Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Average plummets, but Dunn plays on (9/30)

Average plummets, but Dunn plays on (9/30)

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Average plummets, but Dunn plays on
    BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

PITTSBURGH - For better or worse, Adam Dunn has had to stay in the lineup. It's been mostly worse.

"When (Ryan) Freel went out, he was going to play," Reds manager Jerry Narron said of Dunn.

Dunn carried his horrendous slump into Friday's game against the Pittsburgh Pirates.

He was batting .145 with two home runs and five RBI in September before getting two hits Friday.

Managers often use days off to help players out of skids. But the Reds don't have a lot of alternatives. Dunn doesn't know if rest would have helped.

"I feel great - physically," he said. "I probably am tired, but I don't feel it. I don't know the answer (to why I'm struggling)."

Dunn says he's tried adjusting his approach, his swing.

"That's probably why I stink," he said. "I feel like I've got to change everything. When I think too much, I get in trouble."

Dunn gives the impression he's a happy-go-lucky type.

He doesn't show much emotion, but this slump is eating him up.

"He's harder on himself than anyone," Ken Griffey Jr. said. "He cares. He's trying. He sits next to (hitting coach) Chris Chambliss the whole game. They're trying to figure it out."

Dunn's problems began in August.

He hit .353 with a .451 on-base percentage in July, then dropped to .185 and .284 in August.

The slide has continued in September, when the games have meant the most.

"I couldn't pick a worse time to suck," he said.

The good news for Dunn was the Reds have remained alive in the playoff race.

"I've got three more games to come out of it," he said before Friday's game.
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...609300369/1071
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Average plummets, but Dunn plays on (9/30)

A pathetic finish for him, for sure. Just pathetic!

We are eliminated now so he will probably hit 3 bombs tonight and 3 more sunday.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    We are eliminated now so he will probably hit 3 bombs tonight and 3 more sunday.
    OUCH!!
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    at least then he might get to 100 rbi's
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

and hopefully the Reds still finish .500 or above. A winning season is definitely a step in the right direction.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?