Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade rumor thread

Re: Trade rumor thread

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    How many teams have a better 2nd lefty out of the pen than Parra?
    Not many.

Assuming Marshall is healthy, Parra is the best 2nd lefty the Reds have had out of the pen in a long time. (I'm considering Randy Myers the closer, much like Chapman, so Charlton was the 1st lefty, like Marshall)

In fact, I can't remember a situation where the Reds had 2 non-closer lefties as good as Marshall/Parra. It's probably happened, I just can't recall.
    2008 had Bill Bray and Jeremy Affeldt.

2009 Herrera and Rhodes were pretty darn good too.

2010 Rhodes and Chapman

2011 Chapman and Bray

It's been a strength since 2008.
    Last edited by TRF; 10-10-2013 at 03:15 PM.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Volquez....with Price, in the bullpen, would be very interesting.
    Absolutely, sign me up for that.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hubba View Post
    How much is Parra asking for anyway?
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-14-2013)

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Ondrusek is the only one of those guys mentioned who is a middle reliever. And any argument that rests on Ondrusek being a good signing has lost before it even started.
    I guess if Chapman, Rhodes, and Coco don't count because they aren't middle relievers, then Marshall and Broxton shouldn't count either?
    I don't understand the logic here.. no offense.

Logan makes a little over 1 million/year. He ate 55 innings and had a K/9 ratio of 8.7 this year. That's better than the typical scrap heap pickup, at about the same cost. It's a success, IMO. Was Logan a difference maker? Of course not, but not a bad signing. Good depth move.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I guess if Chapman, Rhodes, and Coco don't count because they aren't middle relievers, then Marshall and Broxton shouldn't count either?
    I don't understand the logic here.. no offense.

Logan makes a little over 1 million/year. He ate 55 innings and had a K/9 ratio of 8.7 this year. That's better than the typical scrap heap pickup, at about the same cost. It's a success, IMO. Was Logan a difference maker? Of course not, but not a bad signing. Good depth move.
    I don't count Marshall or Broxton.

And the Reds could have gotten a 4 ERA guy off the scrap heap pretty easily.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'll take the next, cheaper guy every time. Don't be afraid to dive back into that dumpster. Foraging for relievers works and the Reds are good at it.

I'm not picking on Mth123 here, but in the "Reds resign Logan" thread, I asked..
    Who would be better than Logan at the same price? (The same argument could be made for Parra)
    Here was the list he gave me..
    Let's see how they did compared to Logan and Parra.

Logan: got 2 years, 2.3 million, 55 IP 8.7 K/9 IP, Whip 1.255, 1.3 HR/9 IP
    Parra: got 1 year, 1 million, 46 IP, 11k/9 IP, whip 1.19, 1.0 HR/9 IP

mth's list:
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...t=RaUCH&page=2

Jon Rauch, got 1 year, $1 million. 16 IP of 7.56 ERA ball. Worse than Logan.

Kyle Farnsworth, got 1 year, 1.25 million, 48 IP, 6.6 k/IP, 1.393 Whip, 1.2 HR/9 IP. So this guy
    is a pretty good comp to Logan, both in performance and 2013 salary.

Juan Carlos Oviedo (RH): Got 1 year, 490k, 64 IP, whip 1.21, 7.7 K/IP, 1.1 HR/9. Again, I would say
    this guy is pretty close to Logan. A little less K/9 though. So I guess this move could've saved the Reds about 1/2 million.

K-Rod, 22 IP, 11.5 K/9, whip 1.36, HR/9 2.0, No salary info on baseball reference.. Not sure if he got hurt or what? I'm going to say that Logan was better though, maybe someone in the know can tell me though..

Brian Wilson, lost year for him, worse than Logan. Limited sample size, but he looked horrible when I saw him.

Matt Capps, Looks like he did not play this year, although he's listed as a Twin.

Brandon Lyon, 1 year, 750k, 34IP, k/9 = 6, hr/9 = .8, WHip = 1.63.. I think Logan had a better season.

