Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Didi Gregorius

Re: Didi Gregorius

I am not saying Clev would have taken any other offer, I am saying I would have rather traded Heisey, Hamilton and Cozart BEFORE I would have let Gregorius go, like Doug mentioned, the Reds lost 6 years of Didi for 1 year of Choo, that hurts a small market team. I LOVE CHOO, I just wish we still had Didi as well.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Swagger View Post
    I am not saying Clev would have taken any other offer, I am saying I would have rather traded Heisey, Hamilton and Cozart BEFORE I would have let Gregorius go, like Doug mentioned, the Reds lost 6 years of Didi for 1 year of Choo, that hurts a small market team. I LOVE CHOO, I just wish we still had Didi as well.
    I would have rather they not traded anyone and Cleveland just gave Choo to the Reds. I would rather not have either Heisey or Stubbs.
    Cozart was not want AZ wanted and Hamilton is not going to be given up for a 1 year possible rental. It would have been for someone, like Latos, who is club controlled for another 3-4 years or someone they could have an easier time re-signing like Marshall.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    For this season, absolutely. It is a lot more complicated than that of course. We traded 6 full years of Gregorius for 1 year of Choo along with whatever Stubbs has.

I am not saying I wouldn't do the deal again, but it isn't just as simple as your post makes it.
    Plus exclusive negotiating rights, which is absolutely not something to overlook.

No it isn't because they could have signed Choo after this season if they never traded for him. The Reds traded for one year of him.
    If the Reds are able to re-sign Choo, it will be in large part because he will have gained a familiarity with and fondness for the organization. Basic human nature. And it would be classic Jocketty. Having Choo for a year prior to his free agency gives the Reds a far, far better chance of getting him long-term.

6. Likes:

bigredmechanism (05-06-2013),Boss-Hog (05-07-2013),HokieRed (05-06-2013),Redeyecat (05-06-2013),redsrule2500 (05-06-2013),remdog (06-08-2013),RichRed (05-06-2013)

If Choo helps the Reds to a World Series then he is well worth it. Even if he is in Cincy for just one season. If the Reds fail to make the playoffs and Choo moves on then you can seriously question the move. Right now it looks really good because Choo has been everything and more of what he was billed.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    If Choo helps the Reds to a World Series then he is well worth it. Even if he is in Cincy for just one season. If the Reds fail to make the playoffs and Choo moves on then you can seriously question the move. Right now it looks really good because Choo has been everything and more of what he was billed.
    I don't agree with this logic. If this transaction doesn't allow the Reds to get to the WS in 2013, and Choo moves on to another team in 2014, we can't blame the lack of a WS victory on this transaction alone. There are a million other variables which come into play, namely injuries, that could prohibit our team to make the WS, let alone the playoffs. The 2012 Reds were extremely fortunate when it came to injuries with only Votto being the big knock. So far this year we've lost the following:

- Ludwick indefinitely
    - Cueto for 4-8 weeks (likely)
    - Marshall for a brief time
    - Heisey for 2-3 weeks
    - Hanigan for 2-3 weeks

Those are key players to our 2013 ball club and I fail to see how if the Reds don't make the playoffs/WS this year that you can pin that on the Choo trade. Hindsight is 20/20, but Jocketty went out and addressed the Reds' largest deficiency with arguably the best possible option available. I will never look back and regret this deal, assuming Choo comes close to producing at the level he is currently. Now, if Choo was hitting .240 with a .270 OBP, that'd be an entirely different scenario and one where I believe it'd be fair to criticize the transaction.

-Matt

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-06-2013)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Probably a little early to predict All-Star appearances for the next decade.
    I heard Didi and Zach Stewart are good friends.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    To be fair, Billy Hamilton didn't start slow in Billings, Bakersfield or Pensacola.
    I think what's interesting is that fans everywhere (including yours truly) forget that these players aren't just numbers on a sheet somewhere. They're human beings, prone to the same emotional reactions to situations that we all are. Maybe Hamilton is intimidated at the moment, maybe he's pressing himself too hard to succeed, maybe he's working on things at AAA that will help him be a better major league player, maybe he broke up with his girlfriend, or a close family member died. Anything like that would affect the day to day performance of any one of us for awhile.

That said, I still would send Hamilton off in the right deal. But I've been saying that for 2 years now.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Choo will bring a comp pick back too, so that's something.

Didi is off to a nice start, but so was Cozart in his first few weeks of his MLB career. Once there is enough tape on Didi, he'll be somewhere around a .700 ops bat with a good glove.

13. Likes:

jmcclain19 (06-12-2013),Mitri (05-06-2013),REDREAD (05-06-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (05-06-2013),TOBTTReds (05-06-2013)

A lot of good points made in this thread. The important ones to remember:

- It's not like Kevin Towers just wanted any SS, and we had a choice. It's pretty clear he wanted Didi or no trade.

- We got Choo for Didi

- Those saying we got Choo for only one year, with the chance to re-sign him: The odds of him re-signing are 10 times better now that he has played here and likes it here than if he was going to be a FA after '13 with the Indians. That has to factor in.

- If he walks at the end of the year, we get a 1st round comp pick most likely.

My only point, I don't think Didi will be a very good hitting ML'er. I think he'll be somewhat similar to Cozart in the end actually. It's cool he has come out on fire though.

15. Likes:

REDREAD (05-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I heard Didi and Zach Stewart are good friends.
    gosh that hasn't gotten old at all... and it has only been three years.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

17. Likes:

bigredmechanism (05-06-2013),Redeyecat (05-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    A lot of good points made in this thread. The important ones to remember:

- It's not like Kevin Towers just wanted any SS, and we had a choice. It's pretty clear he wanted Didi or no trade.

- We got Choo for Didi

- Those saying we got Choo for only one year, with the chance to re-sign him: The odds of him re-signing are 10 times better now that he has played here and likes it here than if he was going to be a FA after '13 with the Indians. That has to factor in.

- If he walks at the end of the year, we get a 1st round comp pick most likely.

My only point, I don't think Didi will be a very good hitting ML'er. I think he'll be somewhat similar to Cozart in the end actually. It's cool he has come out on fire though.
    Excellent points. With regards to how Didi has started out, I'd ask does anyone remember how Cozart started out? Small sample size.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Swagger View Post
    I would have rather traded Corky Miller BEFORE I would have let Gregorious go. Doesn't mean it is realistic.

Hamilton will heat up and Didi will cool off. No one on this board, the entire board, said they would rather trade Hamilton instead of Didi. It has been one month and change of games. Lets at least wait until the all-star break to look at this.

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    Excellent points. With regards to how Didi has started out, I'd ask does anyone remember how Cozart started out? Small sample size.
    One difference is that Cozart became a major league regular at age 26, Didi looks like he's going to do so at 23.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    gosh that hasn't gotten old at all... and it has only been three years.
    Not only that, but it weirdly misses the mark. Doug has been a fairly lone voice arguing for Gregorius' upside and that the Reds gave more than people realize in this deal. At the least, the first few weeks of his MLB start have been on that side of the ledger.

22. Likes:

Always Red (05-06-2013)

Turn Off Ads?