Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Brayan Pena

Re: Reds sign Brayan Pena

BP + Hanigan for Melky Cabrera, Brett Cecil, and Maicer Izturis? I think it'd be a good deal if the Reds can land Omar Infante in free agency.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Interesting. Shame to put Hanigan out to pasture because he's quite the receiver and a hell of a Red, but the bat just totally fell off a cliff.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

4. Likes:

Slyder (11-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Sounds like there will likely be the same impact, however.
    I disagree. To me, this implies more moves are on the horizon. Going to withhold judgment on the impact until we can really understand the implications of this pickup relative to the off-season in general.

The Reds are not going to carry 3 MLB catchers next year.

Pena hits solidly from the left side of the plate. Last year Mesoraco was horrendous against right handed pitchers. I think this is a solid pickup, and definitely do not see it as having no effect on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Pena hits solidly from the left side of the plate. Last year Mesoraco was horrendous against right handed pitchers. I think this is a solid pickup, and definitely do not see it as having no effect on the team.
    Mesoraco against LHP in 2013: .321/.386/.487.

Pena against RHP in 2013: .325/.346/.455.

EDIT: For fun: Joe Mauer in 2013: .324/.404/.476

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-08-2013),Redeyecat (11-08-2013),reds1869 (11-08-2013),RedTeamGo! (11-08-2013),Tom Servo (11-08-2013)

I appreciate getting rid of the stupid personal catcher assignments, if this is what is being signaled. Playing the matchups will help the pitchers more through run production, than hoping guys get along with their battery mate.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

10. Likes:

757690 (11-08-2013),AtomicDumpling (11-08-2013)

I expect Pena will replace Hanigan and partner with Mesoraco. I expect Pena will see a lot of action against righties. I expect Hanigan to be traded or non-tendered.

With all respect to Hanigan, or whomever leaves, this is precisely the kind of move the Reds should be making. This is the correct formula. Mid-level free agents and role players who can fill out the lineup with solid production.

Catcher, offensively, was just a disaster for the Reds last season. If Mes and Pena share the position the offense is likely upgraded without superstar money.

My hope is that the Reds upgrade a couple of other positions in this way. Plus maybe one major addition on offense to replace Choo (or signing Choo himself).

Very hopeful move IMO.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-08-2013 at 01:32 PM.

12. Likes:

membengal (11-08-2013),Mitri (11-08-2013),Old school 1983 (11-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    The Reds have officially made more moves today than they did at the All-Star break.
    As I understand, this is the first major league addition to the club since February. And it's a good one, hope it works out well.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/switc...igan-for-pena/

The Reds, of course, probably will try to trade Hanigan now, and given his skills, he does have some value. In fact, given his place as a sabermetric poster boy, it would not be at all surprising to see nearly the entirety of the American League East competing to acquire his services. The Rays, Blue Jays, Red Sox, and Yankees are all looking for a catcher this winter, and Hanigan’s skillset is tailor made for a team that emphasizes walks and values defense from the position. Toss in the Phillies (if Carlos Ruiz leaves) and a host of other teams who could use at least a part-time catcher, and Hanigan is likely to be in heavy demand.

Perhaps this was the plan all along. Maybe the Reds anticipated that Hanigan would incite a mini-bidding war among the nerdy teams, and they’ll use him to upgrade another hole of their roster that Mesoraco couldn’t fill. That would actually make sense. If they’re just dumping Hanigan because they think Brayan Pena is better, well, that’s weird.

15. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (11-08-2013),Gallen5862 (11-08-2013),Redeyecat (11-08-2013),REDREAD (11-08-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (11-09-2013),Tom Servo (11-08-2013),wlf WV (11-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I wonder if Mez had enough trouble with Chapman that because Chapman could enter any game it held Mez back. Wouldn't surprise me if that was a factor.
    My memory seemed to be that Mez caught Chapman well.

Seems like Chapman would be an easy guy to call the game for.
    See if Chapman has the slider working. If not 100% fastballs.
    Both Mez and Hannigan seemed to play it that way.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Wow, Rays fans are in love with Ryan Hanigan over at SB Nation...They are talking about trading Price for him and a package.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin88 View Post
    Mesoraco against LHP in 2013: .321/.386/.487.

Pena against RHP in 2013: .325/.346/.455.

EDIT: For fun: Joe Mauer in 2013: .324/.404/.476

But Pena's splits the last 3 seasons combined vs RHP

.261/.293/.363

Wow, Rays fans are in love with Ryan Hanigan over at SB Nation...They are talking about trading Price for him and a package.
    Let's let them think that's a good trade.

I laughed at the poster who suggested Price for Hanigan straight up-nice that Rays fans have a sense of humor. The one that suggested Hanigan for Wesley Wright and a B/C prospect-that seemed reasonable.

21. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-08-2013)

If I am Walt and the Rays contact me about Hanigan, the conversation begins and ends with Matt Joyce.

Turn Off Ads?