Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Alejandro Chacin

Alejandro Chacin

Interesting numbers with AZL Reds. Right-handed batters are a combined 1 for 18 with 15 strikeouts against him. Overall, he has struck out 21 of the 30 batters he has faced and allowed only two hits. I am told he is a bit on the smallish side, average fastball, good enough command of the breaking ball that at that level, they just can hit him. Only 18. Interesting to see him progress.

Maybe they will give him a start or two to see how he does. With Tuttle, Fairel, and Robles there, not a lot of starts to go around.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Alejandro Chacin

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Interesting numbers with AZL Reds. Right-handed batters are a combined 1 for 18 with 15 strikeouts against him. Overall, he has struck out 21 of the 30 batters he has faced and allowed only two hits. I am told he is a bit on the smallish side, average fastball, good enough command of the breaking ball that at that level, they just can hit him. Only 18. Interesting to see him progress.

Maybe they will give him a start or two to see how he does. With Tuttle, Fairel, and Robles there, not a lot of starts to go around.
    Would surprise me if he started. I was told that he has a reliever type delivery from a guy who has never used those words to me before about a Reds pitcher.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Would surprise me if he started. I was told that he has a reliever type delivery from a guy who has never used those words to me before about a Reds pitcher.
    Does that mean he has the mechanics of Rob Dibble or something? What exactly is a "reliever-type" delivery? I was a pitcher through high school (and could have pitched small-school college, but I was more interested in partying at Ohio State and being lazy) and I don't exactly know what that means. I kind of do (I think) but I couldn't even put it into words. Even some very good starting pitchers have weird deliveries. It's whatever works for you. Some scouts say side-armed pitchers should only be used out of the bullpen. Tell that to the Indians and Justin Masterson. I'm just not buying that there is a certain "delivery" that is suited for starters and/or relievers. Every pitcher is different and it boils down to doing whatever works for them.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Does that mean he has the mechanics of Rob Dibble or something? What exactly is a "reliever-type" delivery? I was a pitcher through high school (and could have pitched small-school college, but I was more interested in partying at Ohio State and being lazy) and I don't exactly know what that means. I kind of do (I think) but I couldn't even put it into words. Even some very good starting pitchers have weird deliveries. It's whatever works for you. Some scouts say side-armed pitchers should only be used out of the bullpen. Tell that to the Indians and Justin Masterson. I'm just not buying that there is a certain "delivery" that is suited for starters and/or relievers. Every pitcher is different and it boils down to doing whatever works for them.
    Most teams are pretty consistent with low arm angled guys not getting chances to start. Sure, there are always exceptions to every rule, but there aren't many of those guys for a reason.

Turn Off Ads?