Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dumatrait to be promoted... or not

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: trade...

Quote Originally Posted by baseballguy View Post
    Both Gosling and Ramirez have had a chance...Phil is yet to have one.
    And outside of his last 2 games, Elizardo Ramirez was more than successful in a Reds uniform last year. He has an ERA under 4.50 going into his last two games for the Reds before Narron pulled one of the dumbest moves I have ever seen in my life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dumatrait to be promoted

I'm not sure Dumatrait's AAA performance really indicates how he will do in future years. He had surgery, only a couple of years back, may need more time. I know his age, but after injury it takes time.

It may not be with this organization, but in a year or two I wouldn't be surprised to see Dumatrait pitching well either as a back end starter or middle reliever in the major leagues. I watched him pitch in spring training a couple years ago, and his fastball does have some pop.
    I don't think he is quite the slow tosser some indicate.

The key for Dumatrait will be avoiding the high walk totals. If he continues to walk too many, then he will have real trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by baseballguy View Post
    Both Gosling and Ramirez have had a chance...Phil is yet to have one.
    This isn't Little League, not everyone gets to play. Gosling and Ramirez have had chances because they're better pitchers.

Actually, slot Saarloos in ahead of Dumatrait too. Nope, he's not a good pitcher, but I'll take him over Dumatrait.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Livingston is starting tomorrow..

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Narron View Post
    I tried getting Dumatrait up here earlier, but as usual Wayne never listened to me.

Why aren't you standing in the unemployment line?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

uoduck1017

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He has an ERA under 4.50 going into his last two games for the Reds before Narron pulled one of the dumbest moves I have ever seen in my life.
    Jerry, how would you like to respond to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'm not sure Dumatrait's AAA performance really indicates how he will do in future years. He had surgery, only a couple of years back, may need more time. I know his age, but after injury it takes time.

It may not be with this organization, but in a year or two I wouldn't be surprised to see Dumatrait pitching well either as a back end starter or middle reliever in the major leagues. I watched him pitch in spring training a couple years ago, and his fastball does have some pop.
    I don't think he is quite the slow tosser some indicate.

The key for Dumatrait will be avoiding the high walk totals. If he continues to walk too many, then he will have real trouble.
    Walks too many, doesn't miss a ton of bats, and gives up hits. He's 26. I'd much rather see Elizardo Ramirez.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I'm all for giving Dumatrait a chance. But I'd put him in the bullpen first.

I think the only reason the Reds aren't doing that now is that Phil's been starting in AAA and Mike Gosling is pitching out of the 'pen.

Good lord, this team needs someone--anyone--to make some kind of quantum leap talent-wise next season. It is just tumbleweeds in the Reds' minors vis. pitching.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

He could be a decent bullpenner, but as a starter it will be difficult to watch.

I'm not optimistic about him as a starter, but I definitely think he deserves a shot. Reports have indicated he has a decent fastball and a good curve. Let's see what he's got. We already know what EZ and Gosling bring. In a lost season, it makes sense to evaluate guys on the cusp, and they need to get a grade on Dumatrait.

thorn

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Good lord, this team needs someone--anyone--to make some kind of quantum leap talent-wise next season. It is just tumbleweeds in the Reds' minors vis. pitching.
    I think it tells you just how BAD the rotation will be next year and how god awful bad it would be if we traded Arroyo. We better hope someone falls into our lap or we will overpay again for an average pitcher. Going in with Bailey, Besile and whom ever you wish as the 5th starter (Gosling, Levingston, etc) just won't cut it for me.

I get the feeling that KeyMastur has previously been banned from RedsZone and is here to troll.

Give the kid a shot, if he comes up and surprises some folks great. If not have Wayne warm up the shuttle back to AAA, it's not like the playoffs are on the line here. We need to find out what we have in some of these kids that are in our system.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    I think it tells you just how BAD the rotation will be next year and how god awful bad it would be if we traded Arroyo. We better hope someone falls into our lap or we will overpay again for an average pitcher. Going in with Bailey, Besile and whom ever you wish as the 5th starter (Gosling, Levingston, etc) just won't cut it for me.
    Not if your rebuilding the rotation. You should expect it to be poor and yes, the shuttle from Louisville and Cincy will be going non-stop. Everybody from Bailey to Cueto to Mahoney to Fisher will be driving I-71.

Turn Off Ads?