Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Panic Button (version 2.0)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: The Panic Button (version 2.0)

By the way Homer.....does the "I'm Back" still apply? :O) I sure HOPE so! Homer's looked so good since he's come back...last thing I want to see is another DL stint. *crosses fingers*

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    By the way Homer.....does the "I'm Back" still apply? :O) I sure HOPE so! Homer's looked so good since he's come back...last thing I want to see is another DL stint. *crosses fingers*
    I change sigs and avatar's when we aren't playing well, I think it's time, haha. Open to suggestions.

Put one up of the Phillies ball girl last night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

There is no need to panic. There is however a need to change horses midstream if need be. What do I mean by that? The team thinks they are contenders & can build around some of the star players they have. If thats not the case then they need to look to 2012 & beyond. The next month is critical. We are 4 games out and falling fast. If we are 10 games out July 1rst then a major change in philosophy should IMO be called for.

1) move Hernadez for value and call us Mes mid season
    2) move Phillips for value
    3) trade Joey Votto. several reasons. first i doubt he will be here past 2013. if we really are not contenders in that window then we should maximize his value. traded mid 2011 he could bring a Hershell Walker type return. his new team would get him for 2.5 years at below free agency cost and even if he walks after 2013 they get draft picks. his trade value is sky high and the Reds could get multiple true A prospects in the right deal. For you young uns who don't know the Hershell Walker reference he was a star player for the Cowboys. He was traded for 11 players/draft picks. It let to the Cowboys winning multiple super bowls. short term pain. massive long term gain.

The 2012 team wouldn't be bad at all.
    Mes/Hanigan, Alonso, 2B, Cozart, Rolen/Francisco/Frazier, Bruce, Stubbs, Sappelt/Heisey.
    Starters are Cueto, Bailey, Wood, Leake, Arroyo, Chapman.
    Pen is Masset, Bray, Ondrusek, Lecure.
    Add to that multiple really good prospects received in the Votto & Phillips deals. Add to that players added in the offseason with all the cash saved by letting Cordero, Phillips & Votto go.

I know its blasphemy for me to suggest this but I think it needs to be on the table if the team is out of contention with multiple holes mid season.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I change sigs and avatar's when we aren't playing well, I think it's time, haha. Open to suggestions.
    Tommy Hanson

I just flipped through about 10 pages of your posts. Honestly, when was the last time you made an even somewhat positive comment?
    I think the Tuesday home game vs. Chicago, or the STL series. Exactly what that's transpired since then deserves sunshine and rainbows? I'm certainly bearish on this team based on the lack of offseason proactivity (as my total win prediction before Opening Day suggests). That doesn't make me a non-fan, just a frustrated and upset one. I'm very skeptical as to what the front office's end game is: contenders or champions? After this past offseason, I believe it to be the former.

If, during your search of my posts, you go back far enough, you'll find I was one of the primary (if not the biggest) proponents of trading for Matt Holliday when the A's were openly shopping him a couple of years ago. I was ridiculed and blasted by more than a few people on here that scoffed at Holliday as being nothing more than a Coors Field abberation. It had nothing to do with finances, RZers just refused to think of MH as anything more than another Dante Bichette.

How's that working out now?
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 05-26-2011 at 08:24 PM.

Our starting pitching has seriously underachieved, a third of our starting lineup is ice cold, and we're 4 games out as of May 26th. How's that for perspective. Come back to me when it's closer to the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I don't like what's going on, but I'm certainly not panicking:

- For whatever reason, the Pirates have the Reds' number this year. Every year there seems to be one team that does that and its the Pirates turn this year.
    - The Reds got swept by a very hot Indians team. But two of those 3 games were very winnable and really were fluke wins by the Indians.
    - and the Reds were one Brandon Phillip snooze away from a 2-2 split with the Phils at Philly where they hadn't won since 2009.

9 out of 10 is pretty bad. But, this may sound weird, but I don't think the Reds have played all that badly.
    That's funny because I was thinking the exact same thing. I've seen losing streaks before and this one just felt different. I saw a lot of "random" in the last 10 games that just didn't go the way of the Reds.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    I think the Tuesday home game vs. Chicago, or the STL series. Exactly what that's transpired since then deserves sunshine and rainbows? I'm certainly bearish on this team based on the lack of offseason proactivity (as my total win prediction before Opening Day suggests). That doesn't make me a non-fan, just a frustrated and upset one. I'm very skeptical as to what the front office's end game is: contenders or champions? After this past offseason, I believe it to be the former.

