Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Danny Knobler says Reds are searching for starting pitching

Danny Knobler says Reds are searching for starting pitching

From Danny Knobler of CBSSports:

No surprise, but I hear Reds are searching for starting pitchers they could trade for before the July 31 deadline

http://twitter.com/DKnobler

In another tweet he mentions Jeremy Guthrie as a guy the Reds like. Guthrie isn't a bad pitcher but he isn't really an upgrade over what the Reds already have. We need a true ace.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Danny Knobler says Reds are searching for starting pitching

Another person in the blog had a tweet about Jonathan Sanchez if the Giants could get some hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Another person in the blog had a tweet about Jonathan Sanchez if the Giants could get some hitting.
    In the immortal words of Michael Gary Scott: "NO, GOD! NO, GOD, PLEASE, NO! NO! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

40% of our rotation has ERA's over 5 right now. An ace would be nice, but even if you assume Bailey is healthy and good (and that's a stretch), the Reds could still use another solid arm.

SS should be the obivous #1 priority, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Shortstop and Left Field. Its the offense stupid!

Continue...

The Reds have a GREAT rotation that is starting to show its true form. The Reds have had a top five staff in the last half month.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Good arm, but like Volquez he walks a ton of batters.

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    Shortstop and Left Field. Its the offense stupid!

Continue...

The Reds have a GREAT rotation that is starting to show its true form. The Reds have had a top five staff in the last half month.
    The Reds are third in the majors in (most) runs scored and 9th in (most) runs allowed. While upgrading the offense would be nice, it's pretty obvious that the Reds should prioritize pitching because there's a lot more room to improve.

To me, it has to be a hammer or it doesn't make much sense.

Liriano I know is inconsistent, but when he's on, he's that. Having said that, I don't know if he's suited to GABP or not.

The other issue is that the Twins have to fall out of the race before this deal could even think about happening. Would be a deadline week deal, at the earliest.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

I don't believe the Reds should invest in resources for a pitcher unless it's a clear ace, and there don't seem to be any of those laying around.

That said, I think the Reds should inquire on John Danks. He got off to a slow start, but is starting to pitch well and being a lefty with terrific control, he might be a good fit in Cincinnati. The White Sox are kind of in neutral right now, so I suspect he could be had.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Reds pitching now at 3.16 for June.

In 17 games....here are the runs they've given up,

11 - once
    9- once
    4- 4 times
    3- 3 times
    2- 5 times
    1- 2 times
    0- 1 times.

Those 2 Dodger games at the start of the month were ugly....since then they have an earnie under 2.50.

A very nice turn of events.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Yeah, we definitely need another mid-rotation at best starter...........
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

What if Guthrie is a replacement for Wood, where Wood gets dealt in a larger deal for a bat? Or bigger arm?

I've talked about Guthrie on other threads before, and I could see the Reds making a run at him. I'm sure the O's would ask for Alonso coming back, which seems steep for a rental of Guthrie's caliber, so hopefully they'd settle for less.

The Reds could do much worse than bringing in a reliable pitcher who has posted a sub 4 ERA pitching in the AL East 4 of the last 5 years. He would certainly be an improvement on the dreck coming out of the Volquez/Wood starts. This could be like the David Wells trade 16 years later.

EDIT: According to BR Guthrie, despite being 32 years old, is eligible for arbitration and not free agency next season. Therefore Alonso would be a reasonable price for him, especially if Baltimore sent some cash back in return. Luke Scott is another piece that might be available and could interest the Reds.

Yonder Alonso and Fred Lewis for Jeremy Guthrie and Luke Scott (and hopefully some cash). What say you?
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-20-2011 at 06:12 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Maybe they'd take Ramon Hernandez back
    Go BLUE!!!

A 2010 scouting report on Jeremy Guthrie from the blog LONG LIVE SHEA STADIUM:

http://longlivesheastadium.blogspot....y-guthrie.html

And here's a 2009 Fangraphs scouting report on Jonathan Sanchez:

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/ind...athan-sanchez/
    Last edited by Guacarock; 06-20-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Turn Off Ads?