Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who will win Superbowl XLIV?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Indianapolis Colts

22 81.48%
  • New Orleans Saints

5 18.52%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Superbowl XLIV: Indianapolis Colts vs. New Orleans Saints @ Sun Life Stadium

Re: Superbowl XLIV: Indianapolis Colts vs. New Orleans Saints @ Sun Life Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Hmmm... Interesting. Google up "second act rule" and evidently its as clear as mud. I guess the call was made and what is, is.

Fun read... http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...3&sportCat=nfl

Yes Roy that explains the rule very well and nowhere does it say that the rule is different depending on where the catch occured which was my point.

The article you posted is a good read. I suggest everyone read it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Superbowl XLIV: Indianapolis Colts vs. New Orleans Saints @ Sun Life Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Yes Roy that explains the rule very well and nowhere does it say that the rule is different depending on where the catch occured which was my point.

The article you posted is a good read. I suggest everyone read it.
    But could we ever hope to achieve your level of brilliance?

The Saints successful onside kick was obviously the game's key play and a gutsy call by coach Sean Payton. What I didn't know until reading the sports page in today's Wall Street Journal is that the surprise onside kick works nearly 60% of the time.
    While NFL teams have only been successful in recovering onside kicks in the fourth quarter 14.7% of the time (61 for 416) since 2000, during that same time period onside kicks in the first through third quarters, when it is more of a surprise, have succeeded 58.6% of the time (65 for 111).
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    The Saints successful onside kick was obviously the game's key play and a gutsy call by coach Sean Payton. What I didn't know until reading the sports page in today's Wall Street Journal is that the surprise onside kick works nearly 60% of the time.
    While NFL teams have only been successful in recovering onside kicks in the fourth quarter 14.7% of the time (61 for 416) since 2000, during that same time period onside kicks in the first through third quarters, when it is more of a surprise, have succeeded 58.6% of the time (65 for 111).
    Nice, I bet Sean Peyton knew that.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Someone needs to tell that to Marvin. Make the first kickoff of the season an onside kick.

Interesting stat. It really was a gutsy call and changed the game. Nice to see an NFL coach break the mold.

I think someone else mentioned it, but I'll chime in. I've never seen a pileup as intense as that one with the onsides kick. It looked like a pack of hyenas attacking a crippled antelope. If I were the ref, I'd carry a cattle prod to unpile them.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Seems to me like a more obscure stat. Over the course of 9 years it has only happened 111 times. The surprise element is what makes it successful, but if more teams start to do it the surprise will begin to fade. To me it is similar to a suicide squeeze situation. If you do it every time a runner is on 3b or half the time a runner is on 3b your success rate is likely to diminish. If you do it every once in a while you have the element of surprise on your side.

What I think Payton had to weight was the score percentages of giving Manning the ball on their 40 vs the Colts 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Interesting stat. It really was a gutsy call and changed the game. Nice to see an NFL coach break the mold.

I think someone else mentioned it, but I'll chime in. I've never seen a pileup as intense as that one with the onsides kick. It looked like a pack of hyenas attacking a crippled antelope. If I were the ref, I'd carry a cattle prod to unpile them.
    Only God knows how many times "possession" of the ball may have changed while everyone was under that pile.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

If Hank Baskett doesn't headbutt the ball, Sean Payton looks like a fool.

Turn Off Ads?