for a full set of at-bats (like, Xavier Paul) and passing that up for Mike Leake.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post
    Didn't Leake play SS on days he wasn't pitching back in the day?
    Funny, I was at the game last night and mentioned to my father in law that Leake would put together a better season offensively than Izturis if given the same at bats. I guess it could happen with the glove too.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

During Leake's first start of the year, I bet with my roommate a 6 pack that Mike Leake will have a better batting average at season's end than Mesoraco. After last night, I like my chances.
    "The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price." -Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Funny, I was at the game last night and mentioned to my father in law that Leake would put together a better season offensively than Izturis if given the same at bats. I guess it could happen with the glove too.
    Last year, I would have taken Mike Leake as a PH over Wilson Valdez every day and twice on Sunday. Also Kris Negron, Willie Harris, and maybe Miguel Cairo.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post

I'm not sure I follow the slippery slope argument but it's more likely that those guys combine for a .700-ish OPS in addition to knowing how to play the position.

Great? No.

Better than what Leake would probably put up? Very likely.

He's a better hitter at this point than Rick Ankiel was..

...or Rick Astley!

Mike Leake is a career .283/.315/.364 hitter with a 9:1 SO/BB ratio and a .423 BABIP. Batting 15 times a week that BABIP will not hold up. And when it regresses, you've got a hitter with a sub .500 OPS
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by mgbrown66 View Post
    He's a better hitter at this point than Rick Ankiel was..

...or Rick Astley!
    Yes. But we all know the things Rick is never gonna do!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Mike Leake is a career .283/.315/.364 hitter with a 9:1 SO/BB ratio and a .423 BABIP. Batting 15 times a week that BABIP will not hold up. And when it regresses, you've got a hitter with a sub .500 OPS
    I don't disagree with the point you're making, but sample size works both directions. He also has only 200 career plate appearances, so it's possible that the SO/BB ratio would change and his iso would increase with more time. The BABIP isn't the only thing that might be wildly subject to change with more chances.

That said, Chris Heisey has a .737 OPS over nearly 1,000 plate appearances. I'd still bet on him being a better option than Leake anyhow.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?