Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muscle cramps in legs while asleep

Muscle cramps in legs while asleep

Any1 have any issues with cramps while in bed asleep or maybe the minute you wake up? I have never had a serious issue with this until the last few nights. I woke up Friday morning with an immediate cramp in back left thigh so intense and relentless I didn't think it would ever stop. Then this morning while still asleep I had another one in back of left calf and this was worse than the other one. It woke me up and I was close to tears. Had to get up and walk around the house at 5am and it feels like I tore something even now. A friend suggested a big gulp of Gatorade before I go to bed tonight.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Muscle cramps in legs while asleep

Stretching your legs before bed while doing a little self massage may help. Showering at night may help too as the warm water could keep the cramps away. Bananas are great for cramps as I eat one every day.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

An old trainer during my track days suggested charleyhorses were partially due to a lack of potassium. Try some bananas.

On a related note, this happened to me once about 15 years ago. I was just sleeping like you when it hit me. I woke up screaming and my heard me from upstairs and came down to help me stretch it out. I still have vivid memories of the pain. Not fun.

Good luck with it.

like spazz said.......bananas and also make sure your hydrated

Ive woken up to leg cramps before. I have no remedy other than water and bananas but I will say its not a fun thing to wake up to.

Senor Votto

I've only had this problem one time. I woke up screaming because the back of my calf was cramping so bad. One of the worst pains I've left

So weird that this thread just came up. Last night I was awoke by a cramp in my right calf. I'm pretty sure it was because I hadn't drank enough water, I was in the pit for rock on the range moshing around for Rob Zombie and Limp Bizkit, without any water. It was the moat terrible awakening I've ever had.
    Let's make some noise!

Definitely bananas. Every time I work out I cramp up so bad unless I have had my daily banana. Get that potassium.

I have this happen on occasion if I have been walking alot on concrete floors.

The only advice I can give you is when it happens, point your toes downward and rub the spot somewhat gently that is hurting on your leg. Try to relax your leg muscles as you do this.

Also try not to think about the pain as you rub, think about something like baseball. It helps distract the pain.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I had this happen once when I switched blood pressure medications. My calves cramped up so bad I thought I was going to pass out. No fun at all.

My doc recommended potassium supplements (pills) which did the trick. I got sick of bananas.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I used to get these occasionally while running Track and Cross Country in HS, usually a dehydration issue. I came across a tip in a runner's magazine once. It suggested taking your thumb and index finger of one hand and pinching you upper lip until the cramp subsided. It usually worked though I have no idea if it was an accupuncture type response or if I was just distracting myself until the muscle relaxed.

The worst part about these is when you feel them coming when you wake up and there is nothing you can do to stop them.

See the Mayo Clinic guide to night leg cramps.

Never had them, myself. Good luck.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Had two in one night on Friday. Needless to say I had a noticeable limp the rest of the weekend.
    I've found -- if you can -- that getting out of bed and standing makes them go away quickly.

My dad had this problem for as long as I can remember, and I picked it up about the time I was in junior high and still deal with it today. We subscribe to the banana cure.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?