Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Black Monday Starts Early

Re: Black Monday Starts Early

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Of all the NFL teams, why would Saban go to Cleveland? Men with far less going for them have turned them down
    http://tracking.si.com/2012/12/10/ni...-browns-coach/

From last year, but still.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I like this quote from that article:

Haslam’s role as an influential University of Tennessee booster, could come into play if he’s able to lure Saban away from SEC rival Alabama.

I am sure a call was made to Saban by the Browns and I am sure it was rebuffed quickly when he made his demands known to the team. Saban isn't going to leave Bama without getting total control of that franchise. I don't think the Stooges want to give that up.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Sounds as if Pettine is the man in Cleveland. Color me unimpressed.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...eveland-browns

Rumor has it that the Stooges are offering him an eight game contract, with an option for another eight.

6. Likes:

Sea Ray (01-23-2014)

It's official......Pettine hired as the Browns HC.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ine-next-coach

So let me get this straight. The Browns hire the DC of the team their putrid offense scored the most points on the entire season? You really can't make this stuff up.

You're on fire jimbo!

But did the Bills have the personnel (coach-able talent) on the defensive side of the ball like the Browns do? What did he have to work with?

He's got some pretty solid defensive credentials (learned from some of the best, like Brian Billick and Rex Ryan).

But he has never worked on the offensive side of the ball. That's where the question mark comes in.

CEO Banner .....

"From that group, we hired the best individual for this job. Our players and fans are going to really enjoy Mike Pettine and his leadership style. We're excited to have him out in front of our team, and we look forward to working closely with him."

We'll see.

I think this team can be much improved if the right personnel are drafted on the offensive side.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-24-2014 at 04:50 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    You're on fire jimbo!

But did the Bills have the personnel (coach-able talent) on the defensive side of the ball like the Browns do? What did he have to work with?

He's got some pretty solid defensive credentials (learned from some of the best, like Brian Billick and Rex Ryan).

But he has never worked on the offensive side of the ball. That's where the question mark comes in.

CEO Banner .....

"From that group, we hired the best individual for this job. Our players and fans are going to really enjoy Mike Pettine and his leadership style. We're excited to have him out in front of our team, and we look forward to working closely with him."

We'll see.

I think this team can be much improved if the right personnel are drafted on the offensive side.
    Not to kick a man while he's down, but the Bills had like five first round picks on D. Mario Williams, Marcel Dareus, Stephon Gilmore, Leodis McKelvin, and even Kiko Alonso (2nd rounder but probable ROY)
    Go BLUE!!!

Jim Schwartz hired as Buffalo's defensive coordinator following Pettine's departure. Pretty good replacement.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Browns fire Mike Pettine.

http://profootballmock.com/browns-fi...een-hours-job/

I don't know what's funnier, the article or the fact that opinion of the Browns is so low now that I know people who actually believed it, or at least thought it was plausible when they heard it.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

12. Likes:

Chip R (01-25-2014),Tom Servo (01-25-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Browns fire Mike Pettine.

http://profootballmock.com/browns-fi...een-hours-job/

I don't know what's funnier, the article or the fact that opinion of the Browns is so low now that I know people who actually believed it, or at least thought it was plausible when they heard it.
    What's even funnier is that the Stooges claim it's all media driven.

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-25-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Not to kick a man while he's down, but the Bills had like five first round picks on D. Mario Williams, Marcel Dareus, Stephon Gilmore, Leodis McKelvin, and even Kiko Alonso (2nd rounder but probable ROY)
    I stand corrected.

Also, upon a little research, the Bill's defense was top 10 in the NFL last year, and 2nd in the league in sacks and INTs.

Browns have also asked permission to talk with the Bill's linebacker coach Jim O'Neil, who was brought to the Bills from the Jets by Pettine. And in his four years with the Jets, their defense put up some pretty solid numbers.

But Brown fans already know their team has a pretty strong defense. Maybe now they can address the woes on the offensive side? Is that too much to ask?

Maybe they should take QBs with both their 1st round picks, so between the three (including Hoyer) we might hit on one of them! LOL

There were rumors over the last few days that Gary Kubiak was being looked at for offensive coordinator ... which I would have loved ... but he's taken his name off the list, and it appears he will take the year off for health reasons.

The Browns ownership is going to regret, IMO, letting Norv Tuner get away. But I guess they had to after he angrily blasted them in a face-to face coaching meeting after the firing of Chud. But what Norv said to them was right on the money!

Norv is now teamed with ex-Bengal coach Zimmerman in Minnesota.

What the heck is Lindy Infante doing these days? LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I stand corrected.

Also, upon a little research, the Bill's defense was top 10 in the NFL last year, and 2nd in the league in sacks and INTs.

Browns have also asked permission to talk with the Bill's linebacker coach Jim O'Neil, who was brought to the Bills from the Jets by Pettine. And in his four years with the Jets, their defense put up some pretty solid numbers.

But Brown fans already know their team has a pretty strong defense. Maybe now they can address the woes on the offensive side? Is that too much to ask?

Maybe they should take QBs with both their 1st round picks, so between the three (including Hoyer) we might hit on one of them! LOL

There were rumors over the last few days that Gary Kubiak was being looked at for offensive coordinator ... which I would have loved ... but he's taken his name off the list, and it appears he will take the year off for health reasons.

The Browns ownership is going to regret, IMO, letting Norv Tuner get away. But I guess they had to after he angrily blasted them in a face-to face coaching meeting after the firing of Chud. But what Norv said to them was right on the money!

Norv is now teamed with ex-Bengal coach Zimmerman in Minnesota.

What the heck is Lindy Infante doing these days? LOL
    So you like the hire?

Pettine reminds me a lot of Coughlin, hard nosed and organized. I think he will grow on the fans in Cleveland.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...gamble_to.html

The Miami situation has taken a turn for the worse. The botched GM search is over but several players have asked off the sinking ship.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    It's official......Pettine hired as the Browns HC.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ine-next-coach

So let me get this straight. The Browns hire the DC of the team their putrid offense scored the most points on the entire season? You really can't make this stuff up.
    Just saw this remark. Sadly it is not true.

Turn Off Ads?