Turn Off Ads?
Page 41 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Deals and Rumors

Re: Offseason Deals and Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Hannahan is one of the better bench players in MLB right now. He had a crappy year at the plate, but he's an elite fielder at 3B who can fill in at SS in a pinch.

The Reds needed someone to back up Frazier, and spell him on defense. Much to everyone's surprise, Frazier was outstanding in the field last year, and didn't need to be replaced for defense, so Hannahan didn't have much of a role.

But it was a smart signing, even if it didn't work out last year.
    Child Please

He's got a career OPS of .665. He has 124 XBH in 8 seasons. He may be a decent defender but he's still dreck. The only reason he has a job with the Reds is Jocketty's fetish for taking in bench players with an aversion to 1st base. OK, I can maybe see giving guys like Arroyo contracts that make them hard to trade or get rid of in order to get more favorable deals or just to get them signed. But JACK HANNAHAN? UFB. Sometimes Walt just bids against himself.

OK, so you want to waste a bench spot on a no-hit SS? - fine, but a corner reserve? Pitiful.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 02-06-2014 at 10:33 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...t-wieters.html

The Orioles have agreed to a one-year, $7.7MM deal to avoid arbitration with catcher Matt Wieters, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (via Twitter). The deal also includes award incentives, Heyman notes.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...n-starter.html

In an appearance today on Baltimore's WBAL Radio, club executive VP Dan Duquette indicated that he was not troubled by failing to land closer Fernando Rodney, saying that the Mariners "liked him a little bit more than us." (Links via Twitter, courtesy of MASNsports.com's Roch Kubatko.) Looking ahead, Duquette discussed some other moves the club hopes to make before the start of the season, saying that he hopes to reach an extension with shortstop J.J. Hardy and remains confident that the club will add a veteran starter to the rotation.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...relievers.html

After inking Rodney, the Mariners are "all in" and are "cautiously optimistic" that they will land outfielder Nelson Cruz, tweets Bob Nightengale of USA Today. We heard recently that Seattle was talking with Cruz and was willing to give him multiple years.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...my-hanson.html

The Rangers are engaged in talks with free agent starter Tommy Hanson, reports Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (via Twitter). Morosi reported earlier today that Hanson had received multiple offers.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...-espinosa.html

FEBRUARY 6: At least twelve teams have inquired with the Nationals about Espinosa's availability, reports MLB.com's Bill Ladson. However, the team remains unlikely at present to deal Espinosa, Ladson says.

I would guess the Reds may have looked into Espinosa. He is a SH, who has played 2B/SS, and would have had more upside than most other options for that spot.

6. Likes:

marcshoe (02-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...-espinosa.html

I would guess the Reds may have looked into Espinosa. He is a SH, who has played 2B/SS, and would have had more upside than most other options for that spot.
    I'd love to bring in Espinoza (but at the right price). He's had his issues recently, but at least there might be some XBH's in his bat. I wouldn't mind looking into Denard Span in a wider deal (although I'd much rather have a LH reseve OF bat with more pop) .

I might not be as harsh about a wasted spot guy like Hannahan if I thought the Reds were going to carry 11 pitchers and six bench bats, but don't see that. With 12 arms and five reserve bats though, you take anemic bas like Hannahan and maybe Santiago and 40% of your bench is wasted. On top of that, you're gonna have Pena who is not going to PH often since there would be no catcher in reserve and that's 60% of your bench that is next-to-useless if you need a pinch-hitter.

I have not problem really with Schmaker on the bench, but would consider like him much better as a 3rd or 4th option instead of a 2nd. Heisey alright if used right, but the fact that he will be the best option off the bench does not fill me with warm fuzzies.

I'm not even dreaming any longer of names like Kemp or Profar or Gardner. Gimme a Matt Joyce or Gerardo Parra or even a Joey Terdoslavich and I'd be deliriously happy at this point.

