Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former Cowboy S Roy Williams visiting the Bengals today.

Former Cowboy S Roy Williams visiting the Bengals today.

Ex-Dallas Cowboys safety Williams visiting Cincinnati

12:05 AM CDT on Thursday, March 19, 2009

IRVING – Roy Williams is in Cincinnati, visiting with the Bengals, where he could be reunited with defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer.

According to Williams' agent, Jordan Woy, Williams has already turned down one offer and he has two more potential visits.

Todd Archer

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Former Cowboy S Roy Williams visiting the Bengals today.

I know he has been pretty good, is he still a top safety? I haven't be able to see him play the last year. I'd have to think he'd be an upgrade over what we have.

The dude is a linebacker playing safety. This is a potential typical Bengals move; signing a player a couple years after their prime.

Terrible in coverage - good TE's abuse him. And in the last couple seasons, he's missed tackles because he tries to make the big hit and doesn't wrap up.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Terrible in coverage - good TE's abuse him. And in the last couple seasons, he's missed tackles because he tries to make the big hit and doesn't wrap up.
    Why do you think he's always horse collaring people? Either he's gotten beat on a pass play or missed a tackle on a run play and he's having to chase people from behind. He became just like Anthony Henry, a player who got a fat contract and became lazy and stopped working hard and doing the little things.

If they sign him, I hope they try to make a blitzing linebacker out of him, cause he can't cover Betty White.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I agree...sign him and move him to LB. Anything else is a waste of $$.

So the Bengals are near their cap room and have no money for the decimated offensive line, yet they have time to entertain thoughts of adding Roy Williams? Interesting.....
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Guy is constantly considered the most over rated player in football. I still remember Matt Schobel running away from Williams for a TD. His legend will forever be the qb sack/safety of Chris Sims in the OU UT game. One of the all time highlights. Unfortunately for Williams he is more interested about highlights than every down plays.

I'm ok with signing him as long as 1. It is cheap and 2. He is willing to be flexible and move around if need be.

Chris Crocker isn't a long term answer at safety and the jury is still out on Ndukwe. Could be worse...
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    So the Bengals are near their cap room and have no money for the decimated offensive line, yet they have time to entertain thoughts of adding Roy Williams? Interesting.....
    Definition of a Bengals move

Well I think some of his coverage issues can be attributed to some injuries that he tried to play a bit through.

It wasn`t that long ago that Williams was considered one of the better safties in the league, and he`s still young enough to rebound if his health issues are completely cleared up.

This team isn`t exactly set at saftey. Instead, it`s another position filled with decent back-ups and potential starters. Can he be had cheap, and considering who our defensive coordinator is, this may be a pretty good risk reward type of move.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    This team isn`t exactly set at saftey. Instead, it`s another position filled with decent back-ups and potential starters. Can he be had cheap, and considering who our defensive coordinator is, this may be a pretty good risk reward type of move.
    Very true. He is a good tackler. A lot of strong safeties are tackle-first type guys, anyway.

Might catch some rebound action if he's trying to resurrect his career.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

Quote Originally Posted by JBChance View Post
    Very true. He is a good tackler. A lot of strong safeties are tackle-first type guys, anyway.

Might catch some rebound action if he's trying to resurrect his career.
    Thing is, he's not a great tackler. He is a big hitter, but doesn't wrap up.

Opposing offensive coordinators would constantly expose him by getting him matched on tight ends. He has little to no coverage skills left. The Cowboys were forced on many occasions to drop DeMarcus Ware into coverage against TEs.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This would remind me of the Dexter Jackson signing if they bring him in.

Turn Off Ads?