Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oberon Beer available at GABP this season

Re: Oberon Beer available at GABP this season

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I've never heard of it either. Is it any good?
    I'll let you know. A review will be included in my monthly beer newsletter titled....Mmmmm Beer.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo View Post
    Great Lakes, Holy Moses... yum.

While we are on the wheat beer discussion, Sam Adams White and Summer Ales are very, very, very good.
    Elliot Ness and Edmund Fitzgerald Porter are excellent too. Great Lakes is one of the things I remember fondly from Cleveland. Thank goodness for Jungle Jim's in Fairfield--they carry GL's entire line of beers!

Where do they sell Crooked River in GABP?

I must admit I was hooked on something called "Redlegg Ale" behind Sec 417. They replaced it last year with Coors Light. So I had to go find the Molson.

But, if you know where the Crooked River was, I'm all over that.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post

I must admit I was hooked on something called "Redlegg Ale" behind Sec 417. They replaced it last year with Coors Light. So I had to go find the Molson.

You can get Red Legg at Jungle Jim's too; not a far drive from Dayton--less than an hour. Swing by on your way home from a game some time. Red Legg is made by Barrell House in Over-The-Rhine.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUmed2010 View Post
    Man.... I love beer. Too bad beer at the stadium is so darn expensive. I guess I'll just stick to High Life and PBR.
    I love beer too. And that's one of the reasons I get Great Lakes at the ball park. It's a dollar more than Bud Light, which I'm not too fond of anyways, and you get a much higher percentage of alcohol. IMO, 2-3 Great Lakes is a much better value than 2-3 Bud Lights even though you're paying a little bit more.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Redhook- there is a pretty good beer named after you- Redhook ESB.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I love beer too. And that's one of the reasons I get Great Lakes at the ball park. It's a dollar more than Bud Light, which I'm not too fond of anyways, and you get a much higher percentage of alcohol. IMO, 2-3 Great Lakes is a much better value than 2-3 Bud Lights even though you're paying a little bit more.
    Yeah... but I don't buy beer at the park. $6 for a bud light is too rich for my blood. Generally, I'll start the night at the Hofbrauhaus and then walk across the purple bridge to the stadium. I can get a liter of fantastic beer there for almost the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    Redhook- there is a pretty good beer named after you- Redhook ESB.
    Actually, Redhook is my dad's favorite beer so he decided, naturally, to name me after it when I was born.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Actually, Redhook is my dad's favorite beer so he decided, naturally, to name me after it when I was born.
    Makes you wonder about kids born ing the late 1970's named Billy.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I've been to the Red Hook Brewery in Portsmouth, NH. I didn't care for the ESB, but I loved their India Pale Ale. Their Porter was not bad, either but I forgot what they called it...ah yes, Blackhook! The Internet knows everything.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

All this talk of beer is making me thirsty. I've never had Oberon before. I'll have to try it out now. I miss the days when I worked at Great Lakes and could come home with a case of "low-fills" for half price. BR, Ness, Fitzgerald, Commodore Perry IPA, and Christmas Ale are my favorites.

I wouldn't say that GL has a higher alcohol level than Bud Light. Light beers typically have a higher alcohol percentage because they have had more of the sugars converted to alcohol. IIRC, Miller and Bud actually had to modify their brewing process so as to avoid having too much alcohol to prohibit sale in certain states. So an American Light Lager may be at about 5% ABV, whereas a stout like Guiness may only be 3.5% ABV. The ABV of GL beers will vary according to style. Heavier or more flavorful beer does not equal higher alcohol content.

As far as wheat beer goes, nothing is better on a summer day than hanging out in the beer garden, drinking a hefe under the chestnut trees.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I miss the days when I worked at Great Lakes
    The bartender at my local watering hole used to work there, he lived in Cleveland and was raised in Toledo.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The bartender at my local watering hole used to work there, he lived in Cleveland and was raised in Toledo.
    Did he tend bar there? You should ask him about the bullet hole in the bar.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Then I've got good news for you. This from today's Enquirer:

Baseball and Cincinnati beer, a pairing once as natural as peanuts and Cracker Jacks, are getting back together.

After a two-year absence from Great American Ball Park, BarrelHouse Brewing Co.'s RedLegg Ale will once again be on tap during Cincinnati Reds games this season and at the park's Machine Room Grille, according to Rick DeBar, BarrelHouse's brewmaster

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...703270341/1076

I'm not an ale drinker but I must admit I love that RedLegg Ale. Luckily my local poney keg stocks it although it ain't cheap.

Here's to good beer at Reds' games

I don't know that Crooked River is around anymore. I know it was owned by Snyder International Brewing along with Hudepohl, Christian Moerlein, and the Frederick Brewing Co., but Snyder went out of business. The marks and recipes for Christian Moerlein were bought by Cincinnati investors and brewed on contract. That's why you can still find it in stores. I think someone is brewing Hudy Delight again, but I don't know who. I have no idea if anyone is brewing or intends to brew Crooked River, but I haven't seen it in stores up here in many years. Being that it was a Cleveland beer, I'd expect to see it here first. I'll let you know if I see it in stores again.

Turn Off Ads?