Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: World's lamest ballpark village opens next to Busch in St. Louis

Stat geek...and proud

Re: World's lamest ballpark village opens next to Busch in St. Louis

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    I can pretty much guarantee I would be harassed there while following the dress code.
    Me too. They don't like Slayer shirts in "classy" establishments.

2. Likes:

bigredmechanism (03-29-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Me too. They don't like Slayer shirts in "classy" establishments.
    I doubt I'd wear a band shirt to such a place. I find that places freak out more over me dressing up or dressing for work than for 'going out' wear. case in point, this shirt that I wear with jeans most of the time I'm in my garden: http://windlass.com/wsc_product/earl...issance-shirt/

mines old enough to where to go to when they were still offered in green and brown (mine is green, kinda like a mallard duck).
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    I wonder if I could get away with the Randy (from Trailer Park Boys) look. I don't see anything in the dress code that says you have to wear a shirt.

Attachment 6857
    No shirt, no shoes, no dice.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

Chip R (03-27-2014),Yachtzee (03-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin88 View Post
    Wonderful Monds isn't racist (or any variation of that) for acknowledging that there are clothing styles that are typically associated with "urban" or "hip-hop" culture (which is in turn associated with African American culture). If you really think Monds is just making this stuff up, here's a whole Wikipedia article on some of the trends and styles associated with this genre of fashion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_hop_fashion

The implication of "racism" here, whether you agree or not, is that this sort of fashion is most associated with African American culture. So while yes, you could argue that "the element" that is being discouraged here is this particular style, which could be worn by any person of any color... These sort of dress codes disproportionately affect those who are most associated with the urban look.

I'm not making a case out of this... the bar/restaurant owners can do whatever they want in their establishments, as they will ultimately sleep in the bed they made. But this is far from the first time these sorts of dress codes have been called into question, so let's take an edge off some of the hostility: See for yourself!
    Bump.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

They call me "chef"

I have anecdotal proof that racism doesn't exist. I once ate at a steak house and they kicked me out for having dreadlocks and playing dice and I'm white. Conversely, I used to frequent many clubs in college that were filled with exclusively black youths wearing Lacoste sweaters and dancing to Steely Dan. So, there is no way building a dress code around popular fashion styles for urban youths can be racist.

9. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (03-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    This dress code is no different from other nice establishments that people go to. It's a non-issue.
    The Cardinals fan hath spoken.

So let it be written. So let it be done.

11. Likes:

Raisor (03-27-2014)

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I've gotten to the age where comfort trumps style.
    Yep. I wear shorts 360+ days a year. Sure, I live in Florida, but it has to be really cold outside for me to put on pants even when on the road. I'll put a sweatshirt on to cover my upper body, but the legs? Let 'em breathe.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

13. Likes:

bounty37h (03-27-2014),Red in Chicago (03-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Yep. I wear shorts 360+ days a year. Sure, I live in Florida, but it has to be really cold outside for me to put on pants even when on the road. I'll put a sweatshirt on to cover my upper body, but the legs? Let 'em breathe.
    Are you husky?

15. Likes:

Chuckie (03-27-2014)

It's all fun and games until someone brings up Steely Dan.

Things just got real in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    It's all fun and games until someone brings up Steely Dan.

Things just got real in here.
    Done up in blueprint blue

18. Likes:

Always Red (03-27-2014),gilpdawg (03-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    I have anecdotal proof that racism doesn't exist. I once ate at a steak house and they kicked me out for having dreadlocks and playing dice and I'm white. Conversely, I used to frequent many clubs in college that were filled with exclusively black youths wearing Lacoste sweaters and dancing to Steely Dan. So, there is no way building a dress code around popular fashion styles for urban youths can be racist.
    I'm calling shenanigans

No one ever danced to Steely Dan, I know for a fact, I was there.

Only a fool would say that....

20. Likes:

wlf WV (03-31-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'm calling shenanigans

No one ever danced to Steely Dan, I know for a fact, I was there.

Only a fool would say that....
    Does nodding your head slightly while sipping a gin and tonic count?

