Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Black Monday Starts Early

Re: Black Monday Starts Early

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Pettine reminds me a lot of Coughlin, hard nosed and organized. I think he will grow on the fans in Cleveland.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...gamble_to.html
    Rightly or wrongly, he's going to have to deal with some skepticism from Browns fans. The way management botched the firing of Chud and the coaching search, he's got the stigma of the guy they settled for rather than the guy they actually wanted. I think the only way he's going to win over some fans will be to win football games. I've always found many of my friends who are Browns fans to be pretty optimistic about the team and generally willing to give the team the benefit of the doubt when it comes to coaching hires. But as of late they sound more like Bengals fans in their pessimistic view on the situation.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Rightly or wrongly, he's going to have to deal with some skepticism from Browns fans. The way management botched the firing of Chud and the coaching search, he's got the stigma of the guy they settled for rather than the guy they actually wanted. I think the only way he's going to win over some fans will be to win football games. I've always found many of my friends who are Browns fans to be pretty optimistic about the team and generally willing to give the team the benefit of the doubt when it comes to coaching hires. But as of late they sound more like Bengals fans in their pessimistic view on the situation.
    The Browns died when Art Modell moved the team to Baltimore and ripped the heart out of Cleveland.

The post-Modell Browns have been terrible, like Vancouver Grizzlies terrible. I really believe Haslam could move the team to LA right now and nobody would care.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Pettine reminds me a lot of Coughlin, hard nosed and organized. I think he will grow on the fans in Cleveland.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...gamble_to.html
    Hard-nosed and organized is great as long as you win football games. You tend to lose a locker room really quickly with a "my way or the highway" attitude if the "my way" part doesn't produce in the W-L column.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

5. Likes:

RiverRat13 (01-27-2014),Tom Servo (01-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Hard-nosed and organized is great as long as you win football games. You tend to lose a locker room really quickly with a "my way or the highway" attitude if the "my way" part doesn't produce in the W-L column.
    I think Pettine is more Zimmer than Schiano. But time will tell, he will at least get 2 yrs.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

7. Likes:

jimbo (01-27-2014)

The Cowboys dysfunction continues: Scott Linehan will be hired to call plays for the the team while Bill Callahan will not be allowed out of his contract. Callahan had been rumored to the Browns as OC if Linehan was hired.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    So you like the hire?
    I like it. I just hope our ownership does!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The Browns died when Art Modell moved the team to Baltimore and ripped the heart out of Cleveland.

The post-Modell Browns have been terrible, like Vancouver Grizzlies terrible. I really believe Haslam could move the team to LA right now and nobody would care.
    Other than the fact they've been terrible, the above is just not true. They have one of the strongest, most loyal fan bases that stretches even world-wide (see Browns Backers), and a solid market. That's why the city fought and took legal action, and why the NFL intervened and worked out a compromise. And since 1999 Cleveland Browns have consistently sold out the 73,200 seats for every home game. Can they claim that in Cincy, and numerous other NFL cities?
    Last edited by GAC; 01-28-2014 at 05:05 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Other than the fact they've been terrible, the above is just not true. They have one of the strongest, most loyal fan bases that stretches even world-wide (see Browns Backers), and a solid market. That's why the city fought and took legal action, and why the NFL intervened and worked out a compromise. And since 1999 Cleveland Browns have consistently sold out the 73,200 seats for every home game. Can they claim that in Cincy, and numerous other NFL cities?
    The Browns have a large fan base that was a result of them being a dominant team in the early years of football. Their fan base stretches across Ohio and into some areas of Dayton and even Cincinnati. Granted the Bengals have pretty much grabbed Dayton from the Browns and have turned Columbus into almost a split town.

Ever since Modell took the Browns to Baltimore they have been a model of dysfunction. Since 99 they have been the Bungles, Aints, and Phoenix Cardinals all rolled into one. It has been a bevy of missed draft picks, a turnstile of coaches. An owner who liked his EPL team better than his NFL team and an owner being investigated by the FBI. The fact that they have sold out every home game since 99 is a shock to me, I don't know to be impressed or saddened by that.

The Cowboys dysfunction continues: Scott Linehan will be hired to call plays for the the team while Bill Callahan will not be allowed out of his contract. Callahan had been rumored to the Browns as OC if Linehan was hired.
    Linehan will be their third different play caller in as many years, despite ranking 5th in the NFL in total points scored last year (one more TD and they would've been 3rd).
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Linehan will be their third different play caller in as many years, despite ranking 5th in the NFL in total points scored last year (one more TD and they would've been 3rd).
    I thought their play calling was pretty poor at times. One such example really sticks in my head as how NOT to manage a clock. Dallas was @ NYG, tie game, ball within FG range (albeit a 45 or so yarder), under 2 minutes and NYG couldn't stop the clock. Dallas had time outs and was in complete control. Worst case scenario should have been they missed a FG at the gun and the game went into OT. On 1st down Dallas calls a pass play that is INC pretty much giving life back to the Giants. I think during that series they threw the ball 3 or 4 times, they did pick up a 1st down and were able to run out the clock. To me that is where you have to sit on the ball. Try and pick up another 5-10 yards by running the ball and milking the clock. In that situation an incomplete pass is about as bad as it gets.

Too many times last season I was forced to watch the Cowboys and too many times they had play calls that went against what should have happened. Anyone remember the GB game where they squandered a 20+ point half time lead to Matt Flynn? When you have a river boat gambler back there at QB you have to play the game safe in winning situations. The Cowboys just didn't do that this season.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The Browns have a large fan base that was a result of them being a dominant team in the early years of football. Their fan base stretches across Ohio and into some areas of Dayton and even Cincinnati. Granted the Bengals have pretty much grabbed Dayton from the Browns and have turned Columbus into almost a split town.

Ever since Modell took the Browns to Baltimore they have been a model of dysfunction. Since 99 they have been the Bungles, Aints, and Phoenix Cardinals all rolled into one. It has been a bevy of missed draft picks, a turnstile of coaches. An owner who liked his EPL team better than his NFL team and an owner being investigated by the FBI. The fact that they have sold out every home game since 99 is a shock to me, I don't know to be impressed or saddened by that.
    Not arguing one bit with any of the above buck. They've had two winning seasons and one post-season appearance since coming back. They've sucked it up pretty good.

But I was responding to the contention that Haslam could move the team elsewhere and no one would care. The Browns have a strong market and fan-base. The team ain't going nowhere. The Browns Backers is one of the largest organized fan clubs in professional sports with 360 clubs in over 10 countries.

Right now our team sucks ...... but we're loyal!

Kiffin demoted by Jerry Jones to assistant head coach. Marinelli will be the new DC.

Cowboy fans wish someone would demote Jerry Jones!

In a stunning announcement on Tuesday morning, the Cleveland Browns revealed that Ray Farmer is their new general manager, as CEO Joe Banner and former G.M. Mike Lombardi are leaving the team.

The Browns are freaking hilarious man.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

18. Likes:

jimbo (02-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    In a stunning announcement on Tuesday morning, the Cleveland Browns revealed that Ray Farmer is their new general manager, as CEO Joe Banner and former G.M. Mike Lombardi are leaving the team.

The Browns are freaking hilarious man.
    Would it surprise anyone if Pettine gets fired under the logic that the new guys wanted to bring in their own guy.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

20. Likes:

Chip R (02-11-2014),Tom Servo (02-11-2014)

Turn Off Ads?