Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Outs as a currancy

Outs as a currancy

http://baseballmusings.com/

Good Stuff from baseballmusings - check out the spreadsheet

Yesterday, in a post about Jeff Francoeur, I brought up a simple method for examining the cost in outs of producing runs. I’ve posted a google spreadsheet of the results, the 163 players since 2005 with 2000 PA. It’s interesting to me that five of the top 30 spent time with the Red Sox during that period, Ramirez, Ortiz, Bay, Youkilis and Drew, and four with the Yankees (A-Rod, Giambi, Abreu and Matsui). These clubs value out efficient run production.

The list is also a nice view of the defensive spectrum, as the top is dominated by first basemen and designated hitter types, while the bottom is full of middle infielders and catchers. Feel free to download and play with the data.
    Original Post

http://baseballmusings.com/?p=47103

Outs are the currency of baseball. Players who can buy more runs per out, or conversely, spend fewer outs per run, are richer hitters. An easy way to look at this, something you can do off any stat sheet or the back of a baseball card, is to use batting outs per run, where I’m using Production to approximate runs (Runs Scored + RBI)/2. Batting outs are simply AB-Hits. So outs per run is (AB-hits)/((Runs Scored + RBI)/2). I like using production here because it deals with actual runs and RBI. Drew tends not to drive in as many runs as one might expect because he’s very willing to take a walk in RBI situations. Francoeur probably drives in more runs that one might expect because he puts the ball in play so often in RBI situations. So using production should be favorable to Francoeur.

Since 2005, Francoeur’s first season, 163 players accumulated at least 2000 plate appearances. Among those, Albert Pujols spends the fewest outs per run, 3.14. Jason Kendall spends the most, 7.34. J.D. Drew ranks 26th, a run costing him 4.12 outs. Francoeur ranks 107th, a run costing him 5.33 outs. In other words, it costs Francoeur 121 more outs than Drew to produce 100 runs. That’s four and a half games of outs.

Four and a half games of outs that his teammates don’t get to use. Four and a half games of lost opportunities to score. Somehow, that just doesn’t seem worth it to me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Outs as a currancy

Willy T ... 163 out of 164. Who would have guessed?

Francoeur ranks 107th, a run costing him 5.33 outs. In other words, it costs Francoeur 121 more outs than Drew to produce 100 runs. That’s four and a half games of outs.

Four and a half games of outs that his teammates don’t get to use. Four and a half games of lost opportunities to score. Somehow, that just doesn’t seem worth it to me.
    Obviously he don't get it, Francouer is a run producer.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Willy T ... 163 out of 164. Who would have guessed?
    wait, there was someone BELOW him?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    wait, there was someone BELOW him?
    Jason Kendall.

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Reds highlights:

60. Scott Rolen 4.71593
    77. Brandon Phillips 5.01775