If, during your search of my posts, you go back far enough, you'll find I was one of the primary (if not the biggest) proponents of trading for Matt Holliday when the A's were openly shopping him a couple of years ago. I was ridiculed and blasted by more than a few people on here that scoffed at Holliday as being nothing more than a Coors Field abberation. It had nothing to do with finances, RZers just refused to think of MH as anything more than another Dante Bichette.

How's that working out now?
    So we should have sold the farm for Holliday in '09, only to lose him to the highest bidder in 2010?

How would that be working out now?

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    There is no need to panic. There is however a need to change horses midstream if need be. What do I mean by that? The team thinks they are contenders & can build around some of the star players they have. If thats not the case then they need to look to 2012 & beyond. The next month is critical. We are 4 games out and falling fast. If we are 10 games out July 1rst then a major change in philosophy should IMO be called for.

1) move Hernadez for value and call us Mes mid season
    2) move Phillips for value
    3) trade Joey Votto. several reasons. first i doubt he will be here past 2013. if we really are not contenders in that window then we should maximize his value. traded mid 2011 he could bring a Hershell Walker type return. his new team would get him for 2.5 years at below free agency cost and even if he walks after 2013 they get draft picks. his trade value is sky high and the Reds could get multiple true A prospects in the right deal. For you young uns who don't know the Hershell Walker reference he was a star player for the Cowboys. He was traded for 11 players/draft picks. It let to the Cowboys winning multiple super bowls. short term pain. massive long term gain.

The 2012 team wouldn't be bad at all.
    Mes/Hanigan, Alonso, 2B, Cozart, Rolen/Francisco/Frazier, Bruce, Stubbs, Sappelt/Heisey.
    Starters are Cueto, Bailey, Wood, Leake, Arroyo, Chapman.
    Pen is Masset, Bray, Ondrusek, Lecure.
    Add to that multiple really good prospects received in the Votto & Phillips deals. Add to that players added in the offseason with all the cash saved by letting Cordero, Phillips & Votto go.

I know its blasphemy for me to suggest this but I think it needs to be on the table if the team is out of contention with multiple holes mid season.

You underestimate Jocketty/Bob's willingness to just be "competitive" and milk a division winning season every so often.

The same thing is going on at PBS down the street...hope your prospects pan out, extend the good ones you can, roll the dice...

What we have is what we'll get I suppose. That said, I do wish they'd start opening up jobs now on the big club for AAA guys to start winning. Too many struggling bats and they're going to need to start scoring more than 3-4 runs a game more consistently to overcome the pitching here...at least at 3B and LF. I guess there's nothing to be done about pitching, so, trade for someone or try to find a way to start scoring even more runs, more often.

A better approach would help also from Dusty and the coaching staff, and some more accountability/disciplined players.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    You underestimate Jocketty/Bob's willingness to just be "competitive" and milk a division winning season every so often.
    I would love to see some legitimate supporting evidence for this statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Wow. Really?

Cueto, Bailey, Arroyo, Wood and take your pick of Volquez, Leake, LeCure.

Cueto & Bailey are both very solid. Arroyo's going to give you what he always gives you. His numbers are skewed because he's already had his yearly blowout outing and it's early. Wood has been much better than his numbers indicate. That's 4 solid starters and a 5th starter of varying options all with considerable upside.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but there aren't many rotations I WOULD trade ours for.

They are pretty much all young and erratic.....some have become injury prone (Spasms after swinging a bat? Glad he did not sneeze and throw out his back as well)

It's been 50 games and they do not look like they are getting better.

This Phillies team was hitting like the 1982 Reds and then just like that....Magic. You have more confidence than I would beacuse I do not see what you see....besides potential.

I just flipped through about 10 pages of your posts. Honestly, when was the last time you made an even somewhat positive comment?
    Second time in less than 24 hours you go out of your way to attack someone personally. If you disagree with someone's idea show some class and debate that.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Second time in less than 24 hours you go out of your way to attack someone personally. If you disagree with someone's idea show some class and debate that.
    If your referring to your post in the game thread, I absolutely did provide points to debate it, and you chose to scoff at it.

Now regarding this post. No, I'm not going to respect someone that only shows up during bad times to complain and say "I told you so." It provides no opportunity for quality discussion.

The Reds have 111 games left this season.

Since the Reds swept the Cards, the Cards have had 2 vs. Philly, 2 vs. Houston, 3 @ KC, and 3 @ SD. That's a pretty favorable schedule over a 2 week stretch.

Reds have some issues, but none that all teams don't run into at some point. Get a few arms healthy, stay in it long enough to deal for a much needed bat in LF at the deadline, and the Reds will be in the hunt.

Turn Off Ads?