Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saturday night's "sellout" crowd

Saturday night's "sellout" crowd

Could somebody help me out on this? I was at the game last night when the crowd of 39,000+ was announced as a sellout. According to the team's website, GABP's seating capacity is 42,059.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Saturday night's "sellout" crowd

Yeah, this has happened before. I'm not quite sure why they claim that as a sellout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

that was the attendance, not the number of tickets sold. They prolly sold 42,000 tickets and had some people not show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon4MVP View Post
    that was the attendance, not the number of tickets sold. They prolly sold 42,000 tickets and had some people not show up.

They don't do that anymore. The actual attendance reported is tickets sold, not butts in the seats. Anyway, there was a huge walkup sale last night so there's no way they sold 42,000 tickets.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

It might not have been a sellout but didn't it seem odd to anyone that they are having this huge influx of walkup people in April. I have a theory why but I could be wrong. I think it is our new outfielder drawing them in.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    It might not have been a sellout but didn't it seem odd to anyone that they are having this huge influx of walkup people in April. I have a theory why but I could be wrong. I think it is our new outfielder drawing them in.

I think it's just the giveaways.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think it's just the giveaways.
    Did they have giveaways both nights? And why did we not have sellouts before at giveaways that weren't bobble head nights?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Brainstorm: I think the game was indeed a sellout. The capacity of the ballpark is 42,059. That's full capacity. That would include standing room only! That's my theory, anyway.

I have a theory why but I could be wrong. I think it is our new outfielder drawing them in.
    I think you may be onto something, at least in part. I was there on Friday night and the cheers he got were off the charts. People are following him, at least; casual fans are quite aware of him.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I was there last night. It was packed. The only empty seats I saw (save the scattered empties of people making beer runs) were the party areas in the left field corner.

I think it was *sold out* cause it was the first nice weekend night in a long time. Lot's of families and younger fans (well younger to me any way) there on dates.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I think you may be onto something, at least in part. I was there on Friday night and the cheers he got were off the charts. People are following him, at least; casual fans are quite aware of him.
    He was the recipient of the loudest cheers last night when his name was announced.
    That was quite obvious.

Did they have giveaways both nights? And why did we not have sellouts before at giveaways that weren't bobble head nights?

Friday night they gave out Ryan Freel shirts. Saturday, they gave out blankets. Today, more Freel T-Shirts.

I think it depends on the gimmick... I mean, promotion. You aren't going to get people out for Juan Castro Golden Hands night. But you get a popular player and/or a gimmick that is something nice and they will come out. As for Hamilton, I wish they were coming out for him but they didn't draw very well this week when he was playing so I think that theory doesn't hold much water.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

remember its tickets "sold" not the number of number fans in the seats. It doesn't include any free (or comp) tickets given away for any reason. any of the free or comp do not count into the number of tickets sold.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUredsFAN View Post
    remember its tickets "sold" not the number of number fans in the seats. It doesn't include any free (or comp) tickets given away for any reason. any of the free or comp do not count into the number of tickets sold.

Ah, I forgot about that. Good one. That said, that's about 3,000 comps. Quite a bit for one night.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Thom said last night that John Allen said it wasn't a sellout.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?