Turn Off Ads?
Page 59 of 63 FirstFirst ... 949555657585960616263 LastLast

Thread: Things That Drive You Crazy Redux

Re: Things That Drive You Crazy Redux

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    What further drives me up a wall is when you are in line at a light like this and the person first in line falls asleep at the switch and by the time they wake up and realize the light is green, only *they* get through the light and us schlubs behind them have to wait for another iteration.
    Oh you'd LOVE Portland.
    School's out. What did you expect?

2. Turn Off Ads?

People who don't "stage" (pull out into intersection) their left hand turns at lights and thus don't allow cars behind them that are going straight the room required to go around them.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Another thing is any newly developed shopping complexes that make it impossible to navigate through. Everything seems to be compartmentalized to the point that there are almost no through areas. I can see the store I want to go to, but it takes several trials and errors before I can finally find my way to their parking area.

And most frustrating is when I'm trying to leave. I know where the road is and can see it, but I wind up hitting 3 dead ends in the parking area before I finally find the one place that will allow me to leave. I long for the olden days when everything was just open and you could enter and leave any way you wanted. This new stuff makes no sense to me. Get off my lawn.
    Here it was I thought I was getting old and couldn't find my way out.

I think its the same philosophy as grocery stores who clog the aisles and/or make them difficult to navigate so that you spend more time there and buy more stuff. Like putting milk and bread at the back of the store.

Get off my lawn, indeed!!! Bah, humbug.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    Lately I am having a tough time tolerating people that smugly dislike anything popular to the general public. Generally this particlar strain of knucklehead is easy to avoid, but I seem to be bumping into more of them lately.
    Usually pertaining to music and movies...oh excuse me...films.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    What further drives me up a wall is when you are in line at a light like this and the person first in line falls asleep at the switch and by the time they wake up and realize the light is green, only *they* get through the light and us schlubs behind them have to wait for another iteration.
    Oh yes. If there's a hell for me, that's it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Hard butter!!!! This one drives me up a wall.... literally.

You go to a restaurant and they bring warm bread to the table which I love. Nothing is worse than anticipating nice warm bread and butter just to have the butter be so hard trying to spread it just tears up the bread.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Oooohhhhh intersections...I think my biggest driving pet peeve (and I have thousands) is people who blindly go through a light to "get through it" when there's no room and end up blocking the intersection after the light has changed, thus stopping the flow of traffic from at least three directions. This makes me convulse. I have serious road rage problems, most of which could probably be put to rest if people just followed the rules.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Oooohhhhh intersections...I think my biggest driving pet peeve (and I have thousands) is people who blindly go through a light to "get through it" when there's no room and end up blocking the intersection after the light has changed, thus stopping the flow of traffic from at least three directions. This makes me convulse. I have serious road rage problems, most of which could probably be put to rest if people just followed the rules.
    Isn't that gridlocking, and isn't it actually illegal in many cities?

I am perpetually annoyed with left turn arrows that do not illuminate when I am clearly in the left turn lane. I think it's due to the programming of the switches, so that if I pull up to the light when the cross traffic light is yellow, rather than green, the system will not create the arrow for my lane. It's a "smart system" acting stupid.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Hard butter!!!! This one drives me up a wall.... literally.
    There's nothing better than warm rolls and melty butter. It's a super easy way to please.

This a large issue -- the subsitution of variety for quality. Instead of offering fifteen types of coffee, why don't you just brew one variety of great coffee?

Americans have gone crazy on this. It gives us the illusion of choice over small matters in a world we're we feel like we have no control over the big stuff.

A Scottish friend of mine was amazed the first time he ordered eggs in America that the waitress asked him how he wanted them. In the UK, you get eggs one way.

Now that sounds a bit rigid but, ironically, the default egg preperation in the UK, a kind of over-medium with a creamy yolk, is how I like it. And nobody here can get it right!

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Me too...AARGH! My girlyfriend's daughter just got her temps, so I was out taking a learner spin with her the other day. This situation came up and I took the opportunity to make a strong point about the evils of such behaviour. I stopped her before it happened and thoroughly explained the why's and wherefore's. I think she gets it. She's really an excellent driver already.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    This a large issue -- the subsitution of variety for quality. Instead of offering fifteen types of coffee, why don't you just brew one variety of great coffee?

Americans have gone crazy on this. It gives us the illusion of choice over small matters in a world we're we feel like we have no control over the big stuff.

A Scottish friend of mine was amazed the first time he ordered eggs in America that the waitress asked him how he wanted them. In the UK, you get eggs one way.

Now that sounds a bit rigid but, ironically, the default egg preperation in the UK, a kind of over-medium with a creamy yolk, is how I like it. And nobody here can get it right!
    I was with you until the part about taking food tips from the Scots.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I was with you until the part about taking food tips from the Scots.
    Not sure about Scotland but breakfast is generally something the Brits do right.

And I dig toast racks:

the default egg preperation in the UK, a kind of over-medium with a creamy yolk
    Yummy! You made me want eggs right now.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Not sure about Scotland but breakfast is generally something the Brits do right.
    Maybe, but I could never quite get onboard the baked-beans-for-breakfast train.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?