Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: 4/8/2013 Reds at Cardinals

Re: 4/8/2013 Reds at Cardinals

Quote Originally Posted by ervinsm84 View Post
    That's just a dumb slide, isn't it? He actually had half a chance to get in before Molina would bend and tag him. Not sure I understand Chris' thinking there.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ervinsm84 View Post
    Whoa. When was this? That's a cheap play by Heisey IMO.

Is that from today's game? I missed the early innings. That's a bush-league play IMO. If you're intent is to take out the catcher...then freaking do it. But what the heck was THAT?
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 04-08-2013 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Thom said they were leaving like they were handing out bags of twenty dollar bills in the parking lot.
    There are times where we need to agree brilliance flows from the lips of a Brennaman.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Whoa. When was this? That's a cheap play by Heisey IMO.

Is that from today's game? I missed the early innings. That's a bush-league play IMO. If you're intent is to take out the catcher...then freaking do it. But what the heck was THAT?
    I think he was truly confused where the plate was (assumed Yadi was on it) but I could be swayed.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I think he was truly confused where the plate was (assumed Yadi was on it) but I could be swayed.
    I hope I'm wrong, but it looks to me like he could tell he was dead to rights so he decided to take a shot at Molina. Dirty if true.

That's what it looks like to me too. Such a really weird play.
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

I really didn't see Yadi covering the plate that much and it looks like he was trying to take Molina out. That said, I think most Cardinals fans will forget about it and move on. I don't think there will be any long lasting issues. There are far more things to worry about if you're a Cardinals fan than this play.

I hope I'm wrong, but it looks to me like he could tell he was dead to rights so he decided to take a shot at Molina. Dirty if true.
    It appeared the run was there for the taking. But yeah, a head scratcher.

Looking at it more closely, do you notice that he changes the angle of his run as Molina catches the ball? It's clear to me he tried to take Molina out when he realized he was going to be out.

There's nothing dirty about that play. He didn't have his cleats up in the air. He didn't try to injure Molina. He simply tried to slide right into Molina's legs. That's how it's actually taught.

Now, granted, he would have been better off trying to slide away from Molina in this case, but it was not a dirty play.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Garcia only at 80 pitches after 6 IP.

Probably easily goes 8 innings today.
    These days I have taken to skipping the game threads till the game is over. It is a LOT more fun and enjoyable without listening to every other Reds (zone) fan constantly criticizing whatever on the Reds is not succeeding at that exact moment.

Then after a huge comeback victory like today, it is so much fun reading all the predictions of doom and gloom posts in the game thread like the above.

This is not a jab at you matic... Just a comment about the practice.

13. Likes:

bigredmechanism (04-08-2013),cincyinco (04-09-2013)

It has been mentioned on here before that Heisey is not the most cerebral of a player. I do seem him make the angled turn towards Yadi. I'm mystified.

He was laughing in the dugout minutes afterward. But as Brutus said cleats were down and it wasn't a violent slide. I'm stumped.

It has been mentioned on here before that Heisey is not the most cerebral of a player. I do seem him make the angled turn towards Yadi. I'm mystified.

He was laughing in the dugout minutes afterward. But as Brutus said cleats were down and it wasn't a violent slide. I'm stumped.
    Is there such a thing as a clear attempt to take out a player without it being dirty? I think we see it all the time at 2B. As you and I have observed, he did change the angle of his run exactly as Molina caught it so it was clear he was trying to take out Yadi. I don't know if it was dirty though because of the lack of spikes.

This felt like late karmic payback for the Mother's Day massacre. I spent most of the 9th giggling.

17. Likes:

cincyinco (04-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Is there such a thing as a clear attempt to take out a player without it being dirty? I think we see it all the time at 2B. As you and I have observed, he did change the angle of his run exactly as Molina caught it so it was clear he was trying to take out Yadi. I don't know if it was dirty though because of the lack of spikes.
    To answer your first question sure. You impede the defender from making a throw.

To be dirty, Heisey would have to be attempting to harm Yadi. Does anyone see that? I don't.

Turn Off Ads?