As it now stands, we're probably looking at a bench of:

Chris Heisey
    Skip Schumaker
    Brayan Pena
    Jack Hannahan
    Ramon Santiago

Bad. Very Bad.

A bench of:

Gerardo Parra/Denard Span/Joey Terdlosovich
    Chris Heisey
    Danny Espinoza/Emilio Bonafacio
    Skip Schumaker
    Brayan Pena

Not so bad and if Walt can't manage that (or better) at a very minimum then he should just drag the rocker out on the porch and go away.

I just realized how un-dumpable Hannahan's deal is. It boggles the mind that they would enter into a deal that binding with someone so marginal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Hannahan is a respected bench player. Excellent defensive third baseman.

He hit poorly last year, but a bench player doesn't get that much chance to overcome a bad start.

I'm pretty sure Jack will be on the club, and hopefully he will do better next year.
    I'm hoping he does better also, it's almost impossible for him not to. That doesn't mean I want a corner IF reserve with no stick. The Reds don't lack in defensive studs, they lack any punch off the bench.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I'm hoping he does better also, it's almost impossible for him not to. That doesn't mean I want a corner IF reserve with no stick. The Reds don't lack in defensive studs, they lack any punch off the bench.
    This x 10. For me, the biggest disappointment of the offseason isn't the Reds not coming up with a big name signing or trade, it's been the inability to upgrade the offense off the bench.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Hannahan had an acceptable OBP for a bench player, .317, and when he got more at bats with the Indians it has been even higher in the last few years.

But he hit for virtually no power last year with a very low .288 SLG.

A few more doubles and his numbers wouldn't be so bad.

11. Likes:

757690 (02-07-2014),Old school 1983 (02-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    This x 10. For me, the biggest disappointment of the offseason isn't the Reds not coming up with a big name signing or trade, it's been the inability to upgrade the offense off the bench.
    A healthy Ludwick will improve the Reds bench more than anything else. That's what killed the Reds' bench last year, they're two best bats off the bench were platooning in LF, leaving guys like Hannahan and Izturis as the pinch hitter.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

A healthy Ludwick will improve the Reds bench more than anything else. That's what killed the Reds' bench last year, they're two best bats off the bench were platooning in LF, leaving guys like Hannahan and Izturis as the pinch hitter.
    You're right, but they lost Paul and replaced him with Shumaker, who doesn't project to hit as well.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    You're right, but they lost Paul and replaced him with Shumaker, who doesn't project to hit as well.
    Heisey cannot continue to OBP below .300 and have such a terrible BB/K ratio. To me, if Heisey hits like he did in his early years, the bench will be fine.

Reds weakness now is in the outfield with an unproven Hamilton and an older Ludwick coming off injury. They need one backup outfielder to really come through.

Shumaker was signed IMO for versatility and leadership and he's a decent OBP guy with no power. I don't see him as a strong enough hitter to provide the outfield punch needed.

So a lot is riding on a turnaround by Heisey. It's an example of a hitter who needs work with the coaches it won't happen magically. He needs to be much more selective.

Heisey cannot continue to OBP below .300 and have such a terrible BB/K ratio.
    Of course he can.

16. Likes:

757690 (02-07-2014),camisadelgolf (02-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Of course he can.
    I like Heisey's enthusiasm, but he has one of the lowest baseball IQ's from a Red can remember.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Hannahan had an acceptable OBP for a bench player, .317, and when he got more at bats with the Indians it has been even higher in the last few years.

But he hit for virtually no power last year with a very low .288 SLG.

A few more doubles and his numbers wouldn't be so bad.
    How a LHH 3B can get 93.2% of his PA against RHP and still manage to OPS 0.605 is beyond me.

He reminded me of Paul Bako at the plate.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I like Heisey's enthusiasm, but he has one of the lowest baseball IQ's from a Red can remember.
    Schottzie was enthusiastic when he saw all that green plastic.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Turn Off Ads?