Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pirate announcer rants on Reds pitchers........

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Pirate announcer rants on Reds pitchers........

Wait, Mike Leake intimidates the Pirates?

Two of the the Reds SP's are the most comfortable outs in the league.

Pirates are playing head games with themselves. That can't end well for them.

2. Likes:

Big Klu (06-18-2013),REDREAD (06-18-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

And folks, we have the double-triple post!

EDIT: Actually, muethibp had a quadruple post, making it a double-triple-plus-one!

Last edited by Redsfan320; 06-18-2013 at 09:50 AM.
    I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

5. Likes:

Always Red (06-18-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    And folks, we have the double-triple post!

That's a rarity, i should go buy a lotto ticket!

Man, I've never had a double-triple post. Seven years on here and all I can ever get are garden variety doubles. *Sigh*

8. Likes:

JB12 (06-18-2013)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I hope Chapman's first wild pitch tonight ends up in the Pirates broadcast booth.

10. Likes:

Chip R (06-18-2013),cumberlandreds (06-18-2013),RichRed (06-18-2013),TSJ55 (06-18-2013)

I hope the Reds PR staff are being proactive on this and put in the game notes they give the media the stats about HBPs. Of course the Reds may want to cultivate the badass image.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

What would happen if Chapman came in to warmup and started throwing his warm ups 8 or 10 feet to the sides of the plate, with maybe 1 or 2 of them right over the plate by about 15 feet?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Must have been Bob Walk. He's an idiot and usually goes over the top on most anything. Oh well when you are not used to winning you think everyone is out to get you.
    It was actually someone else. Don't know the guys name, but he has kind of an annoying high pitched voice. It was really funny hearing his high pitched rant, kind of like hearing Micky Mouse saying "THERE WILL BE BLOOD! THERE WILL BE BLOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    What would happen if Chapman came in to warmup and started throwing his warm ups 8 or 10 feet to the sides of the plate, with maybe 1 or 2 of them right over the plate by about 15 feet?
    Because of Chapman's lack of consistent control, I would prefer he used most of his warmups to throw strikes. Of course, I wouldn't mind seeing him "hit the Bull" every so often.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I guess the Pirates announcer didn't notice that Chapman had more than one pitch end up at the backstop during this outing.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    It was actually someone else. Don't know the guys name, but he has kind of an annoying high pitched voice. It was really funny hearing his high pitched rant, kind of like hearing Micky Mouse saying "THERE WILL BE BLOOD! THERE WILL BE BLOOD!
    I try to be as objective as possible on these things. I'm a Pirates' fan, but I really do strive to be objective.

First, it was either Greg Brown or John Wehner. Walk only calls home games.

Second, I checked the stats, and you guys are right. We've hit the Reds eight times this year. Reds have hit us six. I have to admit that I didn't know that. It's easy to get caught up in homerism and only rememebr the times you've been hit, had a call go against you, etc. The reality is that bad calls tend to even out, we just don't notice them when they go in favor of our team. And, it's easy to foget the times your guys have been doing the plunking.

Now, as it relates to this particular situation. I don't think Leake hit McCutchen intentionally. As was noted last night, why would he in that spot? The count wasn't right, close game, important game. It wasn't intentional. Neither was Chapman's pitch to Walker, I don't think. I think the issue there obviously stems back to last year and a similar pitch, in a similar spot to two good players.

As I was commenting on the game last night in the Game Thread, I think I let my emotions get the better of me, and stopped looking at things objectively, which I always try to do. No harm, no foul. I hope both teams can move on and have a good rest of the series.

17. Likes:

Donder (06-18-2013),lollipopcurve (06-18-2013),mth123 (06-18-2013),oneupper (06-18-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (06-18-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (06-18-2013)

Of course the Reds may want to cultivate the badass image.
    I think Chapman is doing a plenty good job of that himself. He'll hit guys, he'll throw balls over the umpire to the backstop, upper 90s, and then walk toward the plate like, "here I am." It's about as badass as you can get in baseball.

When you throw 100 and a dude's dome (intentional or not), that's going to ruffle some feathers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    When you throw 100 and a dude's dome (intentional or not), that's going to ruffle some feathers.
    The pitch did it's job. Sent the hitter flailing on the very next pitch which turned out to be strike three. Very similar to Randy Johnson vs. John Kruk in the All-Star Game.

Quote Originally Posted by IABucFan View Post
    I try to be as objective as possible on these things. I'm a Pirates' fan, but I really do strive to be objective.

First, it was either Greg Brown or John Wehner. Walk only calls home games.

Second, I checked the stats, and you guys are right. We've hit the Reds eight times this year. Reds have hit us six. I have to admit that I didn't know that. It's easy to get caught up in homerism and only rememebr the times you've been hit, had a call go against you, etc. The reality is that bad calls tend to even out, we just don't notice them when they go in favor of our team. And, it's easy to foget the times your guys have been doing the plunking.

Now, as it relates to this particular situation. I don't think Leake hit McCutchen intentionally. As was noted last night, why would he in that spot? The count wasn't right, close game, important game. It wasn't intentional. Neither was Chapman's pitch to Walker, I don't think. I think the issue there obviously stems back to last year and a similar pitch, in a similar spot to two good players.

As I was commenting on the game last night in the Game Thread, I think I let my emotions get the better of me, and stopped looking at things objectively, which I always try to do. No harm, no foul. I hope both teams can move on and have a good rest of the series.
    And one of those 8 is what kept Phillips out for several games which is why Reds fans won't forget. I don't think Leake's was intentional and I don't see this being a big deal on either side.

Chapman though... well he conveniently loses control to scare guys pretty regularly these days. I have to say I can't blame the Pirates if they got upset about that one.

Turn Off Ads?