Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phillips is "gone" According to ML Executive...

Phillips is "gone" According to ML Executive...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Phillips is "gone" According to ML Executive...

As much as I'd like to see us have a big offseason, as in dumping salary and getting some great players to replace Choo and possibly Phillips, I'm trying not to get too excited just in case we don't do much haha.

But it is interesting what this person said. Is it just his opinion? Has he been told anything? Who knows. Very interesting though.

Because of the news that the Yankees inquired on him...

I'm not sure who we would want from them. They have a few interesting pitching prospects, but other than that, I don't know.

I just don't see Walt making any deal with Brandon included that won't involve getting something major in return, and then you have to question what might that be and what teams are able to take on the contract he has. Also have to look at the issue of fan reaction, like it or not, Brandon is loved by this community and to deal him away will be tough, and especially though if nothing of real value is gotten back. I would be shocked if Walt moves him....

Joba Chamberlain to take over Chapman's spot as closer?

I won't be shocked if he's moved. I think its inevitable. Just glad to see they are opening the asking price high.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Joba Chamberlain to take over Chapman's spot as closer?
    I'm not saying I wouldn't take a chance on him but I wouldn't count on him for any significant role in the bullpen. He hasn't been consistently good for nearly 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I'm not saying I wouldn't take a chance on him but I wouldn't count on him for any significant role in the bullpen. He hasn't been consistently good for nearly 5 years
    I was just throwing that out there. I think it is pretty obvious that the Reds have significant plans for J.J. Hoover. I think if Nick Masset would have been healthy last year he would have been the closer and Chapman would have been in the starting rotation. The Reds have the mindset they have to have a fireballing closer and all three fit the bill. Last year once Hoover gave up on trying to be a 4 pitch guy, he had a lot better results including setting the record for most consecutive innings pitched without giving up a run.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJ View Post
    Because of the news that the Yankees inquired on him...

I'm not sure who we would want from them. They have a few interesting pitching prospects, but other than that, I don't know.
    "Interesting trades considered?" Why I'd take screen legend Anthony Quinn's t-shirt for BP!

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    I was just throwing that out there. I think it is pretty obvious that the Reds have significant plans for J.J. Hoover. I think if Nick Masset would have been healthy last year he would have been the closer and Chapman would have been in the starting rotation. The Reds have the mindset they have to have a fireballing closer and all three fit the bill. Last year once Hoover gave up on trying to be a 4 pitch guy, he had a lot better results including setting the record for most consecutive innings pitched without giving up a run.
    I have to disagree on Masset. If Chapman was in the rotation, Broxton was closing. Otherwise, the money they gave him in the offseason was nothing short of absurd (I happen to think it was absurd anyway, but that's a different conversation).

Joba still throws hard, but something is not right with him. I don't know if he was fed up with the Yankees or if there is something physically going on or if the constant changing of roles just broke him down but he is no longer the unhittable guy we all saw on the big playoff stage.

Tweet from Bob Nightengale

BNightengale: One of the biggest trade chips at next week's GM meetings will be 2B Brandon Phillips, who appears to have played his final game for #Reds.

I will believe when I see it...right now all nothing but reporters board..

Johnny is in denial. Brandon is gone. There's just way too much smoke.

17. Likes:

RedlegJake (11-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Johnny is in denial. Brandon is gone. There's just way too much smoke.
    there can be all the smoke you want, Brandon isn't going anywhere unless Walt can pull of a steal. Like it or not, with his contract, there will be few suiters for Brandon, and Walt is not going to just give him away. Again let there be smoke, I have to see a deal to believe it and right now I don't see a deal happening unless Walt can find a sucker.

Turn Off Ads?