22. Likes:

westofyou (03-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I don't necessarily have a problem with dress codes as long as they are clear and uniformly enforced. From the way this dress code is written, it seems clear that it's directed towards males likely to be of a lower economic bracket. My feeling is that males that look uncouth have a chance of getting harassed even if they meet the dress code. There seems to be a lack of a dress code directed toward women. So if they want to wear booty shorts, show visible thong, or even come in wearing pajama pants, they'll be fine. Really such rules seem like an attempt to keep out undesirable men while basically allowing women, especially attractive women, to dress however they want under the belief that more women bring in customers while too many men, especially lower class men, drives away customers.
    Have you even been to any sort of club or nicer bar though? That's how it is everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I don't necessarily have a problem with dress codes as long as they are clear and uniformly enforced. From the way this dress code is written, it seems clear that it's directed towards males likely to be of a lower economic bracket. My feeling is that males that look uncouth have a chance of getting harassed even if they meet the dress code. There seems to be a lack of a dress code directed toward women. So if they want to wear booty shorts, show visible thong, or even come in wearing pajama pants, they'll be fine. Really such rules seem like an attempt to keep out undesirable men while basically allowing women, especially attractive women, to dress however they want under the belief that more women bring in customers while too many men, especially lower class men, drives away customers.
    Yes, a thousand times over.

The problem with dress codes is that it's usually nigh-on impossible to get the letter of the law to match up with the spirit of the law. And 9.8 times out of 10, the spirit of the law is absolutely what is behind the dress code (i.e., they're not concerned with how people actually look as much as they are concerned with the image that look conveys).

No one -- NO ONE -- is more in favor of a dress code in theory than I am. I harbor no fonder hope than to open an establishment requiring crinolines and linen suits (all of you men wearing shorts: have you looked into a nice, cool, breathable linen suit? Have you?) This is not because I want to convey a certain image, but because i want people to look nice, feel good about themselves, perform their best, make new friends and lovers, and go to bed at peace with their places in the world. It so happens that I think people look good in crinolines and well-fitted linen suits, but that is my opinion. Some people, some aesthetically challenged people, might think those look silly, because as my mother always told me, there's no accounting for taste.

But in truth things just don't work that way. People are shaped differently and look good in different things. A blouse that looks downright modest on one woman will be completely inappropriate on another for, say, a work setting, even if the blouse itself conforms to dress code, because women's chests are shaped differently. A long shirt might drown a thin, short-waisted man and make him look as if he is sporting nightwear, whereas with the correct rest-of-outfit, it might just look like a slightly oversized fashion statement on another man.

That's why the letter-of-the-law dress code is so ridiculous. I call it the Khaki Rule. Khaki pants are one of the few articles of clothing on this earth that look bad on pretty much everyone. .002% of the population, particularly the female population, looks good and professional in khakis. Don't even talk to me about pleated khakis. Yet most workplaces have a "business casual" policy that allows khakis and forbids jeans. This is partly a holdover from when jeans were strictly for farming or whatever, I guess, but what you have now is thousands upon thousands of people walking around offices in stretched, baggy, poorly made khakis, looking sloppy and unprofessional and DEFINITELY NOT THEIR BEST SELVES, when a nice pair of jeans can be so much sturdier and better fitting and, topped off and accessorized the right way, hands down more professional than khakis. Unfortunately there's not really a way to have a dress code without a letter-of-law because it's so subjective, but I do think most establishments and workplaces could step back and really think about what looks professional in 2014 vs. 1980.

Anyway, I'm rambling (this topic is very important to me), but I agree with Yachtzee in the sense of what they're likely going for and how offensive that dress code is in terms of where it actually takes them. Ostensibly it's supposed to convey an air of "high-class" (I hate that word) and all that implies and associates by limiting clothing trends associated with other classes. They may TRY to convey this as an aesthetic thing, but as evidenced by the fact that women would likely still be allowed to come in wearing clothing exposing many things that men aren't allowed to, it's clearly not an aesthetic thing. They're pursuing a spirit of the law through letter of the law, or to put it more blatantly, they're trying to be selective about their clientele through dress code regulations.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

25. Likes:

M2 (03-27-2014),wheels (03-27-2014),Yachtzee (03-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Gives me the mental image of you as a big husky guy. Reason? I am thin and as I've gotten older find I rarely wear shorts because I seem to get chilly easily - but my husky friends all wear shorts - all the time, even here in Missouri.

And as for the dress code/tastes posts - I guess I've reached a point I just don't give a darn what someone else's tastes are. Do I like it? Do I feel comfortable in it. Then close your eyes if you don't like it because I am wearing it....
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 03-27-2014 at 10:26 AM.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Turn Off Ads?