Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lost Christmas Classics

Re: Lost Christmas Classics

Don't know how "lost" it is but I like the 1951 Scrooge starring Alastair Sim. Does a name get any more British than Alastair Sim?

Also, Pee-Wee's Playhouse Christmas Special with a cast that included Charo, Magic Johnson, Oprah, Frankie Avalon & Annette Funicello. Inspired lunacy.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Turn Off Ads?

My family watched The Night They Saved Christmas every year growing up. It was one of my family's biggest holiday traditions. It's probably been close to 10 years now since they stopped showing it. Every year I'll find it in a store, but no luck so far.

We pulled out a ratty VHS copy of Garfield's Christmas special last weekend. Doesn't get much play any more, but I do love me some Doc Boy references.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    You, like me missed out on the whole Sesame Street gang as icons... I'm still waiting for Tom Terrific's Christmas starring Dancing Bear and Mr. Bunny Rabbit

Yeah, and Crabby Appleton would definitely try to ruin Christmas.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Yeah, and Crabby Appleton would definitely try to ruin Christmas.

He's got bad teeth and a skinny tie.

He must be British.

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    We pulled out a ratty VHS copy of Garfield's Christmas special last weekend. Doesn't get much play any more, but I do love me some Doc Boy references.
    Anyone know why CBS stopped airing this?

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Don't know how "lost" it is but I like the 1951 Scrooge starring Alastair Sim. Does a name get any more British than Alastair Sim?

Also, Pee-Wee's Playhouse Christmas Special with a cast that included Charo, Magic Johnson, Oprah, Frankie Avalon & Annette Funicello. Inspired lunacy.
    I love the version w/Sim - I bought at Best Buy a 2 DVD set with a restored B&W version - they also have the colorized version (yeech) as well in the set. Another good "Christmas Carol" is "An American Christmas Carol" with Henry Winkler set in the Depression. Went and bought "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol" as well. PBS sometimes shows two British Christmas classics that you can find on DVD now... "The Snowman" and "Father Christmas"... BUT beware of the "Father Christmas" DVD - I purchased that they redid the audio. Father Christmas in the original has a cockney accent (says bloomin' alot) and the DVD is just an English accent. VERY dissappointing!
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    "Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas". I do have it on VHS, but I miss the ubiquitous broadcasts on HBO.

The Riverbottom Nightmare Band absolutely rocked!
    I do too! IIRC you can get the DVD of the show.
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Looking at some of my VHS tapes...

How about "A Mom for Christmas" with Olivia Newton-John... and wasn't that filmed in Cincinnati? Also, Tiny Toons Christmas Special...

I am surprised no one has mentioned this gem - which, yes, I do remember watching when it was shown.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    I am surprised no one has mentioned this gem - which, yes, I do remember watching when it was shown.
    I was going bring this up. I watched it as a kid as well and remember being bored to tears. About 5 years ago, a friend got a copy and we watched it. Bored to tears. Its HORRIBLE.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I like that one too. It's my second favorite adapation of the Christmas Carol. My favorite is the one George C. Scott is in, made in 1984.
    Bought that one last year on DVD. But my favorite version is the 1951 one starring Alastair Sim.

And you can purchase a highlight DVD of Bing Crosby Christmas

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004TWQ7?...MYQYBCYS8QC45&

Always loved this Crosby-Bowie duet on Little Drummer Boy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKTHvW2JcAA
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Narron View Post
    Anyone know why CBS stopped airing this?
    I wonder why too. I used to love watching that when I was little.

In the late '60's and early '70's WTTV channel 4 in Inidnapolis used to air a movie called Dondi. I think it was about a young orphan boy that was Asian. They showed it every Christmas Eve in the afternoon and my brother and I always watched it. Haven't seen it in years.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Always loved this Crosby-Bowie duet on Little Drummer Boy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKTHvW2JcAA

Wasn't that his last show? That is a wonderful duet. I have the recording on tape. I've always wondered how those two ever got together. Seems like an odd pairing to say the least.

What do you think the chances are of a Pat Boone-Marilyn Manson duet someday?

Turn Off Ads?