Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Artists You Simply Cannot Stand

Re: Artists You Simply Cannot Stand

Dom I can agree with most of your post but Dave Matthews sometimes sounds like Adam Sandler? That's funny but really?

Most of the bands in the post that's been quoted multiple times (Hinder, Seether, Godsmack, Nickelback, ...) all sound alike to me. If there's nothing else on the radio it's ok but I doubt I'd ever pay anything to hear them. Same with a bunch of the alternative/pop boy bands (Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco, ....)

Twenty-five years ago I couln't get into rap. Still can't.

Someone mentioned Brittney Spears. Does anyone actually consider her an ''artist"? Does she write any of her songs? (hell if I know but I'd be surprised) Does she play any instrument? (Never seen it) Can she sing well? (without "help") She seems more like an entertainer/brand name/production. ("Oh no Brittney shaved her head again?? Ok we can fix this. We have to. She's our meal ticket")

But if I have to pick one thing it would be all the "rock/heavy metal" bands that have come out in the last 10 years that when they sing it just doesn't sound like singing. I mean when it sounds like they're just yelling, literally yelling, and you can't make out a single word.

Ok, make it two things. I'd add all the 70's very soft rock sound alike bands. (If you know who Bread is I feel sorry for you)

Hey GAC, I think Badfinger was gonna be the next Beatles too. Oh well. Everyone wants the next big thing yet they can't let go of the past.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Next Year

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I have a hard time coming up with artists that I loathe because they're just not on my mind. But I can truly say I hate Dave Matthews and I can trace it back to the very moment I first heard "Crash into me".

Post edit: I hate Madonna too, but not because she's old, but because she sucks and always has.
    Words cannot describe the distaste I have for Dave Matthews. The hate I harbor for him and his music was compounded by a former roomate in college who worshipped the guy (not you Nate). A friend of mine used to joke that he knew Dave Matthews fans who would wonder why Jimi Hendrix and Bob Dylan ripped off Dave's "All Along the Watchtower" because, obviously, Dave wrote that, but it wouldn't surprise me to know some fanboys actually thought that. I blame Dave for everything that is wrong with modern music today. No offense to anyone who likes him, I am just diametrically opposed to his existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    As for artists I hate, the post grunge era (of which Matchbox Twenty is not even remotely a part of) pretty much sums it up.
    I don't know--most music experts smarter than I place them into that category...

Next Year

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    The Ting Tings. Jeezus, what a terrible, terrible single.
    My wife digs that song. Everytime it comes on my first thought is "WTF is this?"

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I can't stand

Led Zeppelin
    Jimmy Hendrix

Nickelback
    Gangsta Rap
    Pink Floyd

Not a big fan of classic rock. I am warming up to it a little bit but not much.
    I'm not much of a classic rock fan either, but Zep and Hendrix are probably my two favorite...

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I as well.. and also Captain Beefheart and Patrick Nagel.. gawd I hate Nagel.

I saw Captain Beefheart as the opening act for Jethro Tull's "Thick as a Brick" tour back in '71.

He got all upset at the sound system in the middle of the set and stopped the show until they got it where he wanted it.

I'm gonna booglarize you, baby.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I think "Tropical Hot Dog Night" by Captain Beefheart is one of the greatest songs ever written. I love Van Vliet.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I can't stand

Led Zeppelin
    Jimmy Hendrix

Nickelback
    Gangsta Rap
    Pink Floyd

Not a big fan of classic rock. I am warming up to it a little bit but not much.
    3 of your picks make up 50% of the "classic rock" on Lexington's classic rock station
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

This is a funny thread. It really is interesting to see how peoples musical tatses differ.
    I am fairly music tolerant but a couple that I just can't stand are Pink and freakin Macy Gray. That song she had a few years back made me want to drive off a cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I don't know--most music experts smarter than I place them into that category...
    They're pop rock.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Dom I can agree with most of your post but Dave Matthews sometimes sounds like Adam Sandler? That's funny but really?
    He has that squeaky voice at times. When he sings, "I am no Superman..." all I can hear is Adam Sandler. Or maybe it just inspires me to sing it that way. I've been on both sides of the Dave train. I can tolerate him now, though I would rank DMB fans up there with the Cubbies'.

I'm talking about a sound, not so much a time period. Matchbox Twenty is just white man's pop rock.

I look at the other names on that list, and they don't fit there in my humble opinion. Even the article you linked to compared them to Train, REM....hardly post grunge stuff in style.

I left Radiohead off the list because GAC mentioned bands that you hear on the radio.

Nobody plays that noise on the radio because nobody wants to hear it.

Seriously, the Backstreet Boys' greatest hits are more listenable than that stuff.

I just wonder how Rolling Stone can give all these unlistenable records 5 stars. Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Neil Young, Radiohead....

It's like Herbie Hancock winning a grammy. Okay, sure, but nobody listens to it, so who cares? I'll bet more people listen to Miley Cyrus a day than Radiohead.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 03-17-2009 at 02:34 PM.

The Offspring. That guy's voice is like an un-oiled band saw.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I can't say there is anyone I can't stand.

There are songs/artists/genres that I prefer, some that I've grown tired of, some that I've never gotten tired of, some I used to like but don't now, some I didn't used to like but do now, some that I tune out, some I say "what is that?", but nothing that gets a real visceral I-hate-this rise out of me. I get something out of every song I hear. Some a lot, some not much at all.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Man! Am I old or what? I don't know of any of those bands!

Anyone ever hear of the Archies?
    I must admit, I had an Archies LP growing up! Yes, I the later purchased it on CD as well. I actually dig some of those songs I think the rest of my commentary belongs in one of those threads about bands/songs you are somewhat ashamed about liking!!!
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

The Rolling Stones and The Eagles are automatic stations turns for me.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Turn Off Ads?