Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Wild Card One Game Play-In

Wild Card One Game Play-In

After the last 2 starts by Wainwright, I wonder what would happen if we meet the Cardinals in a one game play-in.

I would think that if there is no chance to take the division then the Reds would rework the rotation to get Latos the start, but if we faced the Cardinals, do you think they would put Wainwright out there?

He is obviously their ace, but we have knocked him around in his last 2 starts. Who else would they put out there?
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wild Card One Game Play-In

Latos is scheduled to pitch last on the 24th barring any changes. He would be th clear starter for the Reds. I don't think the cardinals have any options that are better than Wainright even with his recent struggles. Their rotation is pretty weak and I bet they gamble their ace would come up big after two clunkers.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

4. Likes:

Sea Ray (09-03-2013)

They would use Wainwright or Shelby Miller. IIRC, last year they used Kyle Lohse in the 1 game playoffs vs the Braves when they had plenty of time to line up their rotation for Waino to pitch it. Unless Lohse was their clear #1 last year (I know he had good stats but don't remember if he was their best starter), there is precedence for them not lining up their ace.

Here's a question: Say the Cards have the division locked up by Sunday and the Bucs and Reds are tied. Both teams make the postseason but it's just a matter of the winner getting home field advantage. If Cedric is correct and Latos is scheduled to pitch last on the 24th, would you start him on that Sunday to get home field advantage for the playoff game?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Here's a question: Say the Cards have the division locked up by Sunday and the Bucs and Reds are tied. Both teams make the postseason but it's just a matter of the winner getting home field advantage. If Cedric is correct and Latos is scheduled to pitch last on the 24th, would you start him on that Sunday to get home field advantage for the playoff game?
    No.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

8. Likes:

Sea Ray (09-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime58 View Post
    They would use Wainwright or Shelby Miller. IIRC, last year they used Kyle Lohse in the 1 game playoffs vs the Braves when they had plenty of time to line up their rotation for Waino to pitch it. Unless Lohse was their clear #1 last year (I know he had good stats but don't remember if he was their best starter), there is precedence for them not lining up their ace.
    Lohse was their best starter and Wainwright had a very poor year for him. Wainwright turned it around in July/August but then had a somewhat poor September.

BTW...not sure people realize this or not, but the Reds have hit Wainwright pretty well throughout his career. Wainwright's career ERA vs. the Reds is 5.11 in 93 innings (so not a small sample size). Even before these last two games his ERA vs. the Reds was around 4. Oh, and he also struggles vs. the Pirates (5.11 ERA also, and that is in 111 innings).

Quote Originally Posted by redsfaninbsg View Post
    No.
    I agree with this, but I would add "oh dear God" in front of the no.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Latos is scheduled to pitch last on the 24th barring any changes. He would be th clear starter for the Reds. I don't think the cardinals have any options that are better than Wainright even with his recent struggles. Their rotation is pretty weak and I bet they gamble their ace would come up big after two clunkers.
    They would most ilkely put Wainwright up there, but their rotation is far from weak. Shelby Miller has been incredible, Lynn has been better than his ERA would let you think, and Wacha has been solid. I think I take the Reds rotation over theirs, but it's not as clear of an advantage as you might think.
    Just call me Legs

Good question, I'd be tempted to say yes if Bailey would be ready for the play-in game.
    Just call me Legs

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    Lohse was their best starter and Wainwright had a very poor year for him. Wainwright turned it around in July/August but then had a somewhat poor September.

BTW...not sure people realize this or not, but the Reds have hit Wainwright pretty well throughout his career. Wainwright's career ERA vs. the Reds is 5.11 in 93 innings (so not a small sample size). Even before these last two games his ERA vs. the Reds was around 4. Oh, and he also struggles vs. the Pirates (5.11 ERA also, and that is in 111 innings).
    Lohse really was the Cards best starter last year overall. He was the obvious WC game starter because of consistency, if he had an off night STL would've probably only been down by 3-4 runs instead of by 6-8.

This year really is a weird one, today I wouldn't mind seeing Joe Kelly starting the WC game if need be, he has been more consistant in the last month than AW, SM, LL has.

Bailey or Latos would work for CIN in the WC game, IMO it would be a coin flip with no real downside.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

The home field question is a difficult one for me. The Reds seem to fare better, offensively, in the Great American Bandbox, but I get really nervous whenever a good hitting team like the Cards roll in there. Part of me thinks our better chance would be in a bigger ballpark with our ace on the hill.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

15. Likes:

NCCardfan (09-03-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

You'd be starting him on short rest, so of course no.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    The home field question is a difficult one for me. The Reds seem to fare better, offensively, in the Great American Bandbox, but I get really nervous whenever a good hitting team like the Cards roll in there. Part of me thinks our better chance would be in a bigger ballpark with our ace on the hill.
    The Reds record, home and away, suggests otherwise.

18. Likes:

RedFanAlways1966 (09-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    You'd be starting him on short rest, so of course no.
    4 days rest is short rest?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?