Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Just Wondering...

Just Wondering...

In an ideal world, the Reds would sign Adam Dunn to a long term deal. That is what I would like to see. However, it seems innevitable that he will be leaving, considering a guy you are hitting seventh in the order is not thought of highly enough to suddenly be making an appearance at a news conference...

So...

Why not explore something with The Nats? In all of his Red-obsessive glory, Jimbo is still missing the one piece he wants most. The Big Donkey.

Here is what might work... Adam Dunn for Austin Kearns and Ross Detwiler. Give the Nats the 72 hours to get a long term deal done with Adam.

Kearns is really struggling this year, but I am not sold he is done. The 8 mil he is getting next year is a savings compared to Dunn's salary, and returning to GABP might rejuvinate his numbers signifigantly. The Reds can evaluate his situation at the end of the 2009 and decide whether to pay him the 10 mil he would be due, or exercise a 1 mil option. Kearns would be a huge upgrade in right when Jr. is gone, and with Krivsky gone I am not certain the front office would be as adverse to putting Bruce in center. Detwiler appears to be Washington's best pitching prospect, and a lefty at that. That fits in nicely with the composition of the rest of our rotation moving forward.

With Jr. and Dunn gone, the Reds are probably going to be tempted to bring in at least one free agent outfielder next year anyway. Kearns is likely to be as attractive an option for 8 mil as the majority on the open market who would demand a similar amount. The Reds should be concerned about the dearth of talent at outfield in this system. So much of the rest of the club is about ready to contend.... there is going to be plenty of money coming off the books to begin with...

I am concerned the Reds are going to find themselves unable to get much for Dunn at the deadline, and unable to sign him even if they suddenly come to their senses and decide they want to. Detwiler would be a nice return all things considered, and Kearns could serve nicely as a power hitting right handed bat in the interim. I bet Jimbo would listen, with crippled Nick Johnson as his only viable left handed threat.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Just Wondering...

but is Dunn interested in playing for Washington?

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    In an ideal world, the Reds would sign Adam Dunn to a long term deal. That is what I would like to see. However, it seems innevitable that he will be leaving, considering a guy you are hitting seventh in the order is not thought of highly enough to suddenly be making an appearance at a news conference...
    Ok, I'm confused. What does this mean?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    but is Dunn interested in playing for Washington?
    I doubt it, he's 4 months from picking where he wants to go, why go to an awful team? he's been on one for his entire career.
    Go Gators!

as much as i liked kearns when he was here, there is NO WAY the reds would bring him back. as for dunn going to DC, that would only happen if kearns is there. of course the chances of dunn wanting to go to DC is about zero IMO. if the reds don't keep dunn and griffey they MUST bring in a big name RH bat next season if they don't trade for one by the deadline this season.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    as much as i liked kearns when he was here, there is NO WAY the reds would bring him back. as for dunn going to DC, that would only happen if kearns is there. of course the chances of dunn wanting to go to DC is about zero IMO.
    This is my thoughts exactly. Now if you swap Kearns with someone else, then you might be on to something.

Just say no to Austin Kearns. We've been down that road. We're seeing what he can do.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Ok, I'm confused. What does this mean?

I think what he is saying is that because Dunn has been batting in such a low profile position, the Reds do not think highly enough of him to sign him to a new deal - necessatating the news conference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think what he is saying is that because Dunn has been batting in such a low profile position, the Reds do not think highly enough of him to sign him to a new deal - necessatating the news conference.
    Yep. One side of me wants them to resign Adam Dunn. The other side of me then says.... "Why pay this guy even bigger money so Baker can bat him 7th?" It's a waste IMO.

He needs to lower his OB% about 90 pts to get a shot at the top of this order.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Yep. One side of me wants them to resign Adam Dunn. The other side of me then says.... "Why pay this guy even bigger money so Baker can bat him 7th?" It's a waste IMO.

He needs to lower his OB% about 90 pts to get a shot at the top of this order.
    That's exactly what I was trying to say... poorly, apparently.

But, I am not stuck on Kearns. I just thought it may be tempting for the the Nats to do that considering Kearns' contract, and I don't think it would be a necessarily bad gamble to add him considering our need for right handed power and a good defensive corner outfielder. If they would rather send Willy Mo or Lastings Milledge... I would probably still do it that way too. The real target it is Detwiler. The outfielder would have to at least be servicable, because we have nothing coming along for a long time aside from Bruce. Stubbs is quite the question mark.

I don't think the Reds are going to get a prospect like Detwiler for Dunn at this juncture without doing something very creative. Whether or not he would sign with Washington is something that would be best left to leather pants and his universal charm, but I am sure he would roll out the brinks truck and give it his best college try.

Unfortunately, the chances of the Reds signing Dunn at this point appear to be little and none. I hope I am wrong.
    Last edited by Phhhl; 05-18-2008 at 08:30 PM.

Turn Off Ads?