Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Indianapolis awarded 2012 Super Bowl

Indianapolis awarded 2012 Super Bowl

As a fellow Hoosier, this is great news. I live very close to Indy and downtown has dramatically changed in the last 20 years. The plans to continue to revamp the city seem great.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Indianapolis awarded 2012 Super Bowl

It's always funny to hear the media complain about when the SB is in a northern city or if they are in a southern city and the weather is bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Does anybody think Cincinnati will ever get a Super Bowl? I think that they won't, just because it's not a dome, and it's too cold that time of year.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Does anybody think Cincinnati will ever get a Super Bowl? I think that they won't, just because it's not a dome, and it's too cold that time of year.
    Considering that the NFL waited exactly 3 decades to schedule the Super Bowl in another cold-weather city, my guess is they don't plan to do it again for a while.
    /r/reds

Maybe next stadium, out of every 6 years it'll be in Florida 3 times and domes the other 3.
    Go Gators!

If it were just the weather, Indy would never have got it. Cincy is further south than Indy so it's more likely Cincy would get warmer weather.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

If they're going to schedule Super Bowls in cold weather cities, I say why not have it outdoors. Really the big selling point to having the Super Bowl in a fair weather city is that people can come for the whole week for the weather. Putting it in Indy makes it nice for the game, but you still have to deal with the weather otherwise. So if there, why not Cincinnati? They could have the NFL Experience at the convention center and, once they get the Banks Project built, they'll have a nice entertainment district by the Stadium. Plus, how cool would it be if they had a snow storm during the Super Bowl. The halftime show would be something else.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    If they're going to schedule Super Bowls in cold weather cities, I say why not have it outdoors. Really the big selling point to having the Super Bowl in a fair weather city is that people can come for the whole week for the weather. Putting it in Indy makes it nice for the game, but you still have to deal with the weather otherwise. So if there, why not Cincinnati? They could have the NFL Experience at the convention center and, once they get the Banks Project built, they'll have a nice entertainment district by the Stadium. Plus, how cool would it be if they had a snow storm during the Super Bowl. The halftime show would be something else.

I think the concept behind having it in a warm weather city is so the game won't be affected by the weather. People are paying big money for Super Bowl tickets and they aren't going to be pleased sitting in freezing weather for 5 hours. Plus having the Banks is not exactly a sure thing.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think the concept behind having it in a warm weather city is so the game won't be affected by the weather. People are paying big money for Super Bowl tickets and they aren't going to be pleased sitting in freezing weather for 5 hours. Plus having the Banks is not exactly a sure thing.
    I'll give you the Banks. Even though they've broken ground, there's still plenty of issues that can spring up to cause problems. However, I would say that weather usually makes for a better game rather. Some of the greatest, most memorable games have been played in inclement weather. Meanwhile, the Super Bowl has often suffered from boring games and interesting commercials. I think that people would still pay big money to go. Sure, some of the people who go to see and be seen might not enjoy it as much, but I guarantee you most people would rather be at an exciting, memorable game in bad weather than a boring game in nice weather. In fact I find football to be at its best when it's played in the middle of a snow storm.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

If it were just the weather, Indy would never have got it. Cincy is further south than Indy so it's more likely Cincy would get warmer weather.
    Indy regularly host big time events such as the Indy 500, Final Fours, Pan Am games and so on. I am happy the Super Bowl is coming but I worry about what the media will write about our great city when they have 2 weeks to spend here in late January/early Feburary.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

If the weather's nice, I may drive up and take in some of the festivities, even though I won't have tickets to the game. It has never been this close to Kentucky before.

AFC Championship game in Cincinnati one week and the Super Bowl in Indy two weeks later. It will be a memorable month.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Indy regularly host big time events such as the Indy 500, Final Fours, Pan Am games and so on. I am happy the Super Bowl is coming but I worry about what the media will write about our great city when they have 2 weeks to spend here in late January/early Feburary.
    The media was actually very respectful of Detroit and the weather was crappy, if I recall.

Indy is, by far, a much better looking city than Detroit and much fan-friendly. They announced today that they're going to renovate an IPS (Indianapolis Public School) by throwing 9 million into that project alone. I know they have plenty of other plans for downtown including a plan to create a "Super Bowl Village."

Indy will be very, very ready for the Super Bowl. They should've gotten in last year until Jerry Jones came in at the last second and threw money into the proposal. Everyone thought Indy's was the most impressive bid last year and this year's was even better.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    The media was actually very respectful of Detroit and the weather was crappy, if I recall.

Indy is, by far, a much better looking city than Detroit and much fan-friendly. They announced today that they're going to renovate an IPS (Indianapolis Public School) by throwing 9 million into that project alone. I know they have plenty of other plans for downtown including a plan to create a "Super Bowl Village."

Indy will be very, very ready for the Super Bowl. They should've gotten in last year until Jerry Jones came in at the last second and threw money into the proposal. Everyone thought Indy's was the most impressive bid last year and this year's was even better.
    I've been to Indy once for a wedding at the place downtown that was once the train station. Very nice. I think Indy will do a fine job hosting the Super Bowl. I actually think that places like Indy and Cincinnati, if Cincinnati gets the Banks Project complete, would be nice places for the Super Bowl because they have nice, compact downtown areas with convention space for the NFL experience and the possibility for creating an entertainment district downtown. Cleveland will always be a bad place for a Super Bowl, dome or no dome, because the prevailing winds off the lake make spending any more time than you have to downtown in the winter absolute torture. It's one thing to be cold, but Cleveland in February can be cold, wet and windy all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post

That's very true. They have a lot of experience at that sort of thing and Cincy doesn't.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

That's very true. They have a lot of experience at that sort of thing and Cincy doesn't.
    I dont know if you have ever been to our city but we are going to build a "super bowl village" and many walkways that will be indoors for the media so the weather will not be much of a problem. The city leaders are going to build a practice facility on the eastside of Indy for the NFC team and they are going to use it for revitilization of that community and let the public schools use it for games and practice. This is a great thing for our city and I for one am really looking forward to it and the benefits it will bring to our city. Its not IndiaNOplace anymore.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Turn Off Ads?