Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Mike McConnell leaving 700 WLW...

Re: Mike McConnell leaving 700 WLW...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/23/bu...er=rss&emc=rss

Tribune Company ousts Randy Michaels
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/23/bu...er=rss&emc=rss

Tribune Company ousts Randy Michaels
    Wow. That article does not reflect well on Randy Michaels nor WGN as a whole. Kind of makes you wonder whether McConnell made the right decision. His buddy is now gone and his employer is knee deep in chaos and bankruptcy. Under those conditions contracts can be terminated at any time. This will be interesting to follow

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I look at that picture of Michaels, read that he was involved in sexual chicanery and have come to the realization that all the hours in the gym have been a complete waste of time.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 10-23-2010 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I look at that picture of Michaels, read that he was involved in sexual chicanery and have come to the realization that all the hours in the gym have been a complete waste of time.
    You just now realized this? Alcohol and money, are great aphrodisiacs.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Not sure how long it will take but Mcconnell will be back at 700 at some point.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    Why do you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    Why do you say that?
    Just my feelings--nothing to base it on

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    He's got a 3 year deal in Chicago -- I don't see WGN paying him to take a walk unless the ratings are really awful. I expect he'll get some time to build an audience there.

As for WLW, they're a different organization now than they were 10 years ago. I don't know if they'd pay to bring Mike McConnell back when they can get Eric Deters or Scott Sloan to host the time for next to nothing (or, in the case of Deters, absolutely nothing). Willie squeezed them for money and guaranteed years on his deal because McConnell was leaving and the station couldn't afford to lose it's two biggest advertising draws. I don't know that the station would be quite as generous to bring McConnell back. After all, the whole reason he went to WGN was because he wasn't getting what he wanted from Clear Channel. If they wouldn't pay him as a current employee, I highly doubt they'll throw cash at him as a returning ex-employee.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I just gotta say one more time that they were incredibly stupid for letting Eddie Fingers go.
    I agreed with this statement until I read something that John Keiswetter (sp?) wrote on his blog comparring to when Chanel 5 (?) kept Jerry springer, but let the girl go that everyone liked in order to shake up their lead news team.

Everyone thought Jerry should have been let go, nobody liked thim or his reporting style, and John agreed until a business exec explained the reasoning, which kind of fits the Eddie/Tracy scenerio.

Basically, Eddie/(the girl on Ch5 that I can't remember) are your professional radio/TV people, and while you may like them, from a broadcast standpoint, they're easily replacable. Jerry/Tracy are your unique personalities that you just can't stand, but for some reason keep tuning into to see what's the next thing they're going to say that you can't stand. Basically Jerry/Tracy move the needle, while the Eddie type only catches the people that are going to listen anyways.

Kind of made sense to me.

Regarding Mike, from an outsider, it sure does seem like he made a mistake. perhaps he survives the shuffle, but it seems more likely that they whomever is the new guy taking over will find it easy to replace the guy who's only been there a year (I assume he signed a 1 year deal) while in Cincy he would have more security, a loyal listening base. He could have continued his weekend gig, etc....

Says above he signed a 3 year deal, I guess he's got time to figure things out or at worst, live pretty nice for the next couple of years with out having to do any work.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Regarding Mike, from an outsider, it sure does seem like he made a mistake.
    From what I know of the situation, the decision was pretty much made for Mike based on what was being offered (both in terms of dollars and years of guaranteed employment in the contract) by the respective companies.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

....and Mike McConnell has been removed from the WGN On-Air Lineup to doing a podcast for WGNRadio.com....wonder if maybe old Mikey could return to the TriState airwaves in the future???

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    ....and Mike McConnell has been removed from the WGN On-Air Lineup to doing a podcast for WGNRadio.com....wonder if maybe old Mikey could return to the TriState airwaves in the future???
    Sure sounds like a demotion to me. It'd be great to have him back here. His leaving was one of several events that led to a degrading of local talk radio

Tough break for Mike, but the writing was kind of on the wall as soon as Michaels left the company in disgrace.

I suspect there will be room for him somewhere in Cincinnati if he wants it, but I wouldn't blame him at all for not wanting to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Tough break for Mike, but the writing was kind of on the wall as soon as Michaels left the company in disgrace.

I suspect there will be room for him somewhere in Cincinnati if he wants it, but I wouldn't blame him at all for not wanting to come back.
    If the main reason he got the job was because of "who he knows" then he doesn't deserve to keep it. Despite the exit of Michaels, WGN folks had 3 yrs to hear Mike and study his ratings. If after all that they still decide to can him then I'll have to believe that his flavor doesn't go over well in the Windy City. Furthermore, I don't think he'd be any more popular anywhere than in Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If the main reason he got the job was because of "who he knows" then he doesn't deserve to keep it. Despite the exit of Michaels, WGN folks had 3 yrs to hear Mike and study his ratings. If after all that they still decide to can him then I'll have to believe that his flavor doesn't go over well in the Windy City. Furthermore, I don't think he'd be any more popular anywhere than in Cincinnati
    McConnell's hands were tied after Michaels left. He rarely discussed politics and the callers could call in with the most insane comments and Mike would rarely challenge them. It is almost like he was told by management at WGN to handle all callers no matter how insane with the upmost respect. It made for incredibly boring radio.

He has a very lucrative contract that will last 2 more years. I'm sure he will stick it out with the podcast till he finds something better.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?