Rafael Perez, only 7.2 IP, I guess he got hurt..Salary listed at 2 million

Manny Parra, I would say he was a good comp to our Parra

Pedro Feliciano, 11 IP. no salary, but worse than Logan in small sample of performance

Matt Lindstrom, 1 year, 2.8 million, 60.2 IP, 6.8 K/9, WHIP 1.434, .3 HR/9IP.. Now this is a guy that has a edge over Logan due to being stingy with the HR ball. Was he a better sign than Parra? Well, Lindstrom's numbers were better,but he's a RH pitcher. That said, this was a good pick. Although I will point out that he made more money than Parra and Logan combined.. I would've rather had him than Logan, but he wasn't necessarily a cheap signing.

So, When I asked the question: Who would be better than Logan, I got a list of 11 names which included Parra.Two of them (Lindstrom and Parra) were better than Logan although Lindstrom was not cheap. Two more guys (Farnsworth and Oviedo) were comparable to Logan in performance. Farnsworth cost about the same as Logan. Oveido was cheaper.

AGain, the entire point of this exercise was to see whether dumpster diving is really that profitable.
    Given the entire pool of FA pitchers, 11 were picked. 2 better than Logan, 2 about the same as Logan, 7 were worse or hurt.

When you go through this exercise, why bother to churn the roster if you have guys like Logan and Parra that want to come back
    at a reasonable price. Price only has so much time.. Do you want him to spend his time with guys like Lecure and Hoover or do
    you want to burden him with 2-3 noobs every year? It just doesn't seem worth it to churn things up, given the results

Now if someone wants to make a list for relievers the Reds should sign this year instead of Parra, please, be my guest.It will be intresting to evaluate after 2014 is over.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    What do the Tigers need? Sherzer for one year would cost less than extending Bronson a qualifying offer.

Scherzer earned just $6.725MM in 2013, but MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz projects an increase to a whopping $13.6MM in 2014 following his dominant campaign.
    I know it is a long shot at best, but he could provide a better stop gap for one year before Stephenson is ready. I think it would definitely be a doable option if Bronson and Choo both leave in FA.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

In my opinion you are better off going with young farm system arms than "dumpster diving" for bullpen help. For example, I would rather see Lorenzen and Rogers over Farnsworth and and Oviedo on the Reds next season.

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    What do the Tigers need? Sherzer for one year would cost less than extending Bronson a qualifying offer.

I know it is a long shot at best, but he could provide a better stop gap for one year before Stephenson is ready. I think it would definitely be a doable option if Bronson and Choo both leave in FA.
    In my ignorant opinion the Tigers would ask for Winker and SMB.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    2008 had Bill Bray and Jeremy Affeldt.

2009 Herrera and Rhodes were pretty darn good too.

2010 Rhodes and Chapman

2011 Chapman and Bray

It's been a strength since 2008.

Bray only had one good year, 2011. I think that was the only year he was healthy enough to pitch all year. Herrera was awful.
    I wasn't counting Chapman as he was the closer..although I guess you are right, he could be counted in 2010.

Affeldt, Rhodes, 2011 Bray , Chapman.. that's it.

Chapman, healthy Marshall, and Parra .. that's a much stronger LH bullpen, which is really needed if we want to neutralize the Cards next year.
    In fact, signing Parra is worth it just for that.. the series vs the Cards.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Randall Simon smacked the sausage.
    Hey pal, we keep it rated-PG around these parts.

Well, let me throw out my first slobber-knocker trade proposal of the offseason:

Homer Bailey, Brandon Phillips and Ryan Ludwick to the Colorado Rockies for Carlos Gonzalez, D.J. LeMathieu and pitcher Tyler Chatwood.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

16. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-11-2013),REDREAD (10-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Volquez....with Price, in the bullpen, would be very interesting.
    Far too wild to be an effective reliever, maybe to start an inning but would you really want him coming in and working out of a jam?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Well, let me throw out my first slobber-knocker trade proposal of the offseason:

Homer Bailey, Brandon Phillips and Ryan Ludwick to the Colorado Rockies for Carlos Gonzalez, D.J. LeMathieu and pitcher Tyler Chatwood.
    I'm the Reds?

Deal.

Turn Off